Post a reply

Re: The Snooker Seniors

Postby Wildey

HappyCamper wrote:
gninnur karona wrote:
Wildey wrote:Every one of the players left played on the Main Tour during the Season

Here's how much they earned

David Lilley £46,500
Michael Holt £31,000
Rory McLeod £27,000
Peter Lines £24,500
Ken Doherty £17,000
Lee Walker £17,000
Nigel Bond £8,000
Jimmy White £6,000

£12500 of David Lilley's earnings were the reward for an opening round defeat in the Champion of Champions.

Is the winner of the World Seniors this year guaranteed a place in the 2022-23 Champion of Champions
or will they be awaiting the results of the early season ranking events hoping for wins from the already qualified?

by my count there are ten world tour qualifiers so far
trump, zhao xintong, brecel, o'sullivan, robertson, vafaei, higgins, fan zhengyi, perry, & milkins.
with five, potentially six, more events to occur before the next edition.

so not guaranteed, but likely.

My Guess that Mink winning the World Ladies is also in the Mix

Postby LDS

Saw the last couple of frames of the McLeod v Johnson match, it was quite a fun watch. Joe got a big break to go 1-2 down and had chances in the last frame but McLeod held his nerve for a famous win.

Postby LDS

They really do need to sort out exactly how the seniors functions.

I was really surprised to see Holt playing this year and he looked like a total whippersnapper against Knowles. And I thought people like Walker were already a bit of a stretch.

They should just set the age at [insert age] and then people can compete in it from that point regardless of their standings in the main tour. If that means O'Sullivan can win both at [insert age], then so be it. That'd be fun anyway.

Postby Iranu

LDS wrote:They really do need to sort out exactly how the seniors functions.

I was really surprised to see Holt playing this year and he looked like a total whippersnapper against Knowles. And I thought people like Walker were already a bit of a stretch.

They should just set the age at [insert age] and then people can compete in it from that point regardless of their standings in the main tour. If that means O'Sullivan can win both at [insert age], then so be it. That'd be fun anyway.

It needs to be at least 50+ really.

But as more and more of the old big names retire, you wonder how much of a market the Seniors is going to have in future anyway. They seem to be feeding off the nostalgia factor but the likes of Lines and McLeod aren’t going to generate that.

Postby chengdufan

From what I've seen, the standard has improved this year. Or maybe I was unlucky with the bits I watched in the past. Previous editions proved very tough to watch to me.

Postby LDS

Iranu wrote:
LDS wrote:They really do need to sort out exactly how the seniors functions.

It needs to be at least 50+ really.

But as more and more of the old big names retire, you wonder how much of a market the Seniors is going to have in future anyway. They seem to be feeding off the nostalgia factor but the likes of Lines and McLeod aren’t going to generate that.

Yes, I think somewhere around 50 should be where the discussion starts.

I should think there'd always be enough big names to raise a bit of interest, but I know what you mean about players who never generated much following even at their peak, if it was only those kind of guys, then, yes, probably not much of a watch.

It's more than just nostalgia though, IMO. A bit like under 18s is it's own category but with leeway for some to play on the main tour, the oldies category has a place. When you've followed a player for a decade or two the seniors can act as a sort of bonus content to that fandom.

Postby badtemperedcyril

chengdufan wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:
chengdufan wrote:Now it's got me thinking. I was under the impression every 5-6 weeks was the standard :chin:

Not had mine cut since pre-covid

What are we looking at :chin:

More of a Captain Jack Sparrow

Postby Wildey

Ken and Lee Walker has played at the Crucible before in 1998 when Ken was Defending Champion he beat Walker 10-8.

Their only meeting has been in the World Championship

1998 Last 32 Ken Won 10-8
2015 Last 80 Ken Won 10-6
2021 Last 144 Lee Won 6-4

Postby Yanfan

SnookerFan wrote:What happened with Lilley and Holt?

It doesn't start until 5pm.

Postby Yanfan

Come on, Ken!

Don't lose to this boring bugger.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:Any on tonight?

I'm watching Movies With Ali Plumb here.

Who is Ali Plumb and what is she doing in your flat? :chin:

Postby James Bentley

Juddernaut88 wrote:Jimmy White vs Rory Mcleod is on now.

Come on Jimmy!

He played pretty well the other day, he might even win this.

Postby Iranu

I quite like Ali Plumb.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:

I quite like Ali Plumb.

He seems to always be on Red Button.