Post a reply

Race to the Crucible: Qualifying Round 1 (April 5th~7th)

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Monday 5th - Wednesday 7th Of April at the English Institute of Sport, Sheffield

About 8 months since Ronnie O'Sullivan captured the World Championship for the 6th time the Betfred World championship starts all over again with the 35th staging at the famous Crucible theatre in Sheffield.

Just before last year's championship we lost Willie Thorne who played there 19 times and earlier this year Doug Mountjoy left us he was runner up to Steve Davis in 1981 having played there 17 times last time in 1993.

During qualifying there will be a lot of players dreaming of playing there for the first time. This will be Paul Davison 25th World Championship campaign between 1993 and 2020 and never qualified Best hes managed is Last 64 in 1997 and 2011, but he still dreams.

Last year Anthony McGill as a qualifier reached the semi-final having won 2 matches to qualify but this year he will be seeded at no 16. Chinese players Zhou Yuelong, Xiao Guodong and Zhao Xintong did not enter last season because of travelling restrictions but this year they are in the draw coming in at the 3rd round stage.

But the 1st Round and what a Mouth Watering Match its thrown up where Stephen Hendry making a comeback will be playing his old adversary Jimmy White in this round it will be their 8th Match in the World Championship dating back to 1988 second round won by White..

Players in Round 1 that's appeared at the Crucible

Stephen Hendry 27 1986-2012
Jimmy White 25 1981-2006
Ken Doherty 19 1991-2014
Fergal O’Brien 10 1994-2017
Andy Hicks 8 1995-2007
Barry Pinches 3 1991-2005
Lee Walker 3 1997-2004
Rory McLeod 3 2009-2017
Michael White 3 2013-2016
Rod Lawler 2 1995 and 1996
Peter Lines 1 1998
Leo Fernandez 1 1999
Mitchell Mann 1 2016
James Cahill 1 2019
Jamie Clarke 1 2020
Ashley Carty 1 2020

Who will progress in to Round 2 and keep their hopes alive?

DRAW

Selected 1st Round Matches
Jimmy White v Stephen Hendry
Ken Doherty v Lee Walker
Oliver Lines v Dylan Emery
Fraser Patrick v Leo Fernandez
Barry Pinches v Jamie Wilson
Andy Hicks v Reanne Evans
Brandon Sargeant v Rebecca Kenna
Rod Lawler v Alex Borg
Fergal O'Brien v Fergal Quinn
Jamie Clarke v Iulian Boiko
Igor Figueiredo v Farakh Ajaib
Rory McLeod v Brian Ochoiski
Ashley Carty v Michael White
Peter Lines v Mark Lloyd
Allan Taylor v Bai Langning
James Cahill v Sean Maddocks
Peter Devlin v Lukas Kleckers
Aaron Hill v Ashley Hugill
Mitchell Mann v Robbie McGuigan

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: Race to the Crucible: Qualifying Round 1 (April 5th~7th)

Postby Reg Varney

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Reg Varney wrote:My man Barry Pinches' year!

Is he getting his free bus pass? :chin:

Haha! No, after over thirty years on the tour he's finally going to push his career earnings past the half a million mark. I can feel it!

Postby SnookerEd25

Reg Varney wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:
Reg Varney wrote:My man Barry Pinches' year!

Is he getting his free bus pass? :chin:

Haha! No, after over thirty years on the tour he's finally going to push his career earnings past the half a million mark. I can feel it!

:chuckle: Hope so. I like Barry. He’s a good lad, and if the snooker earnings ever dry up, he can get a side job as a Paul Merton lookalike. <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Can they not do this for the Hendry vs Jimmy White match too?

https://wst.tv/judgement-day-to-be-broa ... d-youtube/

On Talking Snooker Hearn said he’s in talks with Eurosport to try and get the match televised.

They can’t just show it on YouTube because Eurosport have the rights.

Really?

I did wonder if they'd find a way, if only just for that match. Let's hope so.

Dave Hendon did seem to suggest that it was App Only on Twitter yesterday, but that may just be as it stands.

If Hendry vs White gets on Eurosport main channel, I may not bother going through the effort of signing up to The App.

I hope Eurosport don't read this, and decide they want my money. :emb:

Postby mick745

SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Can they not do this for the Hendry vs Jimmy White match too?

https://wst.tv/judgement-day-to-be-broa ... d-youtube/

On Talking Snooker Hearn said he’s in talks with Eurosport to try and get the match televised.

They can’t just show it on YouTube because Eurosport have the rights.

Really?

I did wonder if they'd find a way, if only just for that match. Let's hope so.

Dave Hendon did seem to suggest that it was App Only on Twitter yesterday, but that may just be as it stands.

If Hendry vs White gets on Eurosport main channel, I may not bother going through the effort of signing up to The App.

I hope Eurosport don't read this, and decide they want my money. :emb:

There is usually a way and this match will have by far the biggest audience ever for a world qualifier IF they can broadcast it on a platform most people can access.

Youtube would seem the easiest. And Eurosport would make more money from the increased audience (through advertisers) and surely some may even sign up to their packages long term as a result of finding out what a quality service they offer.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:I'm still not holding my breath that it'll be on proper telly, but maybe I'm a cynic.

I'll give it to Sunday night/Monday morning and if it's not on TV maybe sort out some internet watching options.

Barry Hearn says hes doing everything he can to put it on TV

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I'm still not holding my breath that it'll be on proper telly, but maybe I'm a cynic.

I'll give it to Sunday night/Monday morning and if it's not on TV maybe sort out some internet watching options.

Barry Hearn says hes doing everything he can to put it on TV

<ok>