Post a reply

Re: Champion of Champions line up.

Postby SnookerFan

HappyCamper wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Andre147 wrote:It didn't change. It was always like this. Imagine someone would win most of the events, what criteria would they then use?

Like I said, it's always been like this, not just because Ronnie, or Ding for instance didn't win a tournament.

Is there any reason that they didn't use the Seniors World Champion this year?

Don't they usually find some competition winner, no mater how Noddy the tournament, just so they can say that they're all champions? They definitely usually have certain tournaments on reserve in case the more major tournaments are won by the same person.

Is it true that the women's tour has been down due to Covid this year? That would explain why there's no World Women's Champion there.

World seniors champ has qualified this year. It's David Lilley.

There was no women's world championship.

The last few spots are usually taken up by rankings top-ups if there just aren't enough distinct event winners.

So they did.

Apologies, I hadn't noticed him in the line-up.

I still prefer somebody who win the CoC, who is an actual champion or it seems a bit pointless.

Was Mark Allen a champion last year, or did he get in through rank?

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
Andre147 wrote:It didn't change. It was always like this. Imagine someone would win most of the events, what criteria would they then use?

Like I said, it's always been like this, not just because Ronnie, or Ding for instance didn't win a tournament.

Is there any reason that they didn't use the Seniors World Champion this year?

Don't they usually find some competition winner, no mater how Noddy the tournament, just so they can say that they're all champions? They definitely usually have certain tournaments on reserve in case the more major tournaments are won by the same person.

Is it true that the women's tour has been down due to Covid this year? That would explain why there's no World Women's Champion there.

?

Where have you got that from?

They’ve always included players on rankings if there aren’t ‘enough’ tournament winners. It’s been a bone of contention on this forum pretty much every year!

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerFan wrote:Was Mark Allen a champion last year, or did he get in through rank?

He was a ranking top up in 2020.

Postby Juddernaut88

I think in 2019 Barry Hawkins won the Paul Hunter classic but the seniors championship and womans championship were put ahead of that so he didn't get to play in the champions of champions that year.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:?

Where have you got that from?

They’ve always included players on rankings if there aren’t ‘enough’ tournament winners. It’s been a bone of contention on this forum pretty much every year!

Probably just remembering that time that Ash kicked off because Reanne Evans was there, and pretending it was for reasons other than his own sexism. He had a weeks long whine-fest that he wanted it to go back to being rankings based again.

I must've misrembered and thought that they didn't do that any more. I know they used to, I thought they'd changed it.

Now I think about it, I remember Mark Allen having not won anything last year, pre-CoC.

Sorry for my confusion.
Last edited by SnookerFan on 08 Nov 2021, edited 2 times in total.

Postby SnookerFan

HappyCamper wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Was Mark Allen a champion last year, or did he get in through rank?

He was a ranking top up in 2020.

I thought so.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:same old match ups for Ronnie. vs Bingham/Ding/Higgins.

I bet it will be ROS vs Higgins in the last 8 for the 4th time.

Plus Ronnie has also played Bingham quite a few times at the CoC... this will be their 3rd or 4th meeting in that tournament alone.

Postby Reg Varney

A great draw for the Duke.

Outside of possibly Brown for Day, I don't think he could have handpicked a better group that that.

Postby TheRocket

Andre147 wrote:

Plus Ronnie has also played Bingham quite a few times at the CoC... this will be their 3rd or 4th meeting in that tournament alone.

I just looked at the stats. He played Bingham three times, Ding twice, Higgins four times.
Combined 8:1 H2H against them but I still wanted to see different match ups.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

I just looked at the stats. He played Bingham three times, Ding twice, Higgins four times.
Combined 8:1 H2H against them but I still wanted to see different match ups.

If you gave me the choice, I would like him to have played Jordan Brown and then either Robbo or MJW.

Like you say, he's played those 3 players loads of times there before.

Postby SnookerFan

Reg Varney wrote:A great draw for the Duke.

Outside of possibly Brown for Day, I don't think he could have handpicked a better group that that.

He's just gonna get stomped by Judd, then go home.

Postby Juddernaut88

Decent draw for Judd on paper but the fact he's lost to Slessor and King this season prove there's no such thing as an easy match. I'll just be taking it one game at a time and hoping he can do well.

Postby Reg Varney

Juddernaut88 wrote:Decent draw for Judd on paper but the fact he's lost to Slessor and King this season prove there's no such thing as an easy match. I'll just be taking it one game at a time and hoping he can do well.

Not even you can be worried for that first game against David Lilley Judders surely?

Postby HappyCamper

Iranu wrote:Image

i feel they could have put a bit more effort into the 'ball-run' graphic for bingham there.

Postby Juddernaut88

Reg Varney wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:Decent draw for Judd on paper but the fact he's lost to Slessor and King this season prove there's no such thing as an easy match. I'll just be taking it one game at a time and hoping he can do well.

Not even you can be worried for that first game against David Lilley Judders surely?

Considering Judd hasn't won a match in these Cazoo tournaments ever since Cazoo has started sponsoring these ITV events Judd beating Lilley is no guarantee and I wouldn't at all be surprised if Lilley causes an upset.

Postby Iranu

Juddernaut88 wrote:Considering Judd hasn't won a match in these Cazoo tournaments ever since Cazoo has started sponsoring these ITV events

What, all two of them?

Postby HappyCamper

the players will apparently be wearing shirts with their nick name logos on the back.

i'm sure that won't look utterly naff.

Postby SnookerEd25

HappyCamper wrote:the players will apparently be wearing shirts with their nick name logos on the back.

Why stop there? Put a Jester’s hat on Selby, complete with bells. Even I’d watache him then.

Postby SnookerFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:
Reg Varney wrote:

Considering Judd hasn't won a match in these Cazoo tournaments ever since Cazoo has started sponsoring these ITV events Judd beating Lilley is no guarantee and I wouldn't at all be surprised if Lilley causes an upset.

They've only sponsored it for about five minutes, haven't they?

How many tournaments is it they've sponsored now? Two? Three?

Postby Iranu

HappyCamper wrote:the players will apparently be wearing shirts with their nick name logos on the back.

Please be joking.

Leave that rubbish to bucking Darts.

Postby Wildey

Iranu wrote:

Please be joking.

buck me thats as naff as it gets

Postby SnookerFan

Really? rofl rofl

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerFan wrote:

Really? rofl rofl

hendon mentioned it on the snooker scene podcast preview.

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:
Reg Varney wrote:

It's been two so far and this will be the 3rd.

Postby SnookerFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:
Reg Varney wrote:

It's been two so far and this will be the 3rd.

I hope Judd doesn't have too many battle scars. :gag:

Postby Prop

Wildey wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Please be joking.

buck me thats as naff as it gets

This is what happens when crusty decision-makers convince themselves Judd’s ideas are the way forward.

It’ll be Gucci manbags next.