Post a reply

Matchroom.Live Northern Ireland Open Final !!!!!!

Postby Andre147

Image Image Image
Monday 16th - Sunday 22nd of November at The Marshal Arena, Milton Keynes

Here we are once again, for the 3rd year running we have an O'Sullivan v Trump Final at the same ranking event, something that hasn't happened since Hendry v White back at the World Championships between 92-94.

The h2h is pretty much tied, but one major stat is that Trump leads in Finals, and of course won their last two finals at this event, which clearly both players love, even if this year it's not played in Northern Ireland and behind close doors.

Can Judd Trump claim a 3rd consecutive ranking event title at the same tournament, something last seen in Hendry at the UK Champs 94-96, or can Ronnie O'Sullivan avoid joining Jimmy White in losing the Final to the same player 3 years running, last seen at the World Champs between 92-94?

Sit back and enjoy the Final!

DRAW

Judd Trump v Ronnie O'Sullivan

Click for Head to Heads

Overall Tied at 13-13
Main Tournaments O'Sullivan leads 12-11
Multi Session Matches Tied at 5-5
Finals Trump leads 6-3

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: Matchroom.Live Northern Ireland Open Final !!!!!!

Postby Juddernaut88

Come on Judd! Really hope he can play like he has in his last 3 finals against Ronnie but in an ideal world similar sort of scoreline to the Masters 2019 but it is going to be a close scoreline and a result that could go either way.

Postby TheRocket

two best players of the world. important match. there are much bigger tournaments than the Northern Ireland Open but its about beating the other best player in a final and get a mental edge over him which is important in their next meetings which for sure will come in the future.
Last edited by TheRocket on 21 Nov 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Iranu

TheRocket wrote:two best players of the world. important match. there are much bigger tournaments than the Northern Ireland Open but its about beating the other best player in a final and get a mental edge over him which is important in their next meetings which for sure will come in the future.

I’d correct this to:

For Ronnie it’s about gaining the mental edge and for Judd it’s about keeping the mental edge

But otherwise I agree.

Postby Prop

I reckon Ronnie’s going to have to find the same kind of inspiration he did after the MSI against Carter in the semi, but pretty much all match.

Judd likes playing him. And he’s finding his best game more regularly and more consistently than Ronnie currently is.

Should be a good one.

Postby HustleKing

Apologies to Ronnie fans in advance, but as I will be rooting for Ronnie for the first time ever tomorrow, he will surely lose as soon as I want him to win!

Postby Andre147

HustleKing wrote:Apologies to Ronnie fans in advance, but as I will be rooting for Ronnie for the first time ever tomorrow, he will surely lose as soon as I want him to win!

Root for Trump then.

Postby D4P

We might have reached a point where Ronnie's best chance of beating Judd would be to become a "Torturer" or sorts and do to Judd what Selby has done before to Ronnie, i.e. keep the game a bit scrappy and try not to let Judd get any kind of rhythm.

That said, Ronnie would rather lose playing a wide open game than try to win by grinding, so I expect Ronnie to play his normal attacking style and for Judd to win his 19th ranking event tomorrow.
Last edited by D4P on 21 Nov 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Postby TheRocket

D4P wrote:We might have reached a point where Ronnie's best chance of beating Judd would be to become a "Torturer" or sorts and do to Judd what Selby has done before to Ronnie, i.e. keep the game a bit scrappy and try not to let Judd get any kind of rhythm.

That said, Ronnie would rather lose playing a wide open game than try to win by grinding, so I expect Ronnie to play his normal attacking style and for Judd to win his 19th ranking event tomorrow,

Trump is a good tactical player nowadays. I actually think scrappy frames will benefit Trump more than Ronnie. ROS needs to outscore him. thats the only way. He is capable but cant afford to miss sitters

Postby Juddernaut88

HustleKing wrote:Apologies to Ronnie fans in advance, but as I will be rooting for Ronnie for the first time ever tomorrow, he will surely lose as soon as I want him to win!

How about you stay neutral :-) Every time I want Man City to win they seem to lose especially against bloody Tottenham! whenever I want them to lose they win!

Postby D4P

The context of tomorrow's final will be a bit different from the two previous finals, in that in 2018 Ronnie had just won the CoC two days before the NI Open started, and he mostly played kamikaze on his way to unexpectedly reaching the final. In 2019, Ronnie again played kamikaze on his way to unexpectedly reaching the final. In both cases, it was clear that he wasn't 100% invested in "winning".

But the 2020 NI Open has been a completely different story, as Ronnie hasn't played one iota of kamikaze and has looked very committed to winning since day one. That being said, though losing 9-7 to Judd again tomorrow would actually be a pretty decent showing for Ronnie at this point in his career...

Postby Andre147

Certainly don't want ROS to join Jimmy on 3 consecutive final defeats to the same player, as I said in the intro.

Ronnie will have to play like he did against Carter after the MSI, but this time he needs it for the whole match or 90% of it.

Postby D4P

A win tomorrow for Ronnie would arguably be one of the single most impressive victories of his career, not in the sense of winning the NI Open but in the sense of beating Judd at this stage in their careers.

Postby TheRocket

it will be interesting to see if ROS still comes back to the table when he needs like 7,8 snookers tomorrow. If he does it could lead to some tension in the match. Carter was annoyed today and complained in the post match interview. The angry man is always annoyed anyway but I want to see if ROS does it against Trump as well.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:it will be interesting to see if ROS still comes back to the table when he needs like 7,8 snookers tomorrow. If he does it could lead to some tension in the match. Carter was annoyed today and complained in the post match interview. The angry man is always annoyed anyway but I want to see if ROS does it against Trump as well.

Where did you find Carter's post-match interview?

Postby TheRocket

Andre147 wrote:
TheRocket wrote:it will be interesting to see if ROS still comes back to the table when he needs like 7,8 snookers tomorrow. If he does it could lead to some tension in the match. Carter was annoyed today and complained in the post match interview. The angry man is always annoyed anyway but I want to see if ROS does it against Trump as well.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/11/21/ronnie-o ... -13633623/

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Cheers mate.

I can understand his frustration, but it wasn't a reason to lose the match. I actually think Ronnie will do the same against Trump, but Trump won't be worried about it.

Postby Iranu

TheRocket wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

How the buck is that “what Ronnie always does”? rofl

Postby Holden Chinaski

Iranu wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Carter <doh>

How are you today, Iranu? Just read about your trip to the hospital yesterday. Hope all is well.

Postby Holden Chinaski

I hope Ronnie's long game will be good. If he can pot the long ones, he has every chance of winning.

Judd is the best player in the world right now and he's in his prime while Ronnie is obviously getting older, but if Ronnie plays as brilliant as he did in the last frames against Carter, he can beat anyone.

Postby hendry_fan

Juddernaut88 wrote:Come on Judd! Really hope he can play like he has in his last 3 finals against Ronnie but in an ideal world similar sort of scoreline to the Masters 2019 but it is going to be a close scoreline and a result that could go either way.

Good morning Mr Juddernaut. :-)

You must be :mental: ,but also nervous.

I won,t be able to see the first session,as i,m goin to visit a freind this afternoon.

If Judd wins,he,ll equal Hendrys record of Finals won in a row,(10). >-(

So in that case,i,m gonna root for Ronnie,yep,you read correctly!.

I can,t remember the last time i rooted for the Ronster, :chin: but i don,t want Judd equaling,to have the chance to beat Hendrys record. :no:

I bet i got you there eh!. ;-)

i,m only jesting,I,m ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTIN for Judd!. :-D

COME ONNNNNNNNN JUDD!,give Ronnie a face fulllllllllllll of cake!. <laugh> :happy: :happy:

Postby hendry_fan

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Iranu wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Carter <doh>

How are you today, Iranu? Just read about your trip to the hospital yesterday. Hope all is well.

And i just read bout your trip to the hospital now Iranu!.I also hope all is well!. <ok>

Postby 1892

hendry_fan wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:Come on Judd! Really hope he can play like he has in his last 3 finals against Ronnie but in an ideal world similar sort of scoreline to the Masters 2019 but it is going to be a close scoreline and a result that could go either way.

Good morning Mr Juddernaut. :-)

You must be :mental: ,but also nervous.

I won,t be able to see the first session,as i,m goin to visit a freind this afternoon.

If Judd wins,he,ll equal Hendrys record of Finals won in a row,(10). >-(

So in that case,i,m gonna root for Ronnie,yep,you read correctly!.

I can,t remember the last time i rooted for the Ronster, :chin: but i don,t want Judd equaling,to have the chance to beat Hendrys record. :no:

I bet i got you there eh!. ;-)

i,m only jesting,I,m ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTIN for Judd!. :-D

COME ONNNNNNNNN JUDD!,give Ronnie a face fulllllllllllll of cake!. <laugh> :happy: :happy:

Didn’t Judd’s run end when he lost the Championship League final to Kyren?

I know it is a marmite event, but still ranking.