Post a reply

Re: 2023 World Championship Countdown

Postby Alex0paul

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:I’ve heard he fires snooker balls out of his anus into each pocket

Buckets :irk:

That’s his nickname

Postby Juddernaut88

So with Judd Trump and Neil Robertson being number 4 and 5 in the world rankings this means they will be scheduled to play each other in the Quarter finals of the World championship if both players make it that far :-(

Postby D4P

Juddernaut88 wrote:So with Judd Trump and Neil Robertson being number 4 and 5 in the world rankings this means they will be scheduled to play each other in the Quarter finals of the World championship if both players make it that far :-(

Yep, with Ronnie in their Semi-Final.

Postby Juddernaut88

D4P wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:So with Judd Trump and Neil Robertson being number 4 and 5 in the world rankings this means they will be scheduled to play each other in the Quarter finals of the World championship if both players make it that far :-(

FFS Judd is screwed then. Knowing my luck he will probably get knocked out in the 1st or 2nd round anyway though.

Postby D4P

Juddernaut88 wrote:
D4P wrote:

FFS Judd is screwed then. Knowing my luck he will probably get knocked out in the 1st or 2nd round anyway though.

Based on how Ronnie's season has gone so far (and especially, in 2023), it doesn't seem like he'll make it past the 2nd round either...

Postby RunningSide

Got a bad feeling this could be the worst world's. Nobody seems capable of a consistent run of matches, expect the unexpected, Selby, Carter poss Murphy, not for me.

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerFan wrote:What stage of qualifiers does Jimmy enter? If it's the first round, maybe a Watache thread?

White will be 67th seed. So will be second round.

Postby HappyCamper

Juddernaut88 wrote:Is Jimmy in his 1st year of his 2 year tour card or 2nd?

He is currently in the second year. Though is high enough on the one year list to probably earn a new card.

Postby Womble

I don't know who to pick this year. If Ronnie gets his tip, ferrule (and his mind) sorted out, he may be virtually unbeatable over the long matches. But with the one year list being the way it is...who knows? Top players not performing and lower ranked players performing well. It will certainly be interesting?

Postby The_Abbott

RunningSide wrote:Got a bad feeling this could be the worst world's. Nobody seems capable of a consistent run of matches, expect the unexpected, Selby, Carter poss Murphy, not for me.

Its longer matches innit so the cream will eventually rise to the top if they get a bad start

Postby RunningSide

The_Abbott wrote:
RunningSide wrote:Got a bad feeling this could be the worst world's. Nobody seems capable of a consistent run of matches, expect the unexpected, Selby, Carter poss Murphy, not for me.

Its longer matches innit so the cream will eventually rise to the top if they get a bad start

Watched 30min of Higgins v Selby this morning, wouldn't be upset never to another frame again .

Postby lhpirnie

It's now almost possible to predict the World Championship qualifier matches.

If Ding doesn't get into the top 16 from his results in Hull, he will most likely have to play Kleckers then Yuan/Donaldson on 'Judgement Day'. If Ding does edge into the top 16, then Ryan Day gets those matches.

Postby gninnur karona

lhpirnie wrote:It's now almost possible to predict the World Championship qualifier matches.

If Ding doesn't get into the top 16 from his results in Hull, he will most likely have to play Kleckers then Yuan/Donaldson on 'Judgement Day'. If Ding does edge into the top 16, then Ryan Day gets those matches.

Against the odds perhaps but Gary Wilson could yet find himself in that 17th place.

Providing there are no more surprises before the draw (Fraser Patrick not entering for example) Jimmy White appears to be set to oppose Marco Fu (if he wins in the opening round), Noppon Saengkham then Xiao Guodong (if he wins in round 3 of the qualifiers) - not the easiest run to the Crucible.

Postby Womble

Selby coming into form just in time for the world championship. I'm going to predict a Ronnie/Selby final. I haven't picked a winner yet.

Postby chengdufan

There's also the chance all the Chinese players will be exonerated and reinstated tomorrow.
"Turns out it was one big joke"

Postby RunningSide

Considering Ronnie's claims and excellent comeback by world snooker,I can see a few players taking a opportunity to mess with Ronnie's head close to Crucible.

Postby SnookerEd25

RunningSide wrote:Considering Ronnie's claims and excellent comeback by world snooker,I can see a few players taking a opportunity to mess with Ronnie's head close to Crucible.

He’ll not be happy at all about that :sad:

Postby Womble

chengdufan wrote:There's also the chance all the Chinese players will be exonerated and reinstated tomorrow.

chengdufan. From your posts it is obvious that you are either Chinese, or at least live in China. Now, please don't think this is racist, because I honestly don't mean it that way. But, from your point of view, what do you think is going on with all the Chinese players being suspended. I don't know. But it wouldn't surprise me at all if there were some kinds of threats involved, at least from what was said about Liang Wenbo. Do you have any ideas? Personally, I hope they are not too hard on them. I really wouldn't like to lose players like Yan and Zhao from the circuit. I really like watching them. :-)

Postby RunningSide

SnookerEd25 wrote:
RunningSide wrote:Considering Ronnie's claims and excellent comeback by world snooker,I can see a few players taking a opportunity to mess with Ronnie's head close to Crucible.

