Post a reply

Re: Cazoo British Open Semi Finals !!!

Postby Iranu

“It could have been Take That but let’s talk The Beatles.

That was A Hard Day’s Night.”

Y’know what Yates? I’ll give you that.

Postby HappyCamper

TheRocket wrote:Triple Crown titles > ranking titles. Triple Crown titles are the only three constants in the game and the best benchmark to compare players including from different generations. Any other tournament can come and go and then you can have more rankers or less rankers during a season.

expect for the one third of the so called triple crown which was radically altered like a decade ago.

Postby Ck147

It is Ryan’s day! Allen’s to lose tomorrow

Postby csprince

Iranu wrote:“It could have been Take That but let’s talk The Beatles.

you'll be complimenting jill next.

Postby TheRocket

Iranu wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Triple Crown titles > ranking titles. Triple Crown titles are the only three constants in the game and the best benchmark to compare players including from different generations. Any other tournament can come and go and then you can have more rankers or less rankers during a season.

Nah the Triple Crown is a bull construct by the BBC since they stopped showing the Grand Prix. Until then they would talk about the “Grand Slam of Snooker”. As soon as they dropped it, it became the “Triple Crown”.

Let’s be honest. It’s the World Championship and then it’s everything else. The relative importance of everything else is up for debate.

If history was important as you say (and as I think it should be) the Welsh Open would be the 4th biggest tournament on the calendar.

I dont think its just some construct. Many players called them the most important tournaments. Obviously the World Championship is the biggest, no question but look what Hendry says.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fmZJ5U3FXM#t=1m30s

Postby Iranu

csprince wrote:

You shut your bucking mouth

Postby csprince

Iranu wrote:
csprince wrote:

rofl

Postby Ck147

Iranu wrote:
Ck147 wrote:
Iranu wrote:The record books will show what the record books will show.

Wise words indeed

Wise and, if I may say so, slightly pompous.

Yeah, lol, you need to stop that mate

Postby Iranu

TheRocket wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Nah the Triple Crown is a bull construct by the BBC since they stopped showing the Grand Prix. Until then they would talk about the “Grand Slam of Snooker”. As soon as they dropped it, it became the “Triple Crown”.

Let’s be honest. It’s the World Championship and then it’s everything else. The relative importance of everything else is up for debate.

If history was important as you say (and as I think it should be) the Welsh Open would be the 4th biggest tournament on the calendar.

I dont think its just some construct. Many players called them the most important tournaments. Obviously the World Championship is the biggest, no question but look what Hendry says.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fmZJ5U3FXM#t=1m30s

Hendry is a BBC commentator speaking in 2017 (after they dropped the Grand Prix).

A few days ago, Hendry on commentary started talking about the biggest tournaments. He named The World Championship, The Tour Championship, and The Masters. No mention of the UK.
Last edited by Iranu on 01 Oct 2022, edited 1 time in total.

Postby mantorok

Iranu wrote:
csprince wrote:

Got to admit, she’s improved more in the last 12 months than I think she ever has previously.

Postby HappyCamper

Malagueño wrote:A shame there had to be a winner, really. And why has the Eurosport commentator continually called the referee Marcel Eckhart?

i'd assume he was originally assigned to referee and so his name was in the press pack or whatever, as the commentator never noticed a change.

Postby csprince

mantorok wrote:
Iranu wrote:
csprince wrote:

Got to admit, she’s improved more in the last 12 months than I think she ever has previously.

hold that thought.

Postby Iranu

csprince wrote:
Iranu wrote:
csprince wrote:

rofl

Case in point: that sign-off was bucking horrendous.

“First ITV final of the season ... [extremely pregnant pause] ... despite the Mixed Doubles.”

Oh gee, thanks for making all the efforts to legitimise the Mixed Doubles as an important showcase sound bucking pointless, Jill.

I know Dan will hate me for saying this but she’s so bad. And 9 years in, there’s really no excuse. She clearly just doesn’t give a rubbish about snooker and it shows every day.

Postby TheRocket

Iranu wrote:
Hendry is a BBC commentator speaking in 2017 (after they dropped the Grand Prix).

A few days ago, Hendry on commentary starting talking about the biggest tournaments. He named The World Championship, The Tour Championship, and The Masters. No mention of the UK.

The Tour Championship has the potential to be the most important tourney after the WC but the history isnt there yet. If it still exists in 15 years then it has a chance.

Imo Triple Crown tournaments are still the best benchmark for the era we are living in. In 20 years it could be different.

Postby Iranu

TheRocket wrote:
Iranu wrote:

A few days ago, Hendry on commentary starting talking about the biggest tournaments. He named The World Championship, The Tour Championship, and The Masters. No mention of the UK.

The Tour Championship has the potential to be the most important tourney after the WC but the history isnt there yet. If it still exists in 15 years then it has a chance.

Imo Triple Crown tournaments are still the best benchmark for the era we are living in. In 20 years it could be different.

I agree with everything you’re saying - although I’d put the CoC slightly ahead of the TC because it has the extra history so far.

I also agree that the TC tournaments are the most important. I have an issue with the concept of the TC itself (being mentioned as total TC wins, TC badges etc) because we all know it’s the WC then the rest, so lumping it in with the UK and Masters seems wrong.

Postby Iranu

mantorok wrote:Can someone bump the Jill Douglas Appreciation thread for Iranu?

To coin a phrase from SF:

I’ll bump you out that bucking window.

Postby Iranu

csprince wrote:i'm not convinced the tour championship is a huge deal given there's only 8 players.

There’s 128 players - only 8 make the finals.

Postby TheRocket

Iranu wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
Iranu wrote:

I agree with everything you’re saying - although I’d put the CoC slightly ahead of the TC because it has the extra history so far.

I also agree that the TC tournaments are the most important. I have an issue with the concept of the TC itself (being mentioned as total TC wins, TC badges etc) because we all know it’s the WC then the rest, so lumping it in with the UK and Masters seems wrong.

No doubt, fully agree on that one. I also dont see why someone who won all three multiple times has the same badge as someone who only won all three once.

I would get rid of the TC badge on the waistcoat and replace it with stars. One star for every World title win like it is in Football World Cup.
Last edited by TheRocket on 01 Oct 2022, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Ck147

SnookerFan wrote:Just made last orders in the bar.

Bloody late for you mate, get to sleep soon, big day tomorrow :)