Post a reply

Re: Betfred World Championship (Sat April 30th) Semi-Finals!

Postby Holden Chinaski

Wildey wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:For me, this is the final. Ronnie v Higgins is what it’s all about. Ronnie proving one more time he is much better than Higgins when it really matters.

The Final has a Battle of Generation Feel about it we have not had at the World Championship ever before

2019?

Postby hendry_fan

Congrats to Ronnie,to his Fans,to the ones who rooted for him,to the ones who wanted him to win!. :clap: :hatoff:

Before the match started,i had a feeling that Ronnie would beat John.

Yeah,we all know,that Ronnies cra**ed his nappies often when he played John,but often does,nt mean always. <laugh>

I have no complaints at all how the match went,panned out,bout the run o the ball,etc,as Ronnie without a doubt was the better player and thouroughly deserves to be in the Final!.

John canny and didnae complain neither,as he also knows full well,that he had plenty o chances.Every dept of his game was over par.His scoreing,positional play,safety play was poor it has to be said,one aint gonna beat Ronnie,especially if all of those assets fail,in fact there,s a lot o players who one would,nt beat,playin the way John did,let alone Ronnie.

Ronnnie made SEVENTEEN 50+ breaks!,which is truly FANTABULOUS,INCREDIBLE!. :hatoff: :clap:

I dunno who holds the record,or how many 50+ breaks in a best of 33 is the record,but I have a feeling that what Ronnie achieved here against John,(SEVENTEEN 50+ breaks ),that that surely is a new record?. :chin:

John only made a measly seven 50+breaks,four of them were just over 50!.

I aint as disappointed as i thought i would be,but thats mainly because John was poor,if he eg had o played good,really good and of gotten beat,or eg,if he had o lost 17-16,17-15,i would o been gutted,but losing 17-11 is a clear defeat. :-)

I,m obviously now hopin that Judd,ll take care o Ronnie!. :-D :happy:

Postby McManusFan

hendry_fan wrote:Congrats to Ronnie,to his Fans,to the ones who rooted for him,to the ones who wanted him to win!. :clap: :hatoff:

Before the match started,i had a feeling that Ronnie would beat John.

Yeah,we all know,that Ronnies cra**ed his nappies often when he played John,but often does,nt mean always. <laugh>

I have no complaints at all how the match went,panned out,bout the run o the ball,etc,as Ronnie without a doubt was the better player and thouroughly deserves to be in the Final!.

John canny and didnae complain neither,as he also knows full well,that he had plenty o chances.Every dept of his game was over par.His scoreing,positional play,safety play was poor it has to be said,one aint gonna beat Ronnie,especially if all of those assets fail,in fact there,s a lot o players who one would,nt beat,playin the way John did,let alone Ronnie.

Ronnnie made SEVENTEEN 50+ breaks!,which is truly FANTABULOUS,INCREDIBLE!. :hatoff: :clap:

I dunno who holds the record,or how many 50+ breaks in a best of 33 is the record,but I have a feeling that what Ronnie achieved here against John,(SEVENTEEN 50+ breaks ),that that surely is a new record?. :chin:

John only made a measly seven 50+breaks,four of them were just over 50!.

I aint as disappointed as i thought i would be,but thats mainly because John was poor,if he eg had o played good,really good and of gotten beat,or eg,if he had o lost 17-16,17-15,i would o been gutted,but losing 17-11 is a clear defeat. :-)

I,m obviously now hopin that Judd,ll take care o Ronnie!. :-D :happy:

Well said HF,

I was really disappointed in just how poorly John played. I expected him to lose, and anyone who thought otherwise must not have been watching the same tournament!

I think maybe now's the time for him to try and get some help, rather than just do it all on his own as always.

Postby Holden Chinaski

HustleKing wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:For me, this is the final. Ronnie v Higgins is what it’s all about. Ronnie proving one more time he is much better than Higgins when it really matters.

