Post a reply

Re: Masters Almanac

Postby Empire State Human

Link to view/download edition 4 Jan 2022:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Vooi3P ... sp=sharing

This edition had a fair bit of input from Rudy Bauwens, who is a commentator for Dutch Eurosport. He did a lot of checking on the career played/won/lost stats and the money list - on which he duly pointed out I'd used the 1975 prize money for the 1979 tournament. Most of the sections below are his work/suggestions, too, except the head-to-heads, which only I'm mad enough to attempt.

What's new?

The biggest addition in this version is the complete head-to-head records at the Masters. 27 pages' worth.

Also ...
Centuries in the opening frame ...

Centuries in the concluding frame, including deciders ...

Centuries in consecutive frames.

Small section showing winners by nation.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h5VldDsaqdQK6x-9gPHCvnuDUCqunnrI/view?usp=sharing
Draft for the 2022 version. This will be updated again before next year, but I'm posting it now in case you're bored and want something to read.

Includes updated scores and tables for the 2022 event, and also new written sections on 147s, selection of wild cards, and background changes to the tournament after Benson & Hedges ceased sponsorship in 2003.

Also, other random trivia. I'm still trying to resolve the mystery of where the first trophy disappeared to - it seems it was dumped after the 1988 event for the second one which was eventually awarded to Stephen Hendry. I'm hoping the programmes will answer this ... but in the meantime, some of the updates below:

Thanks, Minimum Break.

A link to the first draft of this year's edition. Updated all the scores for 2023, and I've thrown in some stats for frequency of 30, 50, 70 and 100 breaks for each player and tournament, relative to the number of frames played.

On another point, I think I might include some of the scores for the Masters Qualifying/Satellite tournaments in future.

The final 2023 edition of the Masters Almanac:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tQ1r1H ... sp=sharing

A couple of new sections to draw your attention to:

p.65 - Champions who have lost their first match in the defence of their title. In recent years a high concentration of defending champions have fallen at the first hurdle - 10 times in the last 19 tournaments. Will Judd Trump fare better this year?

pp.68-72 - Frequencies of 30+, 50+, 70+ and century breaks for each player and tournament down the years. As you'd expect, the number of high breaks has increased over time. Only around half of the frames played in 1975 (51%) contained a 30 break, and there were no centuries. Last year over a fifth of frames (21.9%) had a century.