Post a reply

Club cue

Postby osullivanfan123

I'm beginner, and just wondering, can i play well with club cue or do i need to buy my own cue. Only problem with club cue is that i think it's too short for me. I'm about 6 feet long. Thanks for helping me :-)

Re: Club cue

Postby acesinc

osullivanfan123 wrote:I'm beginner, and just wondering, can i play well with club cue or do i need to buy my own cue. Only problem with club cue is that i think it's too short for me. I'm about 6 feet long. Thanks for helping me :-)

Hi OSullivanfan123,

No one is paying you much attention as the WC is on at the moment but your question deserves some sort of answer in a timely fashion.

As a dumb American who knew nothing of the game of Snooker until I stepped off an airplane in London when I was 19 years old, I can tell you that I fell in love with Snooker immediately upon seeing it on telly that evening. I played my first frame within 24 hours of that and I purchased my first cue within 72 hours. Get your own cue because, if you are doing it right, you should become quite intimate with your cue pretty quickly. You don't need to spend too much money on your first cue but as you progress and if you feel you want to improve beyond beginner status, you may want to get a cue from a reputable manufacturer sometime down the line.

The most important bit of your cue is the 1/8" of it at the end which will spend the most time closest to the cue ball. This of course is the tip and you will need to experiment with different types to find which you like the best. You should learn to tip your cue yourself. There is plenty of video instruction available. I am astounded when I come across a player who miscues frequently and keeps saying, "I have to get a new tip put on here!" and when I look, their tip is wafer thin to the point that you can see the circle of brass ferrule when you look at the tip face on. I would be embarrassed if my cue were to be in such a state. I tipped my first cue within a week of learning about the game. This is something of which you have zero control if you continue to use a house cue.

So the simple answer is yes, if you believe you will be serious about learning the game, get your own cue as quickly as possible but understand that your first cue probably won't be your best cue....it will probably be your "training wheels" so spend accordingly and upgrade as your skill improves.

Good luck!

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

osullivanfan123 wrote:I'm beginner, and just wondering, can i play well with club cue or do i need to buy my own cue. Only problem with club cue is that i think it's too short for me. I'm about 6 feet long. Thanks for helping me :-)

Hey O'Sullivan fan. The answer is yes, absolutely get your own cue as soon as you can! It can improve your game at least 25%.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Hi O'Sullivan Fan. Definitely get your own cue. Club ones are generally ropey and won't allow you to enjoy the game and improve as much. By using the same cue, you will develop a feel for how it performs and gain a better understanding of how the cueball reacts in a more consistent fashion.

Good luck

Postby vodkadiet

I prefer to get a cue off the rack in the club. It saves me having to carry a cue to the club. And this way my hands are free and I also won't targeted by people who hate people who play snooker.

Postby GJ

vodkadiet wrote:I prefer to get a cue off the rack in the club. It saves me having to carry a cue to the club. And this way my hands are free and I also won't targeted by people who hate people who play snooker.

<laugh>

Postby Badsnookerplayer

vodkadiet wrote:I prefer to get a cue off the rack in the club. It saves me having to carry a cue to the club. And this way my hands are free and I also won't targeted by people who hate people who play snooker.

Ha ha - like who?

Postby vodkadiet

Badsnookerplayer wrote:

Ha ha - like who?

Religious leaders mainly....

Postby Badsnookerplayer

vodkadiet wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:

Ha ha - like who?

Now I am more confused. What religious leaders take on snooker players?

Postby vodkadiet

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:

Ha ha - like who?

I am sure there must be something in Old Testament about how wrong it is to hit balls with sticks...

Postby GJ

vodkadiet wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:

Ha ha - like who?

I am sure there must be something in Old Testament about how wrong it is to hit balls with sticks...

<ok>

Postby Dan-cat

Yes get your own cue.

I lost my first Parris cue when I went to university. I left it under one of the tables, as I always did, in the working men's club where I practiced in Harrogate. There was shelving under the tables where we stored our cues. I went back a year later on my summer break and it had gone. I heard that one of my fellow club members, a good friend, had taken it to keep it safe, but he was nowhere to be found that weekend and this was back in '95 before everyone had a mobile. I heard recently that he'd fallen on hard times and had been on and off homeless. I hope he's OK. I just hope the cue is being used and loved by someone, somewhere, that would make me really happy.

As a sidenote, when I got to university, Royal Holloway in Egham, Surrey, my grant cheque had not made it's way to the collection office, and I only had £20 in my pocket. On the Wednesday of fresher's week, two days after I'd got there, there was a pool competition. 200 people entered it, and I battled through with a house cue and won - having trailed 2-0 in the final, winning 3-2. There was a picture of me in the college newspaper, holding aloft my cue Dennis Taylor style! The £50 I won meant I could eat for the next week until my cheque arrived. I was quoted in the interview as being 'f*cuking nervous.' Hehe. They had no idea how important it was to me. Thank f*ck for my misspent youth. Sorry. Off-topic.

Postby rekoons

Yes, shame on you!
Do you play often?

Postby Dan-cat

rekoons wrote:Yes, shame on you!
Do you play often?

Yes, once or twice a week, headed there in an hour! The thing is at my club the club cues are pretty decent. They are always different weight and tip size though. Daft really. How can I expect to improve my game. Duhhh. As you can see above in my early years I had a really decent one I just haven't got round to getting one since I started playing again properly a few years ago