Sorry dude, the final is Ronnie getting embarrassed by Trump

rofl rofl rofl

Postby SnookerArcher

Iranu wrote:
masterdoctorgenius wrote:
snucar wrote:
masterdoctorgenius wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Judd should be dominating like Hendry imo. His only serious competition are some old men.

that bus is long passed. At the age of 32/33 MJW, Higgins, Ronnie, Hendry, Davis, even Selby were mutliple WC, UK and Masters winners. I dont wanna devalue the other ranking events but you are measured by those TCs.

With the longevity the players have now, 32 is still fairly young. A good decade of dominance and all the records are gone. Trump has everything it takes.

Centuries yes, ranking event yes. Doubt he will even cross 4 in each TC event.

Selby was 31 (nearly 32) when he won his first WC. It’s far from impossible that Judd will match or surpass his haul.

Selby was 30 not 31 when he won what should have been Ronnie's 6th WT in 2014. I tend to be super good at remembering age and birthdays anyway, I was also 30 then (Selby's birthday's June 1983, he's half a year older than me. Only Trump's younger than me of all world champs. I share the same birthday as Ronnie though 8yrs later, I am not blessed in cuesports though) I didn't begrudge him then winning his first at 30, I was 30 so saw it that way, nice to see someone achieve their life ambition at that age.... How things changed from 2016 lol, like many fans I grew to detest 'Muck' Selby and his turgid play.
2016-17 easily my worst season since I started following snooker in Hearn's era as that was his greatest season by far.

Robbo, Murphy and Sourby are like the much less successful class of 92 with the 2nd oldest (Murphy) winning the WT 1st, then oldest (Robbo) then youngest last. Same order as the class of 92.

Trump sure he's won a record haul of tourneys in 3yrs (14 ranking and 2 TCs from 2018-2021) (Not kept up much this season I assume he won stuff other than champ of champions) but he's not been that big a part of the big 3 overall in all fairness since he became world champion. Where he is the total opposite of Ronnie, Ronnie berates himself never the opponent, even in victory lol. Judd? It's always external factors rather than himself at fault! Aforementioned flukes, bad luck or players slowing the game down... (E.g Nigel Bond in the UK)

Super disappointed Willo fell at the last hurdle, that's the 1 class of 92 WC final we've been denied so far of Rocket vs Willo, yes I know it likely will be a pasting maybe another 18-8 (Ronnie's most frequent final scoreline for some reason (2004 vs Dott, 2008 vs Carter, 2020 vs Wilson) but still 2 of my favourite players it was a dream match I sure thought may happen, then session 1happened which I didn't watch any of and I gave up on it... Then Willo gave a slither of hope with that comeback for nought ultimately and yes I was surprised he broke down, not like him at all. (Same as Ronnie in the final).... Credit to Judd though (Will post more of that in the final thread) being a great sport and competitor, he's been known to throw big leads, again opposite of Ronnie, Ronnie's THE frontrunner, Judd is not (As Ronnie pointed out in 2018 when Higgins vs Trump in QF). But Judd is a heck of a comeback player, many yrs back pre Hearn Ronnie compared him to Paul Hunter.

Will finish up reading the posts of Ronnie vs Haggis as some call him LOL then onto the Finals thread!

Postby SnookerArcher

snucar wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Iranu wrote:
masterdoctorgenius wrote:But he had multiple Uks and Masters under his belt.

True.

But this Week, Judd could start to elevate himself to another level

Exactly my point, that's why I said i get the vibes of the 1990 UK final between Davis and Hendry!

Not that it happened but it could indeed be a turning point in snooker's course, had he beaten Ronnie too, narrowly beating Willo who's considered the weakest of the 92 trio, decimating Higgins in 2019 for his maiden and to date only world title and then beaten the best of them all in the world final? Yeah definitely would be significant, he crushed Ronnie and Higgins in his championship year, Ronnie is the Master of Masters but had his worst TC final (Like Willo 7-1 opening session to Judd) and 18-9 is a crazy scoreline vs Higgins for anyone to manage, tactical players like him and Selby tend to thrive in longer matches.

Could say Selby's era seemed the changing of the old guard, with Ronnie having his only world final loss in 2014, then insult to injury also his only UK final defeat by Selby in 2016. Higgins also fell to him same season in the world final. But then Willo won in 2018 & Ronnie won 2 more in 4yrs, they just won't go away the class of 92! But yeah what a thing to put on his career CV if Judd did beat Ronnie in the final, beaten all 3 of the fabled 92 class in the 1 table setup of the Crucible! Currently he's won 2 lost 3 which is impressive objectively speaking. If not for the old trio Trump or Selby would have dominated the TCs the way the said old trio have done or Hendry/Davis/Reardon did. But that's life, if Ronnie didn't exist John would probably have eclipsed Hendry's records long ago & vice versa. Willo too would have won more.

Postby SnookerArcher

For Yanfan, if you indeed are a fan of Yan Bingtao, incase you didn't know it's pronounced Yen not Yan as the WST keeps getting wrong lol, such a pethate of mine how bad they are with chinese names (I am chinese). Like Ding they pronounce Hui as Way, H is NOT silent in mandarin! It's not a latin language! They went from reading it phonetically as Hwee which is wrong too to way, it sounds like Hway! Wenbo is Bwor not bo... Anyhow if/when we do get chinese world champions do hope they learn to pronounce the names right! (When they sometimes follow the chinese players and you hear them speak you do actually get to hear the names as they should be said, for instance the chinese lady who helps the chinese players she clearly pronounces it as 'Yen' when talking about Yan).... Oh another one, Lu/Lyu Haotian, tian is not shan it's Tien phonetically, t is t, not sh like vacation.

Flipside the chinese are maybe worse at pronouncing the British players hehe. Ronnie O'Sullivan is Longli O'Sulliben haha. I occasionally watch CCTV's broadcast, it's more composed than JV that's for sure!

Yan's definitely gone up my books since he won the Masters beating Higgins (Not a fan of him) and now Selby the defending champion yes! (Higgins and Selby are my joint least favourite players but I'd probably give Higgins more like as doesn't purposely drag the game out, he doesn't have flair but is very consistent and solid, Selby otherhand.... No offence to people who like frames to regularly last over 1hr but it's not to my liking! Which is sad as he's a good attacking player when he dares to be but he too often chooses the torturous game)

Postby SnookerArcher

Holden Chinaski wrote:
HustleKing wrote:

Not just Ronnie having beaten him twice on the 1 table now and this one comfortably overall but Willo too has had the better of Higgins at the Crucible more often than not. As Ronnie said it is odd, John's all round patient style is tailored for the long matches so would have thought he'd have more than 4 world titles. The match fixing fiasco doesn't help Higgins either, not a single youtube video with Higgins goes by without someone calling him a parakeet in the comments! I'd like to think all of his loses are real loses though lol as I enjoy them, it will only devalue the players who beat him if he indeed does throw some frames away for 300grand or w/e.

Postby SnookerArcher

Iranu wrote:I always say it: escaping from snookers is easily the worst part of Ronnie’s game.

He can make some of the greatest escapes too e.g. vs Selby in 2020's SF, haters won't admit it and said he was lucky, no he's very good at laying and escaping them, often when he wants to be though. Sometimes he does make a pig's ear of it yes. For me his worst part is how aggressive he is, more often than not he doesn't get the ball safe when he misses. Paradoxically it's also his strength, when he's firing he's unbeatable the way he plays an open game but it's a double edged sword.

Postby SnookerArcher

HustleKing wrote:

Sorry dude, the final is Ronnie getting embarrassed by Trump

Correct Trump made him cry! A first!

Postby SnookerArcher

mantorok wrote:
McManusFan wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
mantorok wrote:

I was just about to post the same thing, if it’s a trouncing too then all the more sweeter. This is all I needed to see all season.

:spot on:

Utter crap! I get it's a good win, but how you can take more satisfaction in Ronnie beating an underperforming Higgins, than a potential blockbuster Ronnie trump final is beyond me.

Because he hasn’t beaten Higgins here since 2001. Not to mention countless other collapses.

