Post a reply

Re: Betway UK Championship Last 64 !!!!!

Postby Iranu

TheRocket wrote:
Iranu wrote:Murphy has definitely achieved above his ability.

I disagree with that. He's won them all and got to 3 World finals in total. Which is 2 more than Robertson. In 2015 he wasnt far away from winning a second World title.

Yes, and I’m saying that’s achieving above his ability.

The guy still has no safety game and there’s no finesse to his breakbuilding, it’s all crash bang wallop. If Murphy needs to cannon one ball off a cushion to win a frame, he ain’t winning that frame.

If he didn’t win the world title in 2005, I wonder if he’d even be a top 16 player.

Postby cupotee

Good to see more and more south east asian players get into the last 16’s and 8’s of big tournaments , hopefully the penny will drop to the casual british viewer about the lack of facilities for generations of youth in britain . <ok>

Postby cupotee

Iranu wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

I disagree with that. He's won them all and got to 3 World finals in total. Which is 2 more than Robertson. In 2015 he wasnt far away from winning a second World title.

The guy still has no safety game and there’s no finesse to his breakbuilding, it’s all crash bang wallop. If Murphy needs to cannon one ball off a cushion to win a frame, he ain’t winning that frame.

If he didn’t win the world title in 2005, I wonder if he’d even be a top 16 player.

yes looking back just now it seems very reminiscent of griffiths in 79 , tg just caught the boat before steve davis kicked into gear .
Last edited by cupotee on 29 Nov 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Postby csprince

Iranu wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

he is a top16 player.

Postby Ck147

Iranu wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

Yeah, he's a plum

Postby TheRocket

You should all watch the Masters 2015 and see what level Murphy can produce. Especially when he destroyed Robertson 10:2 in the final.

He is a pretty weak safety player for Top16 standards, thats obvious but on a good day he is extremely good in what he can do the best which is scoring and potting.

Remember what Bruce Lee said. 'I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times'.

Postby cupotee

murphy should practice with mark williams , you can see the tactical quality in williams pupil jackson page , williams won 6 straight this evening agains akani who looked up for it , not bad .

Postby Iranu

TheRocket wrote:You should all watch the Masters 2015 and see what level Murphy can produce. Especially when he destroyed Robertson 10:2 in the final.

He is a pretty weak safety player for Top16 standards, thats obvious but on a good day he is extremely good in what he can do the best which is scoring and potting.

Remember what Bruce Lee said. 'I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times'.

Matt Selt just made 5 centuries in a bo11.

Being able to play devastating snooker doesn’t mean you’re a top player.

Postby Cloud Strife

Of course Murphy would have been a top 16 player, with or without his 2005 World title win. He'd have been a fixture just as he is now.

I find it astonishing people can even question this TBH.

Postby Iranu

csprince wrote:
Iranu wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

he is a top16 player.

Yes, I’m aware?

Postby Iranu

Cloud Strife wrote:Of course Murphy would have been a top 16 player, with or without his 2005 World title win. He'd have been a fixture just as he is now.

Not convinced. But for that he wouldn’t have had automatic entry into tournaments the next season and I have a feeling that made a huge difference.

Of course, it’s all academic. He DID win the World Title and he IS a mainstay of the top 16.

I just find it amazing that he’s a TC and CoC winner with his game.

Postby cupotee

Prop wrote:I thought he was practicing with Fergal? Maybe that’s not doing him any good after all.

i saw this piece once where fergal was playing 20's - 30's music on a gramophone on a beach , maybe not the best scene to go back to basics i don't know .

Postby HappyCamper

Prop wrote:I thought he was practicing with Fergal? Maybe that’s not doing him any good after all.

he was when he first moved to ireland, but not at the moment i think as he is in quarantine whenever he goes home between tournaments.
Last edited by HappyCamper on 29 Nov 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Postby TheRocket

Iranu wrote:
TheRocket wrote:You should all watch the Masters 2015 and see what level Murphy can produce. Especially when he destroyed Robertson 10:2 in the final.

Matt Selt just made 5 centuries in a bo11.

Being able to play devastating snooker doesn’t mean you’re a top player.

Selt is a mere journeyman who cant back it up. Murphy has proven on several occasions he can play a high level throughout a whole tournament and thats why he's won the titles he has.

You can call him a poor allrounder or safety player but his potting and scoring ability have proven to be enough to compete at the highest level and even win a World title.

Postby Cloud Strife

Iranu wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:Of course Murphy would have been a top 16 player, with or without his 2005 World title win. He'd have been a fixture just as he is now.

Not convinced. But for that he wouldn’t have had automatic entry into tournaments the next season and I have a feeling that made a huge difference.

Of course, it’s all academic. He DID win the World Title and he IS a mainstay of the top 16.

I just find it amazing that he’s a TC and CoC winner with his game.

I think he'd have got there eventually. Obviously would have taken him abit longer without the World title.

As we have seen over the years, you don't have to be that good to be in the 16.

Postby Cloud Strife

cupotee wrote:top of my head as i'm typing now i do think 2005 murphy for that year at least was the worst world champion of the 2000's .

Graeme Dott was worse.

Postby TheRocket

cupotee wrote:top of my head as i'm typing now i do think 2005 murphy for that year at least was the worst world champion of the 2000's .

yeah he only beat Higgins,Davis and Ebdon along the way. And prime Stevens in the final. Not bad for a 22 year old dude.

Postby cupotee

Cloud Strife wrote:

Graeme Dott was worse.

personally i think 06 dott would beat 05 murphy , dott showed more than enough grit when he's at his best , its subjective but i'd take best dott to beat best murphy at the crucible .

Postby cupotee

TheRocket wrote:

yeah he only beat Higgins,Davis and Ebdon along the way. And prime Stevens in the final. Not bad for a 22 year old dude.

personally that doesn't strike me as that big an achievement , higgins had one eye on bringing up his kids then and davis ? and ebdon , nah , also murphy nearly beat doherty in the first round at the crucible two years previously so he'd been around the block , i'd take dott .

Postby TheRocket

cupotee wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

personally that doesn't strike me as that big an achievement , higgins had one eye on bringing up his kids then and davis ? and ebdon , nah , also murphy nearly beat doherty in the first round at the crucible two years previously so he'd been around the block , i'd take dott .

Murphy was 22. You'd expect Higgins,Davis or Ebdon to use their experience and tie him up with their tactical game. They couldnt because Murphy outscored and outpotted them. In the final he showed that he had the better nerves against the more experienced Stevens in a high scoring match.

my point is the guy is not as bad as people portray him. Calling him a non-topplayer is a joke.
He is a player who is in the Ebdon/Parrott tier.

Postby cupotee

TheRocket wrote:
cupotee wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

Murphy was 22. You'd expect Higgins,Davis or Ebdon to use their experience and tie him up with their tactical game. They couldnt because Murphy outscored and outpotted them. In the final he showed that he had the better nerves against the more experienced Stevens in a high scoring match.

my point is the guy is not asbad as people portray him. Calling him a non-topplayer is a joke.
He is a player who is in the Ebdon/Parrott tier.

i'm kind of indifferent to him as a player , if i was some associate of his i would of got him to work on the gritty match play side of the game , he nearly didn't even make it to this round because of his cavalier style nearly lost to lee walker , again i'm not that bothered abou him though , just observing .

Postby HappyCamper

Dan-cat wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:125 for jordan brown

He's getting the train home?

unlikely, east midlands still have class 43s still in their fleet but don't have any services to mk.

jamie jones has won though.