Post a reply

Re: Betfair Masters Final Discussion !

Postby Monique

And the postmatches.
Unfortunately I missed most of Robertson's one because I was still in the arena taking pictures of Mark Selby and the trophy. Anyone knowing how to clone oneself, please share ...

Robertson: https://soundcloud.com/moniquelimbos/ma ... bertsonrup
Selby: https://soundcloud.com/moniquelimbos/masters13selbywin

Postby Lucky

Well done Selby. Bad luck Skippy. Tournament officially declared glorified exho by our local pretend Aussie.

Postby hendry_fan

Sonny wrote:Don't know how you can be critical of him. He had Bingham 5-1 up playing care free and not missing to suddenly not getting any chances and thinking too much. 6-5 from 5-1 down. But he does it all the time!

Then Williams was awful and nothing can be read into Selby's performance because he wasn't put under any pressure and did what he had to do. Then he had Dotty looking like killing him off when it was 4-1 and 4-2 in the semi but he dug in and exploited a weakness in his opponent (frustration) and won ugly.

Then today he owned Neil Robertson in the Masters final. Great tournament.

I wrote earlier yesterday before the final started,...

,... Selby looked dead and buried in his first round when Bingham went 5-1 up and Bingham had several chances to wrap up the match but just could,nt get over the line.

Although the scoreline against Williams looks a one way track,(6-1),it certainly was,nt,both players were well off song,especially Williams who played some of the worst snooker he,s ever produced in a pro Tourney,especially in a BIGGIE like this Masters!.

Selby once again SHOULD have been thrown out of this years Masters by Dott in the semi-final,trailing 4-1 and once again playin way off his very best,he comes back and wins yet another decider,Dott messing up chances similar to what Bingham did.

All in all though,bottom line is,...one could say,if there opponents can,t take there chances and put them away,then it,s not Robbos and Selbys fault,we still have to give every credit for these 2 not giving up and bein able to turn the match around.

I,ve said it before and i,ll say it again,....Snooker,just like other sports and life in general are,can be fullllll of SHOULDS,COULDS,SHOULD HAVE,COULD HAVE etc,but at the end of the day,a win is a win and it,s not just down to luck,the run of the balls,coincidence if a player keeps gettin far in or even goes on to win many tournaments.

Selby indeed had Robbo on toast in the final,Robbo only maybe scared Selbs a tiny,wee bit when he came back to make it 8-6,apart from that he was in control of the final,you have to admit though,Selbs did have the run of the ball a good few times which obviously made it even more tough for Robbo to comeback,on the other hand Robbo,like Bingham and Dott had more than enough chances throughout the match,Robbo was way off his best but thats the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.

All in all,It,s crazy how Selbs managed to win this tourney,i mean i,ve witnessed far better,far more convincing performances to win a tournament,but credit to him for not giving up.

Thanks to these comebacks he keeps making,his tremendous grit,grinding abilities,he,s getting himself a very good aura,many players are scared,or are gonna get scared of him,(is scared the right word?! :-)) if he keeps it up,a bit like when many were scared of Davis,Hendry,Ronnie,Higgins,Willams in there hey days,he,s obviously miles off of them but you know what i mean.

On a last note for the mom,one thing that i,ve noticed,i,m sure many have noticed who follow snooker or better said follow Selby is that his breakbuilding has gone downhill in the past few tourneys and the reason for that is mainly due to his positional play,he had a good long spell where he was knocking in centuries,Big breaks like they were easy as pie,he,s been struggling with that POSITIONAL part of the game lately thats also why his play looks very negative at times,yes he does play more safety than most other players,(it,s not forbidden) but many times he plays safe cause he runs out of position.

Sometime he,ll get that back on track and when/if he does,boy,he,s gonna be an even more of a handfull for anyone,he,ll start to finish frames in 1,2 visits and won,t need to have to grind so much.

Anyway,one could discuss forever,i,ve said my bit,take care,see you all soon.:-)

Postby Lucky

The 'YOU BEAUTY' outburst will long be remembered as THE most cringeworthy moment in snooker........monumental runt status.

Postby Casey

Well done Selby, was by far the best player in the final. Have to say I was very surprised at Neil's performance though - he was in bad nick even before Selby put him under pressure and couldn't really get it going. You could tell he was gutted at the end.

Selby and Robbo have to be the favourites for the World title surely? The next bracket would maybe be Higgins and Trump.

