Post a reply

Re: Cazoo UK Championship Last 16 !!!!!

Postby Yanfan

Prop wrote:
Yanfan wrote:
Prop wrote:
Yanfan wrote:Humongous kick for Noppon. It could easily have been 2-0 if that hadn't happened.

You sure about that?

Actually, no. Not 100%. But he missed it by miles, didn't he? And it wasn't too difficult a shot. Kicks are funny things, though, aren't they? Sometimes they're obvious, and sometimes they are not. :-)

Yep. And for me commentators tend to call kick way too often. Like when they say “it straightened up”. I mean, how can they see whether a shot straightened up, unless they were directly in line with the shot and close up? :chin:

Sometimes (and probably more often than some commentators would have us believe) a player just misses a pot.

You’ll also get players asking the ref to clean the white after simply playing a crap shot <laugh>

Fair comment. I cannot disagree with anything you said there. <ok>

Postby Prop

Ronnie’s got some work to do. I thought he’d settle after that second frame but he made some odd decisions there.

Postby McManusFan

HappyCamper wrote:
McManusFan wrote:Anyone watching the Lines vs Zhao match?

c'est moi.

Any good? I've been looking at the live scores and it looks a wee bit scrappy.

Postby HappyCamper

McManusFan wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:

c'est moi.

scrappy is the right word. zhao looks like he'll have a bit too much for lines over the match. but we'll see.

Postby badtemperedcyril

Yanfan wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:
Yanfan wrote:My fellow Westcountry bumpkin Andy Hicks (Ranked 81) is in the last 16 of the UK for the first time in about a hundred years. He plays Dave Gilbert tomorrow. Come on, Andy! (The Cream of Devon). :-D

Also Ronnie, Jack, Zhao, Luca and Hossein are all still in. Plenty of good viewing still left in this tournament. :-)

The Pride of Tavistock! (MC Alan Hughes)

1995 weren’t it when he reached the World and UK semi-final and then the Masters in the January 96?

Yes, it was. (I've just looked it up.) :-)

I didn't watch it live, though. I wasn't born until 2005. <laugh>

I remember it well. I was about 15 when Hicks first appeared on the scene. I used to record hours of snooker on VHS! He was a virtual unknown when he beat Steve Davis on his Crucible debut and went all the way to the last four. He beat Willie Thorne in the next round - seem to remember it being close but Willie then got in a strop over something and Andy won easy. In the press conference afterwards, Andy said: “Willie would be a better player if he didn’t huff and puff so much around the table”… remarks that cheesed Willie off even more!! Then he easily beat Ebdon in the quarters, who was strongly fancied to come through that half of the draw. His adventure came to an end in the semi against Nigel Bond. Andy no doubt fancied his chances going into the match but Nigel was playing to a very high standard back then and was deceptively tough to beat.

Postby chengdufan

HappyCamper wrote:
McManusFan wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:

c'est moi.

scrappy is the right word. zhao looks like he'll have a bit too much for lines over the match. but we'll see.

Yes, Zhao hasn't settled yet, but even so, still looks to have too much for Lines. If he keeps playing like this, it could be a 6-4 win, but I expect him to improve and win 6-2.

Postby Yanfan

mantorok wrote:
Yanfan wrote:
Prop wrote:
Yanfan wrote:Humongous kick for Noppon. It could easily have been 2-0 if that hadn't happened.

You sure about that?

Actually, no. Not 100%. But he missed it by miles, didn't he? And it wasn't too difficult a shot. Kicks are funny things, though, aren't they? Sometimes they're obvious, and sometimes they are not. :-)

Hard day at school today? <laugh>

I am one of those weird home-schooled creatures. I only have to actually attend school to sit my A-Level exams. It's a strange combination of my parents and online learning. However, sometimes, the online course still sets me 'homework' assignments. <laugh>

Postby Andre147

Ronnie scoring well when he gets the chances which is the best sign he can give us.

Hope he pushes on from here, but Noppon is confident too.

Postby Yanfan

badtemperedcyril wrote:
Yanfan wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:
Yanfan wrote:My fellow Westcountry bumpkin Andy Hicks (Ranked 81) is in the last 16 of the UK for the first time in about a hundred years. He plays Dave Gilbert tomorrow. Come on, Andy! (The Cream of Devon). :-D

Also Ronnie, Jack, Zhao, Luca and Hossein are all still in. Plenty of good viewing still left in this tournament. :-)

The Pride of Tavistock! (MC Alan Hughes)

1995 weren’t it when he reached the World and UK semi-final and then the Masters in the January 96?

Yes, it was. (I've just looked it up.) :-)

I didn't watch it live, though. I wasn't born until 2005. <laugh>

I remember it well. I was about 15 when Hicks first appeared on the scene. I used to record hours of snooker on VHS! He was a virtual unknown when he beat Steve Davis on his Crucible debut and went all the way to the last four. He beat Willie Thorne in the next round - seem to remember it being close but Willie then got in a strop over something and Andy won easy. In the press conference afterwards, Andy said: “Willie would be a better player if he didn’t huff and puff so much around the table”… remarks that cheesed Willie off even more!! Then he easily beat Ebdon in the quarters, who was strongly fancied to come through that half of the draw. His adventure came to an end in the semi against Nigel Bond. Andy no doubt fancied his chances going into the match but Nigel was playing to a very high standard back then and was deceptively tough to beat.

Nice. I bet it was great watching live snooker when Steve Davis and Hendry were at their peak. :-)

Postby Prop

Andre147 wrote:Ronnie scoring well when he gets the chances which is the best sign he can give us.

Ronnie doesn’t look all too comfortable during safety exchanges. Maybe it’s a result of playing a lot of the season ‘as exhibitions’ like he said recently.

I don’t think he’ll ever really struggle putting breaks together. He does that on autopilot. It’s when he has to apply tactics, he just seems a bit uneasy with it.

Postby Andre147

Prop wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Ronnie scoring well when he gets the chances which is the best sign he can give us.

Ronnie doesn’t look all too comfortable during safety exchanges. Maybe it’s a result of playing a lot of the season ‘as exhibitions’ like he said recently.

I don’t think he’ll ever really struggle putting breaks together. He does that on autopilot. It’s when he has to apply tactics, he just seems a bit uneasy with it.

True, and to beat the top players he needs those tactics well and sharp.

Postby SnookerFan

The_Abbott wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Does the UK Championship two table set up always look like that?

No they usually put one table on top of the other but this was too problematic for the short players.

:bird: