Post a reply

Re: Betfred Masters Quarter Final: Stephen Maguire v Yan Bin

Postby lhpirnie

Andre147 wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:Yess he cleared up with highest break of the tournament :happy:

His personal highest break

Didn't he get a 142 against Doherty in the 2015 World Cup, aged 15?

Perhaps that doesn't count as a professional match.

It didn't.

His highest was 138 at the 2018 China Open.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2wfog4

Postby LDS

Yan won a match 6-5 against an aging and declining pro...

LET'S ALL GET REALLY OVER-EXCITED ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!

He played well in some frames sporadically, sometimes looking masterful, sometimes looking amateur, yes, he might win more matches in the future, but you're not the next Trump after every time you win a match! <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

LDS wrote:Yan won a match 6-5 against an aging and declining pro...

He played well in some frames sporadically, sometimes looking masterful, sometimes looking amateur, yes, he might win more matches in the future, but you're not the next Trump after every time you win a match! <laugh>

Who said he was the next Trump?

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Oh yeah. Gilbert won.

I was thinking all day Wilson did.

Yesterday was :zzz:

Is it bad I fell asleep for 5 mins or so during there decider yesterday?

Yes.

Should've been for longer.

rofl

Postby LDS

SnookerFan wrote:Who said he was the next Trump?

Thankfully, no-one yet...

Though he has been so far compared to both Ray Reardon and Steve Davis...

Because, of course, he can't be the next Cliff Thorburn or the next Dennis Taylor... Let alone the next Alan McManus...

GOTTA BE GOD TIER COMPARISONS IMMEDIATELY

;-)

<laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

LDS wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Who said he was the next Trump?

Thankfully, no-one yet...

Though he has been so far compared to both Ray Reardon and Steve Davis...

Because, of course, he can't be the next Cliff Thorburn or the next Dennis Taylor... Let alone the next Alan McManus...

GOTTA BE GOD TIER COMPARISONS IMMEDIATELY

;-)

<laugh>

He does play a mature safety game for his age, to be fair.

Postby LDS

SnookerFan wrote:And don't forget, Yan already knocked out Robertson? Or is he in decline, as well?

To be honest, yes.

But then we're getting into the whole aging top 16 versus the bereft youth talent debate and what Ronnie was talking about last year.

Robertson can still win matches, but, jeez, even a big fan of him is noticing his tendency to get befuddled more and more with many of his frames turning into thorburnesque trials of endurance rather than sparkling snooker. Which is all a far cry from his heyday of 8 minute frames and non-stop centuries.
Last edited by LDS on 15 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby lhpirnie

LDS wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:And don't forget, Yan already knocked out Robertson? Or is he in decline, as well?

To be honest, yes.

But then we're getting into the whole aging top 16 versus the bereft youth talent debate and what Ronnie was talking about last year.

Robertson can still win matches, but, jeez, even a big fan of him is noticing his tendency to get befuddled more and more with many of his frames turning into thorburnesque trials of endurance rather than sparkling snooker. Which is all a far cry from his heyday of 8 minute frames and non-stop centuries.

People always overestimate Robertson. Don't get me wrong, I really like him and think he's a great player. But everyone thinks of him as the '8 minute frames and non-stop centuries' all the time. Actually, his record isn't as good as that. He has his bad runs just like everyone else.

Postby Pink Ball

LDS wrote:Yan won a match 6-5 against an aging and declining pro...

Who's getting over-excited?

Do I think he's the best tactical player I've seen AT HIS AGE? Yes.
Do I think he's the best young (under-25) player on the tour? By a mile.
Based on question two, do I think he has the POTENTIAL to have a hugely successful career? Yes.

Would I be willing to go any further than that? No, I don't think so.

Postby LDS

Andre147 wrote:Robertson in decline?

rofl

Yes, you can see it clearly from his stats:

TC events:

Heyday: Worlds: 08/09 SF, 09/10 W, 10/11 QF, 13/14 SF, 14/15 QF - a genuine shock when he exits at round 1 the two times in between.

Current form: Worlds: no longer expected to get past QFs, even though people still rate him and theoretically he's a top seed 13/14 was his last SF.

Heyday: Masters: Regular finalist 10/11-13/14

Current form: Masters: One SF in the last 6 years, and that wasn't extremely recent.

Heyday: UK: 10/11 - 15/16, regular QF+ with a R4 being a big surprise.

Current form: UK: a surprise win after 4 years of not even making the QFs - and it was a match full of very... 'difficult'... frames.

And not to take anything from any of his wins, he's still a very good player, but we're talking about whether he's 'declining' or not, by his own standard, and yes, he is, it would be unnatural if he wasn't.

As Ronnie says, he's as surprised as anyone that the youngsters aren't already creaming all these old pros.

Postby Iranu

It’s not just that Yan’s beating ‘ageing players’. It’s that he’s outsmarting them that’s so impressive.

And to make his highest break in potentially one of the biggest frames of his career was more than a lot of you g players would do.

Nobody’s saying he’ll be a record breaker. But it’s undeniable that he's doing extremely well.