He’ll not be happy at all about that :sad:

A mardy Ron is less of a threat and brings more players likely to beat him,not nice but sure a tactic he'd use without question.

Postby lhpirnie

Unofficially, this is the likely pairings for the 2nd Round:

Scott Donaldson v Adam Duffy
Jak Jones v Himanshu Jain
Ben Woollaston v Dechawat Poomjaeng
Matthew Stevens v Oliver Brown
Jackson Page v Mohamed Ibrahim
Mark Joyce v Asjad Iqbal
Dominic Dale v Ryan Thomerson
Elliot Slessor v Ng On Yee
Oliver Lines v Allan Taylor
Wu Yize v Jamie O'Neill
Andy Hicks v Sean O'Sullivan
David Grace v Peng Yisong
Mark Davis v Andres Petrov
Zhang Anda v Rod Lawler
Stuart Carrington v Muhammad Asif
Hammad Miah v Zak Surety
Xu Si v Alfie Burden
Alexander Ursenbacher v Ken Doherty
Jimmy White v Marco Fu
Mitchell Mann v Sanderson Lam
Louis Heathcote v Andy Lee
Peter Lines v Dean Young
Michael White v Aaron Hill
Julien Leclercq v Ben Mertens
Lei Peifan v James Cahill
Si Jiahui v Michael Judge
Ian Burns v Dylan Emery
Duane Jones v Andrew Pagett
Fraser Patrick v Barry Pinches
Craig Steadman v John Astley
Gerard Greene v David Lilley
Lukas Kleckers v Ashley Hugill

The player on the right will have had to win a 1st Round match against a random amateur.

Postby lhpirnie

Then the rest of the draw looks like this:

Ding Junhui / Lukas Kleckers v Yuan Sijun / Scott Donaldson
Barry Hawkins / Gerard Greene v Robbie Williams / Jak Jones
Anthony McGill / Craig Steadman v Cao Yupeng / Ben Woollaston
David Gilbert / Fraser Patrick v Jamie Clarke / Matthew Stevens
Hossein Vafaei / Duane Jones v Martin Gould / Jackson Page
Ricky Walden / Ian Burns v Thepchaiya Un-Nooh / Mark Joyce
Tom Ford / Si Jiahui v Jordan Brown / Dominic Dale
Zhou Yuelong / Lei Peifan v Liam Highfield / Elliot Slessor
Jimmy Robertson / Julien Leclercq v Anthony Hamilton / Oliver Lines
Chris Wakelin / Michael White v Tian Pengfei / Wu Yize
Matthew Selt / Peter Lines v Graeme Dott / Andy Hicks
Joe O'Connor / Louis Heathcote v Sam Craigie / David Grace
Joe Perry / Mitchell Mann v Lyu Haotian / Mark Davis
Noppon Saengkham / Jimmy White v Xiao Guodong / Zhang Anda
Stephen Maguire / Alexander Ursenbacher v Fan Zhengyi / Stuart Carrington
Jamie Jones / Xu Si v Pang Junxu / Hammad Miah

i.e. Ding Junhui is seeded to play Yuan Sijun on 'Judgement Day'.

Note that I've assumed Ding doesn't do well enough to overtake Ryan Day or Gary Wilson. But it could be one of them in that place of the draw.

Postby chengdufan

Womble wrote:
chengdufan wrote:There's also the chance all the Chinese players will be exonerated and reinstated tomorrow.

chengdufan. From your posts it is obvious that you are either Chinese, or at least live in China. Now, please don't think this is racist, because I honestly don't mean it that way. But, from your point of view, what do you think is going on with all the Chinese players being suspended. I don't know. But it wouldn't surprise me at all if there were some kinds of threats involved, at least from what was said about Liang Wenbo. Do you have any ideas? Personally, I hope they are not too hard on them. I really wouldn't like to lose players like Yan and Zhao from the circuit. I really like watching them. :-)

I have no idea, but I gave my best guess in speculation on the thread about the suspensions.

Postby lhpirnie

Womble wrote:Personally, I hope they are not too hard on them. I really wouldn't like to lose players like Yan and Zhao from the circuit. I really like watching them. :-)

The WPBSA probably won't have much choice but to be harsh on them. They are bound by precedent and some strong opinions, particularly from the betting community and some influential players. It's possible that one of the young players might actually be cleared, but the other 8 will be relegated, either in 2023 or in 2024.