Post a reply

Re: BetVictor Championship League Stage one !!

Postby Juddernaut88

As much as I love Snooker the championship league has really bored me. Maybe having it a 3rd time this calendar year has contributed to me feeling this way or maybe it's just not an appealing event.
I can't wait for the European Masters tommorow. Finally get a chance to watch a proper tournament.

Postby SnookerFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:As much as I love Snooker the championship league has really bored me. Maybe having it a 3rd time this calendar year has contributed to me feeling this way or maybe it's just not an appealing event.
I can't wait for the European Masters tommorow. Finally get a chance to watch a proper tournament.

I agree.

After this fourth frame I'm turning off.

Snooker is a knockout game, not abgriup phase game.

Postby Andre147

Juddernaut88 wrote:As much as I love Snooker the championship league has really bored me. Maybe having it a 3rd time this calendar year has contributed to me feeling this way or maybe it's just not an appealing event.

Yeah can't believe they have the same tournament 3 times this year already! Don't think it's ever happened before, although the one Scott Donaldson won was the old format.

Postby Andre147

The way things are going we'll have the China Open played at Milton Keynes rofl

But jokes aside, if next year players still can't compete over there then the events will likely get scrapped.

Postby lhpirnie

Andre147 wrote:

Yeah can't believe they have the same tournament 3 times this year already! Don't think it's ever happened before, although the one Scott Donaldson won was the old format.

Yes, in my view these two 'Championship Leagues' are different tournaments from the one Scott Donaldson won. Essentially, I was unhappy he was stripped of his title early. But I guess it's all about marketing and sponsorship.

It's not a great tournament, and the format is difficult for players to have for their first match, as there's no opportunity to get going. The table conditions are horrible as well.

Postby Andre147

Iranu wrote:They could have called these the Premier League since that no longer exists.

I miss the Premier League. Many didn't enjoy because of the shot clock, but it was fun, one night stands, always a packed crowd and the atmosphere was great. AND it wasn't a ranking event.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:
Iranu wrote:They could have called these the Premier League since that no longer exists.

I miss the Premier League. Many didn't enjoy because of the shot clock, but it was fun, one night stands, always a packed crowd and the atmosphere was great. AND it wasn't a ranking event.

It was alright for an occasional viewing. I attended a couple. But whenever I tried to watch it on a weekly basis, I got bored of it.

Postby TheRocket

The Premier League used to be a proper event prior to the shot clock. It even had a bo17 final (bo19 at some stage) and topplayers took it seriously. The semis and finals were even played after the World Championship so the Premier League was the last tournament of the season. Or the latter stages lets say.

Once the shot clock was introduced and the final shortened to bo13 it lost its prestige.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:The Premier League used to be a proper event prior to the shot clock. It even had a bo17 final (bo19 at some stage) and topplayers took it seriously. The semis and finals were even played after the World Championship so the Premier League was the last tournament of the season. Or the latter stages lets say.

Once the shot clock was introduced and the final shortened to bo13 it lost its prestige.

Prestige yes, but it was still fun to watch, best players in the world on Thursday nights.

Postby Ck147

SnookerFan wrote:London looks like it might go into Lockdown again.

Good, some of the reports I've seen over the weekend and also Blackpool just beggars belief, but more the people who are there and complaining about it in the reports....WTF...you are contributing to it...jeez.

SF, there is coronavirus thread please use it.

Postby Cloud Strife

TheRocket wrote:The Premier League used to be a proper event prior to the shot clock. It even had a bo17 final (bo19 at some stage) and topplayers took it seriously. The semis and finals were even played after the World Championship so the Premier League was the last tournament of the season. Or the latter stages lets say.

It was still a prestigious event even after the shot clock was introduced. I'd say even more so because it was given prime time television coverage on Sky Sports and it was promoted really well by Barry Hearn as something very unique, whereas before you'd be hard pressed to know if the tournament even existed or not.

You can ask any player, they were all desperate to play in it.

Don't fall into the trap of listening to the idiots who's main gripe with the event was Ronnie winning it every year.

Postby SnookerFan

Ck147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:London looks like it might go into Lockdown again.

Good, some of the reports I've seen over the weekend and also Blackpool just beggars belief, but more the people who are there and complaining about it in the reports....WTF...you are contributing to it...jeez.

SF, there is coronavirus thread please use it.

The moderators (Wild) have decreed that because the referees wearing masks, we're allowed to talk about it in live snooker threads.

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:

It was still a prestigious event even after the shot clock was introduced. I'd say even more so because it was given prime time television coverage on Sky Sports and it was promoted really well by Barry Hearn as something very unique, whereas before you'd be hard pressed to know if the tournament even existed or not.

You can ask any player, they were all desperate to play in it.

Don't fall into the trap of listening to the idiots who's main gripe with the event was Ronnie winning it every year.

For me, the shot clock made it rubbish. Not who win it.

Also, never really liked league formats in snooker. How can snooker be enjoyed if there's a draw?