Post a reply

Re: BetVictor German Masters Qualifying !!!!

Postby Holden Chinaski

Wildey wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Raziel wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Mike, Raziel, great stories. Love 'em :-)

Tell us about Willie!

Out of all the hundreds (maybe thousands) of people I met in snooker over the years, I only took a real dislike to two people. One was Ronnie O'Sullivan (succinctly described by DRAGONFLY earlier in this thread as a 'tit'.) If you want to know what Ronnie is like as a person, ask someone like John Higgins, Mark Selby or Mark Williams.

I've only heard John Higgins say good things about Ronnie. And MJW tweets about how Ronnie is the best and the one who puts bums in seats all the time

Don't know about John, but Mark Williams has great respect and admiration for Ronnie the player, but he thinks ronnie the person is a bit of a tit.

People said the same about Davis and Hendry in their time.

Postby RunningSide

Regarding Ronnie attitude in match,had a message from a mate saying he watched first frame for 5 minutes and bet £50 on vafaei to win,not admitted how much but surely questions need to be asked.Bet Stephen Lee watching might be thinking hard done by.

Postby Raziel

RunningSide wrote:Regarding Ronnie attitude in match,had a message from a mate saying he watched first frame for 5 minutes and bet £50 on vafaei to win,not admitted how much but surely questions need to be asked.Bet Stephen Lee watching might be thinking hard done by.

Yes. I think that's a very good point. If Ronnie smashes up the pack from the break and has an AST of 14 or 15 seconds, the bookmakers may find reasons to invalidate bets, and not pay out. If Ronnie does that kind of thing, it doesn't look like he's trying to win, does it?

I don't know what the betting rules actually are. But it wouldn't surprise me if Ronnie is 'sailing close to the wind', as they say.

EDIT:

Lets put a lid on my previous Ronnie etc postings.

In summation:

Ronnie is a genius snooker player. But, character wise, he is a 'tit'.

Willie Thorne was a 'tit' in real life. But now he is gone, all is forgiven. I will miss Willie prattling on about the one tournament he actually won, and the blue he missed against Steve Davis. It always tickled me. RIP Willie.

But the biggest 'tit' of all was the person RUNNINGSIDE mentioned in his last post - Stephen Lee. I never personally fell out with him, but the antics he got up to and the people he ripped off during his time at the South West Snooker Academy are legendary. I don't know what he's doing now. I think I heard he was coaching in Hong Kong or something. I hope he doesn't rip anyone off over there. I think the triads may sentence him more severely than Gloucester Magistrates Court. LOL. :-D

Postby TheRocket

Everyone has flaws, Ronnie probably more than others.

But I doubt that other Greats like Hendry, Higgins or Selby (who all have been mentioned) are much better, let alone some sort of impeccable sportsmen or people who are the opposite to Ronnie. They are not. There are still many question marks with Higgins and the past, no need to go into detail, everyone knows what I'm talking about. As for Selby he is only the good guy when he wins and things going his way. Hendry cheated on his wife.

I only appreciate Ronnie as a Snookerplayer. I dont know him as a person and only base my views on what I see in interviews. But I'm pretty sure , he can be a big tit like many wealthy and successful people are to some degree.

Postby RunningSide

Big tit and Ronnie fan here,not downplaying Lee ban or conduct but feel like Ronnie is allowed to get away with things most players would consider a breech of rules .

Postby Iranu

RunningSide wrote:Big tit and Ronnie fan here,not downplaying Lee ban or conduct but feel like Ronnie is allowed to get away with things most players would consider a breech of rules .

I definitely think this is true. In terms of the break-off specifically that’s something players do now and then and I’ve not seen anything about them being punished for it (Maguire did it last season in one of the HNs and I know Robbo’s done it a couple of times too). Him chatting with someone is the bigger issue although you could argue that’s harming himself more than Vafaei.

I don’t think the Lee thing should really enter the conversation. You’re allowed to play the game how you like and there’s no suggestion Ronnie’s conspired to fix anything.

Postby RunningSide

SnookerFan wrote:Remember that time all the pundits were acting like Mark Williams' break off shot was controversial?

Chances of losing frame off Willo style break almost zero, ronnie's smash 50/50.

Postby Raziel

Iranu wrote:
RunningSide wrote:Big tit and Ronnie fan here,not downplaying Lee ban or conduct but feel like Ronnie is allowed to get away with things most players would consider a breech of rules .

I definitely think this is true. In terms of the break-off specifically that’s something players do now and then and I’ve not seen anything about them being punished for it (Maguire did it last season in one of the HNs and I know Robbo’s done it a couple of times too). Him chatting with someone is the bigger issue although you could argue that’s harming himself more than Vafaei.

I don’t think the Lee thing should really enter the conversation. You’re allowed to play the game how you like and there’s no suggestion Ronnie’s conspired to fix anything.

This could be quite an interesting topic. Are you actually allowed to play the game how you like? I honestly don't know. Are there any guidelines covering this?

Are you allowed to deliberately roll the balls over the pockets for your opponent to pot in order to deliberately lose a frame? Could that be construed as match fixing? This is obviously different to smashing the pack from the break, as you are then trying to fluke one, not deliberately leave the opponent on.

If you wanted to go home early for some reason, could you deliberately lose 5-0 as long as you didn't tell anyone you were going to do it - and nobody (including you) placed any bets based on that knowledge? Would there be any repercussions for this kind of behaviour?

I don't know. I hope somebody can tell me. :-)

Postby RunningSide

You have explained the point I was trying to make much better than my attempt. Admittedly no point bringing Lee into conversation, just a knee jerk reaction from me.

Postby Iranu

Raziel wrote:This could be quite an interesting topic. Are you actually allowed to play the game how you like? I honestly don't know. Are there any guidelines covering this?

Are you allowed to deliberately roll the balls over the pockets for your opponent to pot in order to deliberately lose a frame? Could that be construed as match fixing? This is obviously different to smashing the pack from the break, as you are then trying to fluke one, not deliberately leave the opponent on.

If you wanted to go home early for some reason, could you deliberately lose 5-0 as long as you didn't tell anyone you were going to do it - and nobody (including you) placed any bets based on that knowledge? Would there be any repercussions for this kind of behaviour?

Yeah fair point, I was being a bit flippant saying “however you like”. I more sort of meant in terms of how aggressively or defensively you play, I guess.

I do think players “deliberately lose” relatively often in terms of no longer trying so much when they’re several frames behind (which isn’t a criticism, they’re only human). Just in less of a showy way than Monday evening.

Postby Raziel

Iranu wrote:
Raziel wrote:This could be quite an interesting topic. Are you actually allowed to play the game how you like? I honestly don't know. Are there any guidelines covering this?

Yeah fair point, I was being a bit flippant saying “however you like”. I more sort of meant in terms of how aggressively or defensively you play, I guess.

I do think players “deliberately lose” relatively often in terms of no longer trying so much when they’re several frames behind (which isn’t a criticism, they’re only human). Just in less of a showy way than Monday evening.

I agree. <ok>