Post a reply

Re: Shaun Murphy Watache Thread

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:The chalk thing didn't happen. We covered this a few weeks ago.

Another example of a misreported incident becoming folklore.

Didn't we just have Shaun's word for that? Many years after the event? Did anybody else confirm Shaun's side of the story?

Well whose word was that the story came from in the first place? He was seen chatting to the ref while he waited for Mags to get his chalk. That's the story.

Wasn't the tournament director also involved?

Postby Juddernaut88

I've never had an issue with Murphy to be honest. Never understood the hate he gets. He is a good attacking player and good to watch.

Postby Running side

Juddernaut88 wrote:I've never had an issue with Murphy to be honest. Never understood the hate he gets. He is a good attacking player and good to watch.

+1

Postby SnookerFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:I've never had an issue with Murphy to be honest. Never understood the hate he gets. He is a good attacking player and good to watch.

My original point being that I can see why some people would find him annoying, but I also think he's not ill-meaning the majority.

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Didn't we just have Shaun's word for that? Many years after the event? Did anybody else confirm Shaun's side of the story?

Well whose word was that the story came from in the first place? He was seen chatting to the ref while he waited for Mags to get his chalk. That's the story.

Yes. The tournament organiser applies the rules. This is done routinely with docking frames for players being late. No reason to think this wouldn't have happened without any hypothetical intervention from Murphy.

Postby SnookerFan

HappyCamper wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Yes. The tournament organiser applies the rules. This is done routinely with docking frames for players being late. No reason to think this wouldn't have happened without any hypothetical intervention from Murphy.

True.

I'll concede that none of us were actually there to be privy to the conversation.

Postby Prop

Running side wrote:Been in Shaun's company a few times when he lived and practiced in Rotherham/Sheffield, always thought he came across a genuine, pleasant guy, not one of the lads type but approachable. Hope he plays well in s/fand hopefully final. Tip, if you wanted to distract him start eating chocolate, it will drive him crazy.

True this. I chatted to him at an exhibition a few years ago and he is a nice guy. A couple of genuine legends (probably the two most popular players ever) that have been to my local club weren’t interested in opening any dialogue at all. They played the frames, signed the rubbish, and off they went.

Shaun gets stick because, if anything, he’s too ‘nice’. He likes the limelight. Likes to be liked. That can turn people off.

Personalities aside, his snooker is very watacheable.

Postby McManusFan

Murphy definitely went through a period of coming across as a bit of a idiot, especially when commenting on Ronnie's antics of the day - he just came across as a bit of a toadie, and sticking his neck in. He seems to have put a stop to that sort of thing, and even said he was sorry about some of his critical comments in the past. He's been much more likable ever since, and knocking Judd out of the tournament just puts the icing on the cake!

Come on you wee blue bastard!

Postby Juddernaut88

McManusFan wrote:Murphy definitely went through a period of coming across as a bit of a idiot, especially when commenting on Ronnie's antics of the day - he just came across as a bit of a toadie, and sticking his neck in. He seems to have put a stop to that sort of thing, and even said he was sorry about some of his critical comments in the past. He's been much more likable ever since, and knocking Judd out of the tournament just puts the icing on the cake!

>-( >-(

Postby McManusFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:
McManusFan wrote:Murphy definitely went through a period of coming across as a bit of a idiot, especially when commenting on Ronnie's antics of the day - he just came across as a bit of a toadie, and sticking his neck in. He seems to have put a stop to that sort of thing, and even said he was sorry about some of his critical comments in the past. He's been much more likable ever since, and knocking Judd out of the tournament just puts the icing on the cake!

>-( >-(

Sorry J88, nothing personal. I know how crap it is when one of your favourites goes out.

Postby The_Abbott

Murphy is one of those players that does himself no favours at times. He speaks well sometimes but so smug other times. It makes it easier to like other players over him but he's not as bas as some people make out.

Postby badtemperedcyril

SnookerFan wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:My girlfriend was watching a bit of snooker with me yesterday and she said she thinks Shaun seems like a nice guy. Should I dump her? <laugh>

To be honest, I'm actually starting to like Shaun myself. I used to dislike him a lot because he comes across so smug, but I actually think he's not so bad now. He's funny on Twitter and he is great to watch when he's playing his A-game.

Sorry, just being honest :emb:

This discussion has been had before on here.

I don't think Shaun Murphy is deliberately a malicious person. Just a bit up himself. Quite often he believes he's doing the right thing.

That whole thing with Mags and the chalk was a pretty awful thing to do. But I don't think he was aiming it at Maguire, or trying to get an advantage. As nasty as it was, I do believe he thought he was upholding the rules out of reverence to the game.

Most of his other annoyances, like running to the press every time he has an opinion on something or providing commentary whilst still in an event feels like he believes he's giving back the sport. Misguided maybe, but not deliberately mean.

Unlike somebody like Mark Allen who blames every Chinese people for cheating when he loses to one, has a go at Mark Joyce's family for no reason and gets the mother of his child evicted from gainful employment because he doesn't want her in the studio when he's practicing. Shaun can be an annoying jobsworth, but I believe he means well in his own way.

I agree with all that.

It’s a shame he got bullied as a kid but nevertheless, it’s difficult to find a likeable side to him. It’s his smugness, his stupid contorted face pulls, his overtly polite manner, it’s all so fake.

Btw, I notice he’s gone out to a tempting 12/1 outright

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:Can Shaun turn things around this afternoon?

He certainly can, but will he? :chin:

Let’s watache...

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerEd25 wrote:

He certainly can, but will he? :chin:

Let’s watache...

It will be an intriguing battle.

Postby SnookerFan

He can. He's got the game, and it's a four-session match.

Kyren still needs eleven frames, he'll need to press his advantage.

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:Murphy trailing 8-3, really needs this 12th frame.

Got it. Watache the magic man go now...

...to the dressing room, for the MSI

Postby HappyCamper

murphy should win a greater proportion of frames and lose a smaller proportion of frames.