Post a reply

SangSom 6-red World Championship 2-7 Sep

Postby roy142857

Image Image Image
2nd - 7th of September in Montien Riverside Hotel, Bangkok, Thailand

6 players per group

Group A
Mark Davis (England) (Defending Champion)
Dominic Dale (Wales)
Cao Yupeng (China)
Gary Wilson (England)
Chaouki Yousfi (Morocco)
Issara Kachaiwong (Thailand)

Group B
Mark Selby (England) (Previous Winner)
Andrew Higginson (England)
Kristjan Helgason (Iceland)
Adrian Ridley (Australia)
Ahmad Gelal (Egypt)
Noppon Saengkham (Thailand)

Group C
Neil Robