Post a reply

Re: Johnston's Paint Players Championship Final !!!

Postby The_Abbott

When Ronnie criticised John Astley he was pretty much saying that he won't make many 50+ breaks so may as well give up but here we had 2x Top 16 players playing like a John Astley.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:Why does everyone need a nickname anyway? If one applies, that's fine. But why force it?

My point exactly. If it’s forced, it’s just cringe…

Postby SnookerEd25

Prop wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Why does everyone need a nickname anyway? If one applies, that's fine. But why force it?

This is why.

Actually one of my mates has a similar personality. Perpetually full of energy, loud, busy, just doesn’t switch off and always has to be part of whatever’s going on at the time. ADHD. But at the same time he hasn’t got a single bad bone in his body, and he’d do anything to help anyone. So for all the ribbing Walker gets, and as irritating as he can be, he’s probably a really good egg.

Oh he annoys the hell out of me, but I bet he’s a good laugh in the bar, for sure.

Does he ever sleep, I wonder? :chin:

Postby SnookerEd25

Prop wrote:

This is why.

Actually one of my mates has a similar personality. Perpetually full of energy, loud, busy, just doesn’t switch off and always has to be part of whatever’s going on at the time. ADHD. But at the same time he hasn’t got a single bad bone in his body, and he’d do anything to help anyone. So for all the ribbing Walker gets, and as irritating as he can be, he’s probably a really good egg.

Oh he annoys the hell out of me, but I bet he’s a good laugh in the bar, for sure.

Does he ever sleep, I wonder? :chin:

Postby LDS

chengdufan wrote:Well played Mark Allen!

No more snooker till late March :-(

Shame on the resident racists who felt that it was ok to call Zhang offensive names on here. You folks can buck off. You aren't welcome on Snooker Island.

It's been a hard day's night and I've been working like a dog this week, so missed most of this. Can I be filled in on what was the kind of things that are offensive. I know the whole point is they shouldn't be repeated, but how can I know what's on the cards. I do live a bit under a rock in this regard as these kind of topics tend to escalate very quickly, usually too quickly for me to keep up with.

I looked back a few pages and only saw the Short Round one which a couple of people reacted to. Short Round, AFAIK, is a loveable character from a beloved film franchise, and that's all I know about that reference. Has this shifted now so that that character is now viewed as an offensive stereotype or something? Or is it that the character is still beloved, but it's usage as a general descriptor is an indication of negative stereotyping?

Or was that not the one you were referring to and the actual ones have already been deleted?

Postby Iranu

LDS wrote:
chengdufan wrote:Well played Mark Allen!

No more snooker till late March :-(

Shame on the resident racists who felt that it was ok to call Zhang offensive names on here. You folks can buck off. You aren't welcome on Snooker Island.

It's been a hard day's night and I've been working like a dog this week, so missed most of this. Can I be filled in on what was the kind of things that are offensive. I know the whole point is they shouldn't be repeated, but how can I know what's on the cards. I do live a bit under a rock in this regard as these kind of topics tend to escalate very quickly, usually too quickly for me to keep up with.

I looked back a few pages and only saw the Short Round one which a couple of people reacted to. Short Round, AFAIK, is a loveable character from a beloved film franchise, and that's all I know about that reference. Has this shifted now so that that character is now viewed as an offensive stereotype or something? Or is it that the character is still beloved, but it's usage as a general descriptor is an indication of negative stereotyping?

Or was that not the one you were referring to and the actual ones have already been deleted?

Tell me: what do you think is the basis for referring to Zhang Anda as Short Round?

Postby Iranu

LDS wrote:
Iranu wrote:Tell me: what do you think is the basis for referring to Zhang Anda as Short Round?

I have no idea. I haven't watched the series for neigh on 20 years.

You know him well enough to know from whence the reference came. I’ll reword the question for your benefit:

Using your powers of logical reasoning, what do you think might be the basis for calling Zhang Anda Short Round? Particularly given that you yourself recognised the reference and presumably - given your apparent lack of surprise or confusion - the reasoning behind it?

