Post a reply

Re: Cazoo British Open Last 64 and Heldover Last 128 !!!

Postby lhpirnie

SnookerFan wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:The commentators really don't think beyond the stats (via Cuetracker). The reason Yuan Sijun dropped off tour was because he didn't hit a ball for 6 months during the 2020 lockdown.

Yates. :grrr:

Well, Doherty as well. Yesterday, Hendon and McManus were really slamming Bai Langning. But Bai only returned from China last week, his luggage was lost and he was playing with a borrowed cue. I do think the commentators should know a bit more about the players' situations.

Postby Iranu

lhpirnie wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:The commentators really don't think beyond the stats (via Cuetracker). The reason Yuan Sijun dropped off tour was because he didn't hit a ball for 6 months during the 2020 lockdown.

Well, Doherty as well. Yesterday, Hendon and McManus were really slamming Bai Langning. But Bai only returned from China last week, his luggage was lost and he was playing with a borrowed cue. I do think the commentators should know a bit more about the players' situations.

I think part of the problem with the above is that particularly the former player commentators are going to get most of their backstage info from talking to the players (you’d expect Hendon and Yates to have other channels and do better) but how much of a relationship do they have with young Chinese players? How much do those players want to converse with say Angles, and how much of an effort does Angles make to cultivate a friendship? Does language barrier play a part in that?

I don’t recall Hendon and McManus particularly slamming Bai any more than they would criticise any other player playing the way he was. But if he was playing under those conditions then that changes the complexion of his performance completely.

Postby McManusFan

Iranu wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

I think part of the problem with the above is that particularly the former player commentators are going to get most of their backstage info from talking to the players (you’d expect Hendon and Yates to have other channels and do better) but how much of a relationship do they have with young Chinese players? How much do those players want to converse with say Angles, and how much of an effort does Angles make to cultivate a friendship? Does language barrier play a part in that?

I don’t recall Hendon and McManus particularly slamming Bai any more than they would criticise any other player playing the way he was. But if he was playing under those conditions then that changes the complexion of his performance completely.

I think the issue is more with the producers. It should be someone's job to do this research.