Post a reply

Re: Betfred World Championship Final Mark Selby v Shaun Murp

Postby Jester82

Pink Ball wrote:On a personal level I'll have very bitter memories of this year's tournament as I lost someone very dear to me. Remains to be seen if any World Championship will be quite the same again for me. But being able to come on here and take the snake hiss out of all of you did help a little, so I thank you all for your unwilling company.

Did lose sb last year as well. The pain of memory will fade away at some point.

See you around.

Postby Sidetracked

Iranu wrote:Not in a million years can you fault Shaun for taking that final red on.

A tactical battle would only have gone one way anyway.

The fault was in second-guessing it.

Yeah, he didn't seem to fancy it so much when he actually got down to start lining it up. It was a real toughie I thought.

Postby Jester82

Andre147 wrote:ES made the right decision in not having Ronnie there, or maybe it was ROS himself who didnt want to.

Would feel very awkward having Ronnie there now.

Why would it be awkward? :chin:

Postby Andre147

Jester82 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:ES made the right decision in not having Ronnie there, or maybe it was ROS himself who didnt want to.

Where have you been last 8 months?

Postby Jester82

Andre147 wrote:
Jester82 wrote:

Where have you been last 8 months?

They can't be in a room together? :sad:

Postby Prop

awj8 wrote:
Iranu wrote:Not in a million years can you fault Shaun for taking that final red on.

A tactical battle would only have gone one way anyway.

The fault was in second-guessing it.

He had to go for it. The real question was position. I was surprised he didn't try to knock it off the cushion off the previous shot with the white. Still Selby turned down a pot leaving Murphy on and played a few questionable shots in the last few frames so Murphy is entitled to make a mistake I guess but a very costly one considering the moment in the match. He was just unlucky Selby punished him, but at this level you'd expect to be punished leaving it on like that. But it was still a tough clearance considering the pressure and Murphy's mini comeback.

By the way I found it interesting Murphy didn't go for the big fist pump at 17-15. I suspect he was worried it would get Selby focused and going so he decided against it. I thought that was interesting anyway. I feel like pumping up Selby is usually a mistake. Selby won anyway though of course.

He didn’t have the angle on the pink to move the red off the cushion.

Ideally he would have looked at shifting it sooner than he did. But hindsight is all well and good from our armchairs.

Murphy can hold his head up. Some of his long pots to get in were up with the best I’ve ever seen. And I’ve been watching snooker since the late 80s, so that’s saying something.

Postby Juddernaut88

I'm obviously gutted Shaun lost but Selby has been the best player in the tournament and deserves to be champion. That 2nd session ultimately cost Shaun this match. I know sometimes I can be a little biased with a lot of my posts but I'm not a sour loser and I do give credit where due.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andre147 wrote:So, is Selby better than MJW now, what do you think?

Yes he is. He's not ahead of Higgins but I can see him surpass him now. His consistency and will to win here at the Crucible is second to none.

I think so too.

Postby TheRocket

you have to say yes. If MJW had won like 30 ranking titles maybe MJW would still be above him but he hasnt. Selby won one more World title. And one more Masters as well and will probably end up winning more rankers than him.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

TheRocket wrote:

you have to say yes. If MJW had won like 30 ranking titles maybe MJW would still be above him but he hasnt. Selby won one more World title. And one more Masters as well and will probably end up winning more rankers than him.

The one thing that MJW has going for him was his dominance with the UK, Masters and World hattrick in one season. Can't see that happen anytime soon again.

Postby Andre147

I know Bingham got closer within two frames, but who do you think had a better chance of beating Selby this year?

Bingham or Murphy? I will say Bingham, Selby played worse in that match overall.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

The one thing that MJW has going for him was his dominance with the UK, Masters and World hattrick in one season. Can't see that happen anytime soon again.

Yes, I can only see Trump doing it, but he'd really have to start performing at the TC events.

Postby Iranu

Andre147 wrote:I know Bingham got closer within two frames, but who do you think had a better chance of beating Selby this year?

Bingham or Murphy? I will say Bingham, Selby played worse in that match overall.

Honestly, both of them had great chances. I feel like Murphy fluffed more frames from good positions. Selby didn’t “Selby” him like he did Bingham.

Postby Iranu

MJW also competed in a stronger era, of course.

But an extra world title isn’t like a few rankers.

FWIW I think this year’s final would’ve gone the same way if it was Murphy vs MJW.

Postby Dan-cat

Sidetracked wrote:
Scooper wrote:That “sacked tmrw” got a bit of laugh from me

Hazel -
'...I just wonder what kind of help and aid that has Chris Henry has been for you in the last few months?'
Shaun -
'I mean none today.'
I thought he nailed that line! Good interview.

Brilliant delivery.