Topic locked

Brazilian Masters - bits and bobs

Postby gallantrabbit

Bumped into Igor Figueiredo today out here in Sao Paulo who guarantees that of the 2 WSA wildcards he`s got one. The other is going to the Nugget.
Good news is there looks like being a qualy for the other 2 local wildcards. Cue is being dusted down, then I`ll look into which end to hold...
Bad news is Igor is unlikely to be on tour next season. He`s lost his sponsor despite finishing at 72 after year 1, (not bad for a fellow whose had little competition out here all these years.) Unless you`re a footballer, sponsors don`t look up from their leaue table :?
Maybe the master will change that!??
Can`t wait for September!!

Re: Brazilian Masters - bits and bobs

Postby gallantrabbit

Wild wrote:so igor not coming over :chin:

Not unless he sorts out a new sponsor. Appearing at the masters will help but he needs to secure sponsorship before September.
Par for the course for Brail unfortunately. Even Popo the boxer as world champ couldn`t find sponsors :?

Postby gallantrabbit

John From London Town wrote:Interesting info. Keep it coming.
If there is an Open comp over there, genuine, I know where I'm staying. ;-)

Will do John. I`m hoping Igor starts playing regularly at the club, so I can get in and pick balls out for him >-(
And more than welcome mate, I`m sure Brail would love to meet you <ok> Me too chief!

Postby John From London Town

gallantrabbit wrote:
John From London Town wrote:Interesting info. Keep it coming.
If there is an Open comp over there, genuine, I know where I'm staying. ;-)

Will do John. I`m hoping Igor starts playing regularly at the club, so I can get in and pick balls out for him >-(
And more than welcome mate, I`m sure Brail would love to meet you <ok> Me too chief!

Cool & the gang my friend, like it.

Postby Tubberlad

Best of luck with this Gallant <ok>

How high will the standard be in the qualifying for this, and do you expect to be up against many players?

Postby gallantrabbit

Tubbs,
There are some good cueists about, but if I was able to practice a lot more I could compete at least. Let's see if this event really takes place or if wildcards will be given to 'friends' as so often happens out here.

Postby Tubberlad

<laugh> yeah, I've heard things like that about Brazil alright...

Anyway, if it does materialise, I hope it goes well for you :hatoff:

Postby gallantrabbit

Just posted elsewhere. The venue for the Brazilian masters has been changed. Now in Santa Catarina in the extreme south. Will be going on a beano.
Let me tell you the place is a single man's dream. See anyone down there???

Postby Witz78

gallantrabbit wrote:Just posted elsewhere. The venue for the Brazilian masters has been changed. Now in Santa Catarina in the extreme south. Will be going on a beano.
Let me tell you the place is a single man's dream. See anyone down there???

I wish.

No doubt all these muppet pansy snooker players will jump on the first plane home after they lose and go home to be tucked into bed by their mum as they are missing their teddy bears.

In the 80s the players would have been going mad with all these foreign trips, imagine Alex, Kirk, Jimmy and Knowlesy out in Australia the now, knocked out or still in the tourny, theyd be partying it up making the most of it.

Instead Gouldy and "International Playboi" Trump have snake hissed off back to Smallville ASAP <doh>

Kinda tame behaviour youd expect from someone like Snookerfan :limp:

Postby Witz78

gallantrabbit wrote:Anyone who isn't delighted that the game has reached Brail, Thailand and Brazil should be shot. Memories are short..

Looks like your gonna need a few bullets then

Ronnie, Dott, Higgins, Carter, Trump for starters.

Postby snooky147

Witz78 wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:Anyone who isn't delighted that the game has reached Brail, Thailand and Brazil should be shot. Memories are short..

Get your facts straight Witz mate, Graeme is delighted there's an event in Brazil. But the fact remains that it's difficult to balance a family life especially if you have young kids. The poster who mentioned about partying, well it's not about partying, they are there to work, and I dont blame the likes of Carter etc who want back to their families
It does not lessen their commitment to the Sport.

Postby Witz78

snooky147 wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

Get your facts straight Witz mate, Graeme is delighted there's an event in Brazil. But the fact remains that it's difficult to balance a family life especially if you have young kids. The poster who mentioned about partying, well it's not about partying, they are there to work, and I dont blame the likes of Carter etc who want back to their families

of course it does

if they are fully committed to the sport, then their job, their profession, their meal ticket comes first ahead of family.

SOS to Wild, wade into this sorry mess and tell them how it is.

Ok fair enough, ill give Dott the benefit of the doubt on this occassion.

And as for jumping on the first plane home, the players could have taken their family with them if they missed them so much and made a holiday in Oz of it, around the tournament. They should be making the most of these opportunities and experiences.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
snooky147 wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

of course it does

if they are fully committed to the sport, then their job, their profession, their meal ticket comes first ahead of family.

SOS to Wild, wade into this sorry mess and tell them how it is.

Ok fair enough, ill give Dott the benefit of the doubt on this occassion.

And as for jumping on the first plane home, the players could have taken their family with them if they missed them so much and made a holiday in Oz of it, around the tournament. They should be making the most of these opportunities and experiences.

