Post a reply

Re: Cazoo Tour Championship O'Sullivan v Robertson !!

Postby Holden Chinaski

Sidetracked wrote:Another cracking match. Robbo so strong. There are positives for Ronnie to take out of it though.

Of course there are positives for Ronnie. He went for one difficult black which didnt drop. Had it dropped he would have won the match.

Postby Prop

I was thinking about something last night. When Ronnie turned 40, people were making a big deal about him still playing to such a high standard at that ripe old age.

But Robbo’s 40 now, and look at the stuff he’s playing. I guess Ron was one of the first that proved it wasn’t necessarily all over at that age. And Robbo’s form this season just emphasises that.

Anyway, it’s great for the game. Robbo is in good physical shape, he looks after himself. I like the thought of having him around for a good few more years.

Another excellent match yesterday, played the right way by both players. You could see the respect between them after Robbo wrapped it up. That’s the kind of match that brings out the best in the absolute biggest hitters in the game.

Personally a bit disappointed Ronnie couldn’t quite finish the job, but honestly you can’t complain when he was beaten by that kind of snooker. The margins at the top are tiny. A couple of percent here or there. One mistake and it’s frame over. It was a lot like watching Hendry back in the day, but both players at that level.

As for Robbo and the Worlds, well flip a coin. It’s a unique competition and for whatever reason this hoodoo has grown and grown in his head. I’m inclined to agree with Pink, but don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see him put it to bed and actually get more than one on his CV before he’s done. He’s having a great season. If he does ever win another, this season is as likely a time as any. But like has been mentioned, often the Worlds sees a player that’s had a crap season storm to the one table setup. And yes, Selby is always going to be a not-so-dark horse.

Anyway, congratulations to CK for sitting on his sofa and effectively blocking my cosmic efforts. He might need it again in a few weeks.

Postby Yanfan

Prop wrote:I was thinking about something last night. When Ronnie turned 40, people were making a big deal about him still playing to such a high standard at that ripe old age.

But Robbo’s 40 now, and look at the stuff he’s playing. I guess Ron was one of the first that proved it wasn’t necessarily all over at that age. And Robbo’s form this season just emphasises that.

Anyway, it’s great for the game. Robbo is in good physical shape, he looks after himself. I like the thought of having him around for a good few more years.

Another excellent match yesterday, played the right way by both players. You could see the respect between them after Robbo wrapped it up. That’s the kind of match that brings out the best in the absolute biggest hitters in the game.

Personally a bit disappointed Ronnie couldn’t quite finish the job, but honestly you can’t complain when he was beaten by that kind of snooker. The margins at the top are tiny. A couple of percent here or there. One mistake and it’s frame over. It was a lot like watching Hendry back in the day, but both players at that level.

As for Robbo and the Worlds, well flip a coin. It’s a unique competition and for whatever reason this hoodoo has grown and grown in his head. I’m inclined to agree with Pink, but don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see him put it to bed and actually get more than one on his CV before he’s done. He’s having a great season. If he does ever win another, this season is as likely a time as any. But like has been mentioned, often the Worlds sees a player that’s had a crap season storm to the one table setup. And yes, Selby is always going to be a not-so-dark horse.

Anyway, congratulations to CK for sitting on his sofa and effectively blocking my cosmic efforts. He might need it again in a few weeks.

:goodpost:

Very similar to my own thoughts. <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

People just like to make a big deal because it's Ronnie, I guess.

But you're right. I forget that Robertson is 40. That's partly down to the way he plays, and consistently.

It maybe doesn't get made such a big deal of though, because he's still a few years younger than the Class Of 92.

Postby TheRocket

Ronnie vs Robbo has become the biggest match up these last few years it has to be said. Since 2019 or so no other pair has met this often in big matches. Lot of finals and multi session matches.

Ronnie vs Robbo is a more prolific rivalry (more matches) now than Ronnie vs Selby/Trump and Robbo vs Selby/Trump.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:People just like to make a big deal because it's Ronnie, I guess.

But you're right. I forget that Robertson is 40. That's partly down to the way he plays, and consistently.

It maybe doesn't get made such a big deal of though, because he's still a few years younger than the Class Of 92.

It’s not just because it’s Ronnie. Higgins at least got similar comments. Davis was seen as over the hill when he won the 1997 Masters at 39. Hendry was 30 when he won his last World Championship and 36 when he was his last ranking title.

