Post a reply

Re: Betvictor Scottish Open Final!

Postby SnookerFan

HappyCamper wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:White to play two exhibition frames

Against who?

*Against whom.

Two volunteers from the audience. Looks like it's 'laughing' Ben Williams to referee, so I am hoping for some blue brown dimlo bantz.

Did he find anything funny during the frame?

Postby SnookerEd25

Johnny Bravo wrote:Just watched the result, couldn't believe my eyes, how on Earth did Robbo not steamroll these numpties ?!?

A question that proves you know little about professional snooker.

Postby Wildey

Johnny Bravo wrote:Just watched the result, couldn't believe my eyes, how on Earth did Robbo not steamroll these numpties ?!?

I thought exactly the same in 2005 when Ding beat Hendry for his 1st ranker but everyone has to start somewhere.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:

I thought exactly the same in 2005 when Ding beat Hendry for his 1st ranker but everyone has to start somewhere.

Not having a pop at Gary Wilson, but that's a somewhat different situation. Ding was a teenager, Gary Wilson is 37. When a younger player does that out of nowhere, it feels like somebody breaking onto the scene.

Not that I am assuming that Gary won't win more trophies, or that he's not good. But if he does win more trophies, it'll feel more like Bingham winning the Australian Open is a better analogy than Ding winning in China.

Postby Raiel

To be honest, Robbo didn't really have the run of the ball at crucial times.

Also, I wanted Joe to win. But well done, Gary. <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Let's not get carried away here.

Gary Wilson and Joe O'Connor are both good players. Joe maybe struggled yesterday, as it was his first final. He missed a few key shots that cost him a few of the frames.

But he's no mug. Neither is Gary.

Postby TheRocket

SnookerFan wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Not having a pop at Gary Wilson, but that's a somewhat different situation. Ding was a teenager, Gary Wilson is 37. When a younger player does that out of nowhere, it feels like somebody breaking onto the scene.

Not that I am assuming that Gary won't win more trophies, or that he's not good. But if he does win more trophies, it'll feel more like Bingham winning the Australian Open is a better analogy than Ding winning in China.

indeed. No disrespect to Gary Wilson but he even dropped off the tour and came back 7 years later. Ding was the supertalented kid everyone predicted to go on and do well and he obviously did despite not winning the Worlds.

The Bingham comparison is spot on. Both were similar age (Bingham 35, Wilson 37) and had a journeyman career before they they won their first ranking title. Bingham obviously went on to do unbelievable things. What Wilson does from here on remains to be seen. I would say best case scenario for him is to win 1-2 more ranking titles of the calibre of the Scottish Open. Anything above that would be massive.

Postby Iranu

To be fair Robbo never played Wilson this week, he lost to O’Connor. So from Johnny’s question a comparison between Wilson and Ding is irrelevant.

You’d have to think that if Robbo had come through Joe he’d have beaten Wilson - probably pretty handily.

Postby Wildey

Point is every player can win on their day and it's happened before many times Dave Harold in 1993 even Dominic Dale in 1997 beating John Higgins of all people was a major shock. The likes of Euan Henderson reaching a final was a shock Brian Morgan another

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:To be fair Robbo never played Wilson this week, he lost to O’Connor. So from Johnny’s question a comparison between Wilson and Ding is irrelevant.

You’d have to think that if Robbo had come through Joe he’d have beaten Wilson - probably pretty handily.

So, in other words, we're all talking rubbish.

No change there then.

Postby HappyCamper

Iranu wrote:To be fair Robbo never played Wilson this week, he lost to O’Connor. So from Johnny’s question a comparison between Wilson and Ding is irrelevant.

o'connor is also not a numpty.

Postby Juddernaut88

TheRocket wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Wildey wrote:

indeed. No disrespect to Gary Wilson but he even dropped off the tour and came back 7 years later. Ding was the supertalented kid everyone predicted to go on and do well and he obviously did despite not winning the Worlds.

The Bingham comparison is spot on. Both were similar age (Bingham 35, Wilson 37) and had a journeyman career before they they won their first ranking title. Bingham obviously went on to do unbelievable things. What Wilson does from here on remains to be seen. I would say best case scenario for him is to win 1-2 more ranking titles of the calibre of the Scottish Open. Anything above that would be massive.

:goodpost:

Postby hendry_fan

Now then!,HF was correct with his prediction!. :happy: Should o betted sum Bean n Tattie pies though!. :-D

Many congrats to Gary!. :win: :clap: <ok> :hatoff:

I did manage to see some o the Final,i saw Joe miss a few easy,key pots,as did Gary. :dizzy: :-)

Breaks wise,well it was nothin to shout about,faaar from it,especially from Joe,he only made Two 50+Breaks,one aint gonna win a Tourney by only managing Two 50+ers!.

Gary managed Five,2 were Centurys.

Garys tally Ranking finals has now been bumped up to 3 (1 title)

Joes now got a Ranking Final on the board,that,ll settle him down,he,ll have some more to come. :-)

Postby Raiel

Juddernaut88 wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:Gary is no longer the best player without a ranking title.

It's Jack Lisowski.

+1. :spot on:

Postby Reg Varney

Juddernaut88 wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:Gary is no longer the best player without a ranking title.

It's Jack Lisowski.

And it was Jack Lisowski before last night too.