That's interesting, I've only really followed Ronnie since 2013 from the semi finals to present, where he had the sticky cue incident hehe, other than watching all his older world final triumphs prior posthumously via youtube, so he never beat Higgins again after his maiden world title in the Crucible? 2020 to win his first title in many yrs he overcame Selby who he never beat in the crucible and this WT also having to overcome a tough rival that had his number in this venue, so poetic!

Postby SnookerArcher

Georgi1914 wrote:Re: Betfred World Championship Final K.Wilson v R.O'Sullivan
16 Aug 2020

How about Ronnie beating an in form Trump in a final match for the 7th!? An in form Trump would be the ultimate challenge for Ronnie, now that he finally put Selby in his place. It would be the next epic chapter of the story of the great man. I know Ronnie has what is needed in him to figure out Trump's last year version if such an encounter happens in the coming years. Trump has a major problem with consistency and it is still unknown whether he is capable to fix that in the future. My opinion is that these consistency problems can't be resolved drastically and will hurt his legacy eventually. It must be said, however, that in the instances when he delivers his best snooker, it is something very special to watch. And that is exactly what I want the Rocket to accomplish - to win a world title beating an in form Trump, preferably in a final

The reposting function didn't work and I just copied my post from the 2020 WC final thread. I guess my wish for the 2 of them to meet in a world final came true! :) I have expressed this opinion of mine several times on this forum - The Rocket beating Trump in the Crucible final would be beyond epic. Come on Ronnie!

Good post, re Judd, he started his dominance from when his brother Jack became his tour partner, even simple things like picking the balls out for him during practise has improved Judd's performance a lot, he was a far from consistent winner prior, somewhat lower standing than Ding so among the never to have won the world title he was below Jimmy White's standing but winning the Northern Ireland open against sight right Ronnie who refound his longpotting & had beaten Selby in a very tight SF then sparked his run, dismantling Ronnie in the day session of the Masters final by 7-1, then the world title beating Higgins 18-9 in the final and a record 7 centuries. Then the record 6 ranking tournaments in 19-20 albeit the tourneys weren't the most major ones, no UK title... 5 in the covid bubble season. So he definitely did find consistency outside of the triple crowns but I agree he's underperformed in them since becoming world champion (Barring 1 UK final and now WC final).... I will say he's much better in his tactical game now so is a more complete player, he is prone to losing against players he shouldn't though much more so than Ronnie and isn't a good frontrunner though an excellent chaser.

It is good though for the fans, Selby had his era & Ronnie got him back 6yrs later for 2014's world final but by that time it was Trump who was the top player so even with beating Selby, Trump had Ronnie's number recent seasons and one of the few players anywhere with a superior head to head vs Ronnie, which doesn't feel right hehe so Ronnie getting a shot at Trump in good form would be good to see just how either stand as greats & it is fitting also with Ronnie reclaiming no.1 in the rankings to face off the most dominant player of recent years, funny how things go it seemed we'd never be rid of the stain of Muck Selby perpetually being no.1, especially in 2016-17 where he won 6 ranking titles, 3 of which were the triple crowns so a lot of raaaaanking points (Ronnie's faux aussie accent), 2017-18 Selby had a bad season he likes to say but lol his 2 tournament wins were huge in money being chinese tournaments, heck the China open is £225k, which was the 2nd biggest prize of any tournament even more than the Masters and UK then. (STILL more than the UK now at 200k)

Then Trump took nearly everything that's not a TC for 2yrs, I admit I liked him more when he wasn't winning all the time hehe. His hoovering of tournaments (Barring the triple crowns ofc) put even Hendry's prime to shame.

Goldenballs147 wrote:That will have put a lot of ghosts to rest.

Gutted that Williams didn’t get through because I would have loved nothing more than to see him and O’Sullivan go head to head over 35 frames.

Fingers crossed for the 7th.

That's exactly my sentiments plus it would be so fitting too, Willo was the opponent when Hendry claimed his 7th title, would be again if Ronnie did go on to winning vs Willo instead of Judd! Dream match spoiled.... I felt so disappointed & with how long the match was too, didn't leave much of a break before the concluding session of Ronnie vs Higgins, though Ronnie won comfortable I was more down at the end of the day with Willo's defeat and our last class of 92 iteration of a world final we've yet to see.