At the time, snooker was seen to be like most sports, with players declining once they hit their 30s.

Personally I think it was the new generation improving the level of the game beyond Davis’ and then Hendry’s. If you look at the 80s it seems players were equally likely to do well in their late 30s and 40s as they are now (although maybe not quite as well).

That’s probably because the overall standard has stagnated, maybe even declined, over the last 10 years. There’s been no swathe of young players taking the game to new standards like there was in the late 90s.

That’s why we’re seeing the likes of Bingham, Perry, Hawkins etc having their best seasons into their mid-30s and beyond.

That and also the fuller season probably allows players to maintain their competitive edge.

Postby mick745

The frustrating thing for Robertson though is he has a very poor World Championship and Triple Crown record which will count against him in the best players of all time debates.

Although at the moment he is clearly the greatest overseas player there has been.

Robertson is very unlikely to equal Selby's world championship record or even Shaun Murphy's. I always put the three of them together as the same generation born in 1982/3. And kind of similar to the triple co92 clan.

There shouldnt be any real reason why an older player shouldnt be able to play the game as well as somebody younger - in fact experience counts for a lot in snooker.

Postby TheRocket

Robertsons TC record isnt bad. Hes won 3 UK's and 2 Masters which is equal to Selbys 2 UK's and 3 Masters. Or Higgins 3 UK's and 2 Masters. Its solely the one World title that stands out badly and speaks against him big time.

But if he was to win a 2nd World title I think quite a few people would consider him an ATG, given his overall success in the other tournaments.

Postby hendry_fan

Prop wrote:I was thinking about something last night. When Ronnie turned 40, people were making a big deal about him still playing to such a high standard at that ripe old age.

Good day Lord Prop!.I have,nt read the Pivate Messages you sent me yet,been very busy lately,but i will next week.

GETTTTTTTTTTTTTT THE BUCKLE IN THERE!!!!. :hyper:

My comment,Robbo sendin The Ronster back to his,....................... worked!. :hyper:

Hard luck Ron,you played very well,but it,s time for you to go back to your SAD,DULL LIFE IN WET,SOGGY,FOGGY,WINDY ENGLAND!. ;-) :happy: :-D

Jeez!,i forgot that Robbos 40!. :dizzy:

"But Robbo’s 40 now, and look at the stuff he’s playing. I guess Ron was one of the first that proved it wasn’t necessarily all over at that age. And Robbo’s form this season just emphasises that".

To that point you make,i actualy think that it was Bingham that started the age,not bein too old thing!.He proved that bein 35+ doesn,t mean to say in the slightest,that one has to,or that one will decline and not be able to produce high standard snooker anymore,once you,ve hit the 35 mark.

Before he won the Worlds,there was a lot of talk about how most,in fact how almost everyone declines when they hit about 35,most had it in there heads that it was normal,so to speak,you autimatcly decline,that you can,t produce top snooker anymore when you hit a certain age.

When Bingo won the Worlds in 2015,ok,he was,nt 40+,but he was over 35 and suddenly many were saying,that this age thing is rubbish,that its in the head so to speak,more n more players started to think,hmm,Bingo,s proved that it aint over once you,ve hit the 35 years of age mark so to speak,so thanks to Bingo,and to probably a few other players,he/they were the ones who showed that one can still full well be able to produce decent,good,very good,even brilliant snooker when you reach the age of 35+.

Anyway,gotta go,GREAT AULD JOHN HAGGIS is playin soon,i just thought i,d chuck that in bout Bingo as well as a bit of other info.

Oh!,n Very well done Robbo btw!. :happy: :cracker: <ok> :-D

Postby RunningSide

I think Robbo seen the light this year,possibly hoped-for class of 92 to fade away leaving himself, Trump, Selby ect to contend big three events,.He's uped his play 30%,safety especially, I honestly think whoever beats him win any tournament.

Postby mick745

Rightly or wrongly world titles/world championship record is usually how greatness in snooker is measured.

Robertson getting to only one final, albeit winning it (the same record as Bingham) he does need to reach the final a few more times at least, Higgins with the same number of TC titles has 8 world finals, even Murphy has four finals to his name.

Postby TheRocket

Yes World titles is always the first record you look at. Its the foundation for everything else. Trump and Robertson lack big time in that department. While Selby can be proud of what hes achieved.

Whether Ron becomes the indisputable GOAT or Trump and Robertson become All Time Greats will solely be decided on the number of World titles. World title = legacy tournament