Postby PLtheRef

Selby simply did the damage in the first session and for that you've got to hand it to him. Probably should have been 6-2 in front instead of 5-3 but he built on the lead he'd got against a very good player to go to 8-3.

Robertson started off badly and never really got back into it, the only time he was within one frame was 1 @ 1-0

It bodes well for the Crucible for Selby, Robertson and Murphy in my view, each of them displaying some consistent form over the last few weeks.

Postby Roland

Robbo and Murphy won't win the Worlds this year. It's between Selby, Trump, Higgins and Allen with Ding and Luca outside bets.

Yes that's right, I said Luca.

Postby Roland

Beats me how some don't think Selby played that well. What do you have to do? Knock in a century every frame? He stopped Robbo from playing in the final, it was nothing to do with Robbo not playing well. He played brilliantly to comeback against Bingham, was always in control against MJW and dug in against Dotty playing really high quality match snooker. And he won the tournament. Not a lot else he could've done. World Number 1.

Postby Lucky

He beat robbo fair and square. Robbo appeared afraid to go for pots at some points, Selby must of got in his head. Not a good thing to let happen.

Postby PLtheRef

Sonny wrote:Beats me how some don't think Selby played that well. What do you have to do? Knock in a century every frame? He stopped Robbo from playing in the final, it was nothing to do with Robbo not playing well. He played brilliantly to comeback against Bingham, was always in control against MJW and dug in against Dotty playing really high quality match snooker. And he won the tournament. Not a lot else he could've done. World Number 1.

Now you mention it

Postby PLtheRef

Lucky wrote:He beat robbo fair and square. Robbo appeared afraid to go for pots at some points, Selby must of got in his head. Not a good thing to let happen.

Like I said on Saturday, this is a little too soon after York for Robertson, you could tell that with the way that he played in the opening six frames. He knows in his heart of hearts that from 4-0 up, even against Selby, he should have gone off and finished off that match, end of story. From 5-1 to 5-3 and 8-3 to 8-6 Robertson did play some solid stuff, but the thing is that Selby played well throughout and considering it's hard enough to keep a lead against him, it's a near impossible task to chase a game against him

Postby daraghj82

robbos defeat by mark in the UK when he was leading 4-0 must have affected, anyway robbo seemed really unsettled throughout all the game and i've never seen him so rattled. fair play to mark, even his b game is so tough to beat and i think him and robbo will be the ones to beat for the wc

Postby Roland

It is significant though in that I feel Selby has the measure of Robbo and Robbo knows it. You've seen other players have the Higgins fear factor which has resulted in him seemingly winning without being at his best because the other player doesn't play as well as they had been until they ran into him. Look at the way Judd lost the Shanghai final. You see it in darts with Taylor (in particular Barney this year) and now you see it with Selby. Once you've been Selbyed you know about it and next time you face him, you will remember the last time. That's why for me if Selby can get a couple of wins over Judd and Allen before April then he will be clear favourite for the Worlds.

Postby Casey

Sonny wrote:Robbo and Murphy won't win the Worlds this year. It's between Selby, Trump, Higgins and Allen with Ding and Luca outside bets.

Murphy no, but why not Robbo? He is as good as the others you mentioned and was the only player to give Ronnie a game last year.

Postby Roland

Casey wrote:
Sonny wrote:Robbo and Murphy won't win the Worlds this year. It's between Selby, Trump, Higgins and Allen with Ding and Luca outside bets.

Murphy no, but why not Robbo? He is as good as the others you mentioned and was the only player to give Ronnie a game last year.

Ok then if someone else takes out Selby then Robbo is in with a shout.

Postby Casey

Sonny wrote:
Casey wrote:

Ok then if someone else takes out Selby then Robbo is in with a shout.

:emu:

I think Trump needs to get back on a winning run before April to stand a chance. I wouldn't fancy him going to the Crucible and playing himself into form. I know he has won a tourny this year and last in a close final to Higgins but I think he was rocked by losing the number 1 spot so quick and was pretty dire in the Masters.
Plenty of events to get that right before the WC though, big 6-8 weeks coming up.

Postby Skullman

This might come back to bite me in bottom in April, but I doubt Luca'll get past the last32. There are enough top16 players who can bash him up at the moment, unless he has another big run to the quarters or beyond in an event beforehand. What are the chances he'll have Walden and King again?

