Post a reply

Info about English-Italian snooker players?

Postby MarcoStaiano

Hello,
I know that probably this may be no the easiest of the questions, mainly because it's related to kind of "obscure" players but I know that here I can find people with valuable knowledges, so I can find something!
I'm looking for more info about several players, with clear Italian roots, that tried to "make it" during the '90s/early 00's. Some of them played represeting Italy while others choose England.
I'm writing an essay about the relationship between my country and snooker.
Specifically these players are:
- Roberto Frezza, that won a match vs a young Neil Robertson 5-1 at the Benson&Hedges Championship in 2000.
- Sergio Beggiato, a talented player since a young age that used to practice at Kings Cross Snooker Club, Pentonville, London
- Claudio Ravagnani, that faced Neal Foulds at the 1991 Mita World Masters
-Carlo Giagnacovo, that was ranked number 120 and played between 2001 and 2004.
- Tony Pierucci, that used to practice at the Rainbow Snooker Centre in Manchester.
- Tony Rampello, that was finalist of the 1993 Merseyside Professional Championship and a former winner of the 1990 Pontins Spring Open.

Thank you to everyone that'll share something in order to help me!

Marco
Last edited by MarcoStaiano on 07 Jan 2022, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Info about English-Italian snooker players?

Postby SnookerEd25

Best of luck with your search, Marco. I have a bit of an obsession with obscure players but these are even too obscure for me! The only one I’ve heard of is Carlo Giagnacovo, and I couldn’t tell you much about him I’m afraid.

Hopefully a couple of my fellow Islanders may be able to assist you. I’ll be watching the thread with interest <ok>

Postby MarcoStaiano

Thanks Snookered25!
I'm continuing my researches and some people are really helping me! Seems I found someone that knows Carlo Giagnacovo and maybe I'll be able to chat with him! What I discovered is that he doesn't pic up a cue from quite a lot!
Also if someone knows something about Tony Pierucci (used to practice at the Rainbow Snooker Centre in Manchester) or Tony Rampello ( finalist of the 1993 Merseyside Professional Championship and former winner of the 1990 Pontins Spring Open) I'd be happy to receive more info! (I'll also edit the post)

Postby vodkadiet1

Mario Morra was the only player born in Italy to play at The Crucible, and his fellow Canadian Gino Rigitano was a former doubles player to the young Stephen Hendry.

Postby MarcoStaiano

I'm in touch with the Canadian Federation and I hope to talk with Mario soon!
Canada seems also another country in which there were lot of Italian descent players at various levels!