LOL

if they go to a tournament they there to win second is failure but family is still priority but i dont see any sense going in to events and saying TBH all i want to do is go home...despite anything else it looks bad for sponsors and the country of that event.even if you want to go home ffs don't tell a bloody press conference you cant wait to leave their country lol

if snooker wants a better future and more money todays players has to commit to that or they will only be second raters.

Postby gallantrabbit

I agree actually. Interviews like Carters are a bit wet in my mind. We've all hopefully got someone to go home to but would they prefer kicking their heels about for 6 weeks between tournaments so they can sleep at home every night or get stuck in, play all that's available and suddenly get invites for coffee from their bank manager. And as Witz said before have the odd party. Brazil is party time :hatoff:

Postby snooky147

gallantrabbit wrote:I agree actually. Interviews like Carters are a bit wet in my mind. We've all hopefully got someone to go home to but would they prefer kicking their heels about for 6 weeks between tournaments so they can sleep at home every night or get stuck in, play all that's available and suddenly get invites for coffee from their bank manager. And as Witz said before have the odd party. Brazil is party time :hatoff:

Cant you get it into your head mate?. They are family men , most of them, they are not interested in party time. They are there to work.

Postby Witz78

snooky147 wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:I agree actually. Interviews like Carters are a bit wet in my mind. We've all hopefully got someone to go home to but would they prefer kicking their heels about for 6 weeks between tournaments so they can sleep at home every night or get stuck in, play all that's available and suddenly get invites for coffee from their bank manager. And as Witz said before have the odd party. Brazil is party time :hatoff:

Cant you get it into your head mate?. They are family men , most of them, they are not interested in party time. They are there to work.

the problem is most of them arent there to work or party, there going through the motions not wanting to be there full stop.

as Hendon says most of the players dont even leave the hotel <doh>

the players should be excited and loving all these opportunties now, but most seem to have prefered the easy life under Walker. Its up to the young guns to seize the opportunity.

Postby snooky147

LOL

if they go to a tournament they there to win second is failure but family is still priority but i dont see any sense going in to events and saying TBH all i want to do is go home...despite anything else it looks bad for sponsors and the country of that event.even if you want to go home ffs don't tell a bloody press conference you cant wait to leave their country lol

if snooker wants a better future and more money todays players has to commit to that or they will only be second raters.
[/quote]

It's expensive enough to go to Australia, seeing as they were paying their own way so how on earth can family go with them.
Snooker does want a better future but Hearn (who I have the greatest respect for) has to ensure that when an Invational Tournament like Brazil is put on the least he can do is ensure that the players dont have to pay for the bloody flights themselves. Is this commitment to the Sport to include losing money on flights and hotels?. They have already done this on ranking events which is okay if they raised the prize money to cope. Not knowing the prize fund for Brazil I dont know if it is financially feasible to go.
Commitment goes both ways Barry.

Postby gallantrabbit

Yeah well Snooky sometimes in life you have to take a risk. Do you think Selty went to Aus thinking he was going out first round? Clearly not as he's just about to shake hands with Hendry.
Do you think Darren Clarke doesn't put family first? He still found time for a damn good party and some of these limp lifeless souls in snooker should learn to enjoy life a little more too. Evertime they play it's an opportunity to earn money. As Hearn says there are no guarantees. One of his most famous phrases was always "Winner takes all. Losers make their own arrangements."
In sport opportunities don't last forever. Who knows if John Higgins's world title wasn't his last ranker? Unlikely I know but not impossible. So players have to make maximum effort in every event. The majority of snooker tournaments are still UK based so in this way snooker players are spoilt. When OPPORTUNITIES come to go to places like Aus, Brazil, Thailand etc get yer head out yer bottom and take advantage. Do your practice, get your sleep and then go and SEE something of the world, instead of living life in a coccon. And that includes the occasioanl party.

Postby Wildey

mate players has to give something back why should hearn pay for players that like witz say going through the motions.

they are in this together one man can not change the sport its everyone working as one to get sponsors interested.

sponsors are not going to be interested if players say id prefer to be home feeding the baby.......im sorry but thats fact.

Postby gallantrabbit

Wild wrote:mate players has to give something back why should hearn pay for players that like witz say going through the motions.

they are in this together one man can not change the sport its everyone working as one to get sponsors interested.

sponsors are not going to be interested if players say id prefer to be home feeding the baby.......im sorry but thats fact.

Absoluitely spot on Wild. Players have to realize that they have to do their own marketing too, on and off the table. Make a little effort, go see the sights and when you've potted the last black, go have a beer with the locals. Snooker can only gain.

Postby Wildey

just show the world you want to be there.

the likes of trump 21 and single his next match is on 8th of August Christ few days around bendigo wouldn't hurt. but no he goes home.

unless there's going to be a IBIZA Masters lets do your party in Australia <ok>

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:just show the world you want to be there.

the likes of trump 21 and single his next match is on 8th of August Christ few days around bendigo wouldn't hurt. but no he goes home.

unless there's going to be a IBIZA Masters lets do your party in Australia <ok>

same with Carter, even if hed won this event hed have still have had 2 weeks to change nappies before his next tournament.

what other sports do players get 2 week breaks regularly throughout the season.