Post a reply

BetVictor Shoot Out !!!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Thursday 20th ~ Sunday 23rd of January at The Morningside Arena, Leicester

So its edition no 12 won by 12 different winners.

Last season Mark Selby came close to winning both the Shortest format and the longest format but it was Ryan Day who beat him at the Marshal Arena. This year the Lunatics are back in the Building at the Morningside Arena in Leicester after a year Shouting at their TV or Computers.

With 11 top 16 players and only just under 2 hours to win the event Mark Selby heads the field, who will come out on Top?

DRAW

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: BetVictor Shoot Out !!!

Postby SnookerEd25

Didn’t realise it was this early in the calendar; at least we get this nonsense out the way early :hmmm:

Postby LDS

I quite like a bit of Pot Black.

Still shouldn't be a ranking event, or at least should only be 50% points.

But I do find it entertaining and very much enjoy watching the nobodies getting 15 minutes of fame.

Postby Andre147

Some of the lunatics Wild mentions were actually at the Ally Pally lol

Postby James Bentley

I know it's not a popular opinion but I love the Shoot Out. Sure, it would be a complete travesty if all the events were like it, but as a one-off it's a lot of fun.

It's interesting to see how different players approach the format, too. Some seem to think that they should play their normal game, but race around the table between shots, whereas the canny players realise that you don't need to rush if you can keep the cue ball under tight control. Waiting for the cue ball to stop is what eats up all your time. I'm sure this is obvious to most of you but it's amazing how many players don't seem to have caught on, and run around the table like they're playing snooker in a Benny Hill sketch.

Postby The_Abbott

I never want anyone 'serious' to win. If you play with a smile and a laugh you get my vote.

Postby gninnur karona

Two talking points before the balls roll on the first lag.

Anthony McGill electing not to enter, given his precarious position inside the one-year top 16. A gamble that doesn't look any better after noting that he hasn't an easy starter in Berlin. No guarantees in Leicester but may come to regret his absence.

Rebecca Kenna awarded a wild card entry. If WST/WPBSA wished to reserve one specific wild card for a woman then Nutcharut Wongharuthai, who beat Kenna at the semi-final stage before winning the recent British Open women's event appears to have a better claim. Then again why not have awarded two?

Incidentally, would there be any merit in the lag being introduced into all ranking events?

Postby mantorok

It's one of those tournaments that sometimes gets put on because it "turns my screen green".

Postby SnookerFan

mantorok wrote:It's one of those tournaments that sometimes gets put on because it "turns my screen green".

Oh shut up, Mantorock.

Postby mick745

Not sure what advantage a lag would be in a longer match when players break off in alternate frames, any advantage or disadvantage would be negated.

You could argue that it would then be skill determines rather than coin toss luck but there is not really any advantage gained in a long match.

Or do you mean lag in every frame?

Postby mantorok

SnookerFan wrote:
mantorok wrote:It's one of those tournaments that sometimes gets put on because it "turns my screen green".

Oh shut up, Mantorock.

I'll be Mantorocking your mum if you don't shut up.

Postby SnookerFan

mantorok wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Oh shut up, Mantorock.

I'll be Mantorocking your mum if you don't shut up.

Postby HappyCamper

mick745 wrote:Not sure what advantage a lag would be in a longer match when players break off in alternate frames, any advantage or disadvantage would be negated.

You could argue that it would then be skill determines rather than coin toss luck but there is not really any advantage gained in a long match.

Lag every frame would be tedious.

Postby Prop

HappyCamper wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:Is ROS gonna play in this ?

No.

Johnny reaches for the hacksaw…

Postby SnookerEd25

HappyCamper wrote:
mick745 wrote:Not sure what advantage a lag would be in a longer match when players break off in alternate frames, any advantage or disadvantage would be negated.

Lag every frame would be tedious.

I agree. Pointless in a longer match.

Postby gninnur karona

No just to replace the coin toss.

Unless I'm mistaken they throw for the bull in darts to decide who has choice. Although in darts there is a clear advantage in throwing first in the World Championship, for example, as that ensures throwing first in any sudden-death final leg.

Postby Yanfan

SnookerFan wrote:Shouldn't be a ranking event.

I agree that it shouldn't be a ranking event.

But it's good fun and I enjoy watching it. :-D

Postby Yanfan

The Shootout is on Eurosport this year.

As I found out after scrolling through the Sky menu looking for it on ITV4. <laugh>

Postby Iranu

Yanfan wrote:The Shootout is on Eurosport this year.

As I found out after scrolling through the Sky menu looking for it on ITV4. <laugh>

This is its fourth year on Eurosport!