Postby SnookerArcher

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Wildey wrote:

The Final has a Battle of Generation Feel about it we have not had at the World Championship ever before

2019?

Aye amazing how forgetful people can be even with recent history. Like Hazel for 2019 saying Higgins is repeating a feat not seen since the days of Jimmy White and Hendry, Davis etc making 3 finals in a row. ERM Ronnie nearly/should have threepeated from 2012-14?

Postby SnookerArcher

SnookerFan wrote:Mon Judd.

You said you hate Ronnie, can't help but feel sick hearing that... Why do you hate him? And don't say you don't but pity the fool lol. Whenever I see Michaela Tabb I keep thinking about the sticky cue (no pun) incident hehe, also you talk about Seema like you've never seen a woman before.

Postby SnookerArcher

Holden Chinaski wrote:
HustleKing wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

rofl rofl rofl

So back in the drought when it wasn't certain when Ronnie would win his 6th world title there was 1 hater of his on youtube called Hi, some suspected it was Murphy lol they didn't deny it, they kept defending Hearn whenever people bashed him and his bleeding players dry tour model, kept slating Ronnie in everything including his novels (Funny they said he writes awful crime novels, did he read them to know they're awful?) and boldly said in 1 post 'Ronnie will never win another world championship!'. After 2020's win I went back to find their post and it was gone LOL. Real pity I wanted to see the tirade of comments laughing at the poster! To bring it up again I was a true faithful fan, I never doubted Ronnie would win one more, 2 I thought yes if he plays till 50 why not? But that was more cautious optimism than saying I'd put money on Ronnie winning 7 by 50, if Ronnie hadn't won his 6th by 2024 then I'd start worrying big time! He tends to win in leap years and averages a win every 3-4yrs, 2013 came well ahead of schedule (As has title 7) so the lean spell from 2014-19 was intolerable for fans but on the whole it averages out ok. Funny how much grief Ronnie got not making the 1 table in all those years but Robertson gets far less, despite he's had a far worse Crucible record, just 1 SF since being world champion over 12yrs.

Postby TheRocket

The 2014 final was a tough one to take but I'm glad it didnt stop ROS from getting to 7 World titles eventually. The 2020 semis was a legendary moment and the start of Rons revival at the Crucible. I can only repeat myself, if Ronnie had lost that match he would have been finished for good at the World Championship. It would have killed him. We will always look back at that match.

And while 2020 was a battle all way through it gave him the confidence to go on and do what he did in 2022. He was completely different league in 2022. Pretty much as good as any previous version.

Postby Dan-cat

Good lord Snookerarcher you are long, and late to the debate. <laugh>

I’ve never understood hatred of Ronnie either. Seems perverse. And they always recall his odd missteps - bad behaviour at press conferences or walking out of that Hendry match whilst deep in a bipolar depression dip. As if somehow being human is not allowed for Ronnie. I’d rather that than the ultimate crime: being dull.

I recently had a pool table recovered here in Spain and in the run up to it me and the pool table guy had built a great relationship chatting about snooker and swapping long WhatsApp audios. Then when we finally met on the day of the recovering he turned out to be a Ronnie h*ter. It was just after he’d beat Robbo in the Grand Prix with that amazing frame needing two snookers, and that spell in the final session where he took us to that realm that no other player can do. Never quite been the same since between us since then, and I was gonna get him to do my snooker table.

Postby McManusFan

Hating any snooker player seems a little weird. I can get not supporting Ronnie though - he's clearly the best, so it's always going to be higher stakes for whoever beats him on the day.

Also, he plays a little too fast for me! He plays beautiful shots and creative ones too, but I'd appreciate a couple of seconds to appreciate them!

Postby Reg Varney

SnookerArcher wrote:
Scooper wrote:Finish this off Ronnie - had enough of honest John

Honest John lol, certainly not what a lot of fans call him on youtube, the exact opposite!

The "Honest John" is an ironic nickname, well it is whenever I used it.