Post a reply

Favourite UK Championship Moment

Postby Alex0paul

What is your personal favourite moment from the United Kingdom Championship?

Re: Favourite UK Championship Moment

Postby Andre147

Personal favourite: ROS maximum against Selby, 2007 UK Champs Semi-Final

But without ROS involved in it, it's definately the 2010 UK Champs Final, Higgins winning 10-9 v MJW, after 9-5 down and requiring a snooker at one point.

Postby PLtheRef

Both the 147s I've been lucky enough to see live have both come at the UK Championship - both of them special in their own way but vastly different.

Seeing Selby make the 2013 in the Semi-Final against Walden showed just how special a 147 break is in making or breaking a match or session. - Take the maximum out of the picture and that would have been otherwise a rather poor session of snooker - considering it is a UK Championship Semi-Final.

The other 147 (Robertson's 2015 effort in the Final against Liang) is special in that despite looking on from about two reds in, it still doesn't make it any less nervewracking to watch

For a match - I would probably go for something different - the 2012 quarter-final between Murphy and Brecel as it had pretty much everything. - Perhaps a strange choice given that I'm not a fan of the Best of 11 frame format and still think it takes something away from the UK Championship

Postby Ck147

Robbo making a 147 in the final against Wenbo in 2015

Postby cupotee

don't really have one but hendry's blue with the rest to tie the 90 final 15 - 15 vs davis deserves a shout , i asked him a few years ago would he still play that shot today , he said yes he would the pockets weren't that much bigger than today , i didn't believe him but said nothing <cool>

Postby snucar

cupotee wrote:don't really have one but hendry's blue with the rest to tie the 90 final 15 - 15 vs davis deserves a shout , i asked him a few years ago would he still play that shot today , he said yes he would the pockets weren't that much bigger than today , i didn't believe him but said nothing <cool>

Definitely, one of the greatest matches in history! 2 titans battling it out to the last frame. I rate the Davis vs Hendry rivalry as the greatest rivalry in snooker history. Shame that we never got the chance to watch these two great players facing each other at their peak and possibly in a World final.

Postby Prop

snucar wrote:
cupotee wrote:don't really have one but hendry's blue with the rest to tie the 90 final 15 - 15 vs davis deserves a shout , i asked him a few years ago would he still play that shot today , he said yes he would the pockets weren't that much bigger than today , i didn't believe him but said nothing <cool>

Definitely, one of the greatest matches in history! 2 titans battling it out to the last frame. I rate the Davis vs Hendry rivalry as the greatest rivalry in snooker history. Shame that we never got the chance to watch these two great players facing each other at their peak and possibly in a World final.

We never got to see a Hendry O’Sullivan world final either. The 2002 semi was a great match though.

Postby Ronnie79

snucar wrote:

If neither of them were at their peak how could it be the greatest rivalry in the sport ?. plus it was fairly one sided towards Hendry

Postby SnookerEd25

Ronnie79 wrote:
snucar wrote:

If neither of them were at their peak how could it be the greatest rivalry in the sport ?. plus it was fairly one sided towards Hendry

I think the skewed numbers toward Hendry reflect that the H2H dragged on 'til about 2010, and Hendry won almost all of their 21st Century encounters (the 2005 UK SF being a notable exception); for those of us who remember Hendry steamrollering his way through the pack, and Davis desperately trying to cling onto his status as top dog, the early to mid 90s rivalry (when they met in quite a number of major SFs & Finals) was arguably up there with any in history. Hendry was rapidly approaching his peak, and Davis was only a smidgen past his so it stands from that perspective too.