Post a reply

Re: Betfred World Championship (Saturday May 1st) Semi Final

Postby Andre147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Hopefully Bingham will have had a laid bet - take the edge off the loss

If you're accusing Bingham of match fixing, you better think twice, otherwise you won't be here the next 2 days. ;-)

Postby Andre147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:Hopefully Bingham will have had a laid bet - take the edge off the loss

If you're accusing Bingham of match fixing, you better think twice, otherwise you won't be here the next 2 days. ;-)

I never mentioned match fixing - you did!!

Your post implies that.

Postby motorhead

SnookerFan wrote:I thought most people on here thought it was gamesmanship?

I don't know if it is or it isn't, but why is Bingham getting blamed for saying what a lot of others are?

because of the identical AST's?

Postby Pink Ball

Andre147 wrote:

We know what he's getting at, but it's fair game in my opinion to have a crack at players for these misdemeanours. I do it to Higgins all the time, so fair is fair.

This is, unfortunately, a bit of slagging Bingham has gots to takes.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/snooker/41807797

Postby motorhead

Andre147 wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

I never mentioned match fixing - you did!!

Your post implies that.

not really, he mentioned betting.

Postby Iranu

motorhead wrote:

I don't know if it is or it isn't, but why is Bingham getting blamed for saying what a lot of others are?

Context matters.

Postby motorhead

Iranu wrote:
motorhead wrote:

Context matters.

Yes, you win it's all good. You lose you feel hard done by.

Postby HappyCamper

the issue was inordinate time taken over individual shots. that wouldn't show up in the ast comparisons.

e - bingham also acknowledged that some frames just went awkward because of how the balls went, which caused both to be slow at times.
Last edited by HappyCamper on 01 May 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Pink Ball

motorhead wrote:

I don't think that's a very nuanced look at things, to be fair. I don't care if a fella needs to take time at a shot. But you do have to make a call at some point if you're a referee and you feel someone is taking more time than they need to, and they're doing it to gain an advantage. I think there were a few instances of that with Selby last night, and I don't think there were with Bingham. Identical ASTs don't come into the equation.

However, to be doubly fair, I think Selby's instances were fairly grouped together, and I don't think they continued beyond the warning. I think they had a minimal impact on the game.

Postby TheRocket

Selbys pace is ok when he is in the balls and scores.

But what he also does is taking 2-3 minute time for obvious shots even though you know right from the start which shot he's gonna play. And he often does that when opponents are on a roll and made big breaks for instance like Bingham in the first two frames of the third session. And he clearly does that to get under their skin.

Postby Iranu

motorhead wrote:Yes, you win it's all good. You lose you feel hard done by.

What I mean is, a match-long AST doesn’t distinguish between the shots that deserve a lot of thought and those that don’t.

Postby Iranu

Pink Ball wrote:However, to be doubly fair, I think Selby's instances were fairly grouped together, and I don't think they continued beyond the warning. I think they had a minimal impact on the game.

While I agree that the instances were grouped together I’m not sure I agree they had minimal impact on the game.

However, I do think that any prolonged impact has as much to do with Bingham as it does Selby. Bingham clearly lost his enjoyment and the occasional ridiculous shot time shouldn’t have done that.

Postby Prop

motorhead wrote:
Prop wrote:In Bingham’s defence, during that period of the match Selby was on 39 seconds and Bingo (undoubtedly dragged down to) 30.

He does have a bit of a point.

yea, of course that's what cost him the match. lmao.

When did I say that cost him the match?

Postby Sidetracked

Iranu wrote:
motorhead wrote:Yes, you win it's all good. You lose you feel hard done by.

What I mean is, a match-long AST doesn’t distinguish between the shots that deserve a lot of thought and those that don’t.

Yes, indeed, in the balls Selby was going a fair pace.

Postby Iranu

Vallomas wrote:I still remember my first days on Snooker Island, when some members said that Selby will never win the World Championship. And now he is close to his fourth.

You only joined a week before he won it!

Postby Vallomas

Iranu wrote:
Vallomas wrote:I still remember my first days on Snooker Island, when some members said that Selby will never win the World Championship. And now he is close to his fourth.

You only joined a week before he won it!

This makes it even more special. He was already in the semis and was looking strong.

The funny thing, though, is that I also had the same opinion (more wishful thinking) back then. :-D

Postby Andre147

People weren't wrong. His style of play could easily lend to burnout, that's why his chances of winning the Worlds were slim, but he obviously is a mental giant, like him or hate him.

And he's going for his 4th world title in 8 years, a level of dominance only seen by Hendry and Davis.

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:Just made reply to you, Andre. Don't know why you decided to delete your question and my reply to it?

I didn't. I edited it but instead of posting it erased it. :shrug:

What I asked was why do you think that? Forum has been more active than ever, I don't know where you coming from.

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:Just made reply to you, Andre. Don't know why you decided to delete your question and my reply to it?

What I asked was why do you think that? Forum has been more active than ever, I don't know where you coming from.

The forum being more active is a completely different thing and has no relevance to my point.

What I said in the deleted post was the following:

Baddy made a harmless joke earlier regarding Stuart Bingham. Fair game, as Pink Ball quite rightly put it. But you had to wade in and accuse him of something he didn't even say, it was a bit of stretch on your part. You even threatened him with a ban for it, which was ludicrously over the top IMO.

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

The forum being more active is a completely different thing and has no relevance to my point.

What I said in the deleted post was the following:

Baddy made a harmless joke earlier regarding Stuart Bingham. Fair game, as Pink Ball quite rightly put it. But you had to wade in and accuse him of something he didn't even say, it was a bit of stretch on your part. You even threatened him with a ban for it, which was ludicrously over the top IMO.

I get your point, but that's what it seemed to me, and those type of accusations can't have a place here. But fair game if he didn't mean anything bad by it, just a harmless joke.

Regarding Dan, he's pretty fair on most things, but as mods we can't allow stuff like racism, homphobia and the sort to have a place here.

And do you want to know something funny? Some of those jokes made by Johnny I didn't consider them to be overly offensive, but they would be suited to a dark humour Forum. This is a Snooker Forum, read by people all over the world (like me), and therefore as a moderator I can't allow what seem to be those type of jokes to have a place here. Sure, we can have banter and off topic snooker discussions, this happens everyday, but some things we cannot allow. But on a different environment, I wouldn't find those jokes offensive, that's my point.