Post a reply

Re: 2023 World Championship Countdown

Postby D4P

SnookerFan wrote:
D4P wrote:Will we finally get a Ronnie-Hendry final?

Don't be absurd.

No way does Ronnie reach the final.

Good point. Much more likely that we'll get a rematch of the 1990/92/93/94 Finals...

Postby gninnur karona

I find it a bit sad that as a consequence of the expected absence of Zhao Xintong and Yan Bingtao it appears probable that Luca Brecel will be the sole top 16 representative of the under-30s. It would be great if one of Hossein Vafaei, Zhou Yuelong or Joe O'Connor could win one of the three remaining ranking events pre the Worlds and force their way in.

I am also keeping an eye out for Ding Junhui. Within striking distance of a top 16 place, favourably placed to qualify for the Tour Championship, plenty of incentive to do well over the coming weeks.

Having said that no doubt that Robert Milkins, Allister Carter and the more youthful 37-year-old Gary Wilson have fully earned their current provisional seeding positions. If they're still there after the Tour Championship they will have fully deserved to be seeded through to the Crucible.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:Ali Carter, for the win.

I would so love to see a first time winner; just not that one :hmmm:

#fussyrunt

Postby D4P

It's becoming increasingly likely that the 15-Red World Championship will be the first and only ranking title of the year for Ronnie, Judd, Robertson, Williams, or Higgins...

Postby SnookerFan

D4P wrote:It's becoming increasingly likely that the 15-Red World Championship will be the first and only ranking title of the year for Ronnie, Judd, Robertson, Williams, or Higgins...

It's ranking?

Postby D4P

SnookerFan wrote:
D4P wrote:It's becoming increasingly likely that the 15-Red World Championship will be the first and only ranking title of the year for Ronnie, Judd, Robertson, Williams, or Higgins...

It's ranking?

Should it be?

Postby SnookerFan

D4P wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

It's ranking?

Should it be?

Is it really ranking?

Postby Alex0paul

SnookerFan wrote:
D4P wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

It's ranking?

Should it be?

Is it really ranking?

Yea it’s been a ranking event every year since 1977

Postby SnookerEd25

It was the first - AND REMAINS THE BEST - Ranking Event.

Surprised you’d never noticed, SF :roll:

Postby SnookerFan

Alex0paul wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
D4P wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

It's ranking?

Should it be?

Is it really ranking?

Yea it’s been a ranking event every year since 1977

Oh, I am so bucking thick.

I read it as the 6-reds. rofl

<doh>

Postby gninnur karona

Here's a form guide of recent eventual winners.
2018-19 Judd Trump. Ranking events won: Northern Ireland Open and World Grand Prix. Invitation event won: Masters. Tour Championship: SF.
2019-20 Ronnie O'Sullivan. Invitation event won: Shanghai Masters. Tour Championship: did not qualify.
2020-21 Mark Selby. Ranking events won: European Masters and Scottish Open. Tour Championship: SF.
2021-22 Ronnie O'Sullivan. Ranking event won: World Grand Prix. Tour Championship: SF.

Postby lhpirnie

Prop wrote:5 weeks to go!

Actually, just over 3 weeks to go. The World Championship starts on 3rd April. I will probably be there, although tickets haven't been put on sale yet for Sheffield Institute of Sport.

Postby SnookerFan

lhpirnie wrote:

Actually, just over 3 weeks to go. The World Championship starts on 3rd April. I will probably be there, although tickets haven't been put on sale yet for Sheffield Institute of Sport.

I e-mailed the WST about this.

They e-mailed back saying that tickets for the Qualifiers would go on sale "in due course".

Postby lhpirnie

SnookerFan wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

They e-mailed back saying that tickets for the Qualifiers would go on sale "in due course".

With the same draw structure as last year, but back to best-of-19's, they will need 8 tables (at least). It's possible to do it in 10 days, but each of the first 3 rounds will last 8 sessions, so will overlap a day.

I like so see all the players, so I'll probably travel up on the 3rd, and return home to watch the final round online.

But yes, it's appalling to leave it so late to issue tickets. My hotel charges £60 for a cancellation fee. I considered going to the WST Classic, but ultimately they only allowed spectators in for the final day.

Postby SnookerFan

lhpirnie wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

With the same draw structure as last year, but back to best-of-19's, they will need 8 tables (at least). It's possible to do it in 10 days, but each of the first 3 rounds will last 8 sessions, so will overlap a day.

I like so see all the players, so I'll probably travel up on the 3rd, and return home to watch the final round online.

But yes, it's appalling to leave it so late to issue tickets. My hotel charges £60 for a cancellation fee. I considered going to the WST Classic, but ultimately they only allowed spectators in for the final day.

Maybe that's what it is.

The change in format is making it difficult to plan.

WST were never very good at these things.

Postby gninnur karona

lhpirnie wrote:With the same draw structure as last year, but back to best-of-19's, they will need 8 tables (at least). It's possible to do it in 10 days, but each of the first 3 rounds will last 8 sessions, so will overlap a day.

Although using just 8 tables would result in overlap, it would have the benefit of enabling all players to be given at least one clear day between matches throughout the qualifiers - which was not the case under the old 11 table format.

Postby lhpirnie

gninnur karona wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:With the same draw structure as last year, but back to best-of-19's, they will need 8 tables (at least). It's possible to do it in 10 days, but each of the first 3 rounds will last 8 sessions, so will overlap a day.

Although using just 8 tables would result in overlap, it would have the benefit of enabling all players to be given at least one clear day between matches throughout the qualifiers - which was not the case under the old 11 table format.

Yes, except of course those who played their round 3 match on the 10th April. They will have to return for the Judgement Days on 11th & 12th. There will be 8 players who have to play 4 sessions in 3 days.

Postby gninnur karona

lhpirnie wrote:
gninnur karona wrote:

Yes, except of course those who played their round 3 match on the 10th April. They will have to return for the Judgement Days on 11th & 12th. There will be 8 players who have to play 4 sessions in 3 days.

I was assuming that they would play top half to a conclusion on Judgement Day 1 and bottom half on Judgement Day 2.