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:Beats me how some don't think Selby played that well. What do you have to do? Knock in a century every frame? He stopped Robbo from playing in the final, it was nothing to do with Robbo not playing well. He played brilliantly to comeback against Bingham, was always in control against MJW and dug in against Dotty playing really high quality match snooker. And he won the tournament. Not a lot else he could've done. World Number 1.

It's just the Anti-Selby brigade.

When he'd only won one ranker, they kept banging on about, despite the fact that they knew winning The Masters was just as prestigious and arguably as difficult as winning a ranker. (I say arguably, because there is at least one less match involved.)

Once he'd won two rankers, they were all complaining that he had never won a major ranker, and this made him an unworthy World Number 1. Then he won the UK.

They really only had the 'Slowby' thing left when it came to criticise him, despite knocking in several fast frames in the final yesterday. It's just people that can't accept that you don't need to play like Ronnie to be a good player.

Postby Skullman

Casey wrote:I think Trump needs to get back on a winning run before April to stand a chance. I wouldn't fancy him going to the Crucible and playing himself into form. I know he has won a tourny this year and last in a close final to Higgins but I think he was rocked by losing the number 1 spot so quick and was pretty dire in the Masters.
Plenty of events to get that right before the WC though, big 6-8 weeks coming up.

He's very much a confidence player. With it he can be scary, without it he plays like he did against Joyce or Dott.

Postby PLtheRef

Sonny wrote:It is significant though in that I feel Selby has the measure of Robbo and Robbo knows it. You've seen other players have the Higgins fear factor which has resulted in him seemingly winning without being at his best because the other player doesn't play as well as they had been until they ran into him. Look at the way Judd lost the Shanghai final. You see it in darts with Taylor (in particular Barney this year) and now you see it with Selby. Once you've been Selbyed you know about it and next time you face him, you will remember the last time. That's why for me if Selby can get a couple of wins over Judd and Allen before April then he will be clear favourite for the Worlds.

I wouldn't say that's necessarily true with Selby though, you look at the players who have beaten him this season since the Crucible loss (which obviously can be excused) First Round exits in Australia, Shanghai and a disappointing showing in the Premier League and it's clear that he is not invincible. Since the Antwerp Open where Allen was simply too good for him in the final, he has built up his form and the UK's and Masters showed that he was back to his best.

The thing with Taylor in the grinding down stakes is that you have Taylor beating players and then beating them with progressively more and more comfort as the years go on. Using the Barney example, most of Taylor and Barney's early Premier League matches were 7-7 or 8-6, and in the majors were close. However since Taylor beat him 7-1 the scores have become progrssively more comfortable

I don't think that Selby has the measure of Robertson yet. That said it would be interesting if he does beat him by the same margin in a match when you'd expect Neil to have this out of his system

Postby GJ

Well done Selby a class player and full desrving of another Major

Robbo will be gutted as for him its all about winning a runner up is means little to him

Postby GJ

Ding a better chance of worlds than robbo

Give your head a shake sonny the lad has no fight in him

no hope

Got a sneaky feeling on allen winning it

Postby GJ

Also yeh selby has the edge on robbo at this stage but i think it was more the pressure of defending the title that got robbo tense in the final so few have done it

To say he isnt a contender for the worlds is madness and ding and brecel having a better chance HA HA

Postby Roland

OK yes of course he's a contender, but I think if he bumps into Selby he'll lose but I can't say that about any other player. I also wouldn't write Ding off, he's more than capable.

Postby PLtheRef

Sonny wrote:He's got his measure Paddy, make no mistake.

He's got the edge on Robertson, but not the measure, otherwise Robertson would never be in any sort of contention whenever they play.

York played a role yesterday. Selby was by far the better player but it was too soon for Robertson in the aftermath of letting slip the 4-0 lead.

Going on what you're suggesting, Anthony Hamilton, Peter Ebdon and Dominic Dale have the measure of Selby then because they've got the same H2H records against Selby that Selby has against Robertson
Last edited by PLtheRef on 21 Jan 2013, edited 1 time in total.

Postby GJ

Robbo will get over this he lost his first 2 mahjor matches with trump and won the 3rd.

I know Selby is a different player bu its relevant in my eyes it shows robbo doesnt do mental scars IMO

I hope for robbo v selby at crucible to see what happens ...........

Robbo tried to hard IMO as he was so determied to successfully defend the title he will learn from this as he has done with past mistakes
Last edited by GJ on 21 Jan 2013, edited 1 time in total.