Postby D4P

Mark Allen credited his battling qualities as he claimed the Players Championship crown in a late-night finish on Sunday in Telford.

The Antrim man struggled to find his A-game but stuck in there to stumble over the line for his 11th ranking event title, one behind friend and part-time foe Shaun Murphy. Allen couldn't help but take a pop at Murphy when that statistic was brought up at the trophy presentation live on ITV.

"If your target is Shaun Murphy, you've got issues," laughed Allen who finished the tournament with the most centuries and the highest break with his 146 in round one.

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/sport/oth ... e-28705615

Postby Womble

LDS wrote:Oh well. I'm quite rubbish at riddles, can someone just PM me, would that be easier?

That's a picture of an obtuse angle. An angle that measures more than 90 degrees and less than 180 degrees. He's trying to insinuate that you are being obtuse.

Regarding your question about the kind of things that are offensive these days. It's basically ANYTHING to do with race, body shape, gender, sexuality, skin colour etc. And other things as well.

In my day we used to say: "Sticks and stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me."

And I live by that to this day. If someone wants to call me names I don't give a buck. It doesn't bother me at all. I don't care what they think.

But nowadays people have been brainwashed to take offence at virtually everything. Even if it's just a good-natured jibe. Simply a bit of fun.

I'm so glad I'm not like that. It must be horrible.

Postby Iranu

Womble wrote:
LDS wrote:Oh well. I'm quite rubbish at riddles, can someone just PM me, would that be easier?

That's a picture of an obtuse angle. An angle that measures more than 90 degrees and less than 180 degrees. He's trying to insinuate that you are being obtuse.

Regarding your question about the kind of things that are offensive these days. It's basically ANYTHING to do with race, body shape, gender, sexuality, skin colour etc. And other things as well.

In my day we used to say: "Sticks and stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me."

And I live by that to this day. If someone wants to call me names I don't give a buck. It doesn't bother me at all. I don't care what they think.

But nowadays people have been brainwashed to take offence at virtually everything. Even if it's just a good-natured jibe. Simply a bit of fun.

It’s good to know that you too are quite rubbish at riddles

Postby chengdufan

@LDS
If you describe a person by combining a word related to race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, disability or socio-economic status with another word which has negative connotations, then you've described them in a way that is derogatory.

It's important not to use derogatory language, not only because it isn't very nice, but because as long as that kind of language remains in use it has real world impacts on people. We all carry unconscious biases against people because of these kinds of expressions (and other things), and in society as a whole, decisions are influenced by this.

For those of us who want to live in an inclusive, equal society, cutting out that kind of crap is a decent start.

Postby LDS

Thanks for the detailed reply Chen, and yes, similar to Womble's post, that's all stuff that I know and it's normally relatively easy to spot the nutters, but it doesn't mention the specifics of anyone's post as an example.

I've just read every post in the thread and can't see anything that specifically ticks those boxes in a really obvious way.

So I'm to assume the relevant content has been deleted? Probably rightly?

And that Short Round is just Iranu being Iranu?

Or is it's Mack's low effort remarks that are the issue?

Postby SnookerFan

mantorok wrote:
Womble wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:Yeh, I’m not clicking that :hmmm:

Why not?

It starts with https://twitter.com/

It's OBVIOUSLY a Twitter post.

This one is safe too:

https://twitter.com/pistol147/status/1762202939324527014?t=lTenogPcpOsIAGh0F9c6FQ&s=19

Nice to see Allen updating us on the situation.

Postby Womble

mantorok wrote:
Womble wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:Yeh, I’m not clicking that :hmmm:

Why not?

It starts with https://twitter.com/

It's OBVIOUSLY a Twitter post.

This one is safe too:

https://twitter.com/pistol147/status/1762202939324527014?t=lTenogPcpOsIAGh0F9c6FQ&s=19

Wow. You got me.

I will be the first one to admit when I'm wrong. And I was definitely wrong there.

Thank you for the information. <ok>

Postby Womble

Iranu wrote:
Womble wrote:

It’s good to know that you too are quite rubbish at riddles

Which riddle was I rubbish at?

Or are you just saying any old thing you can think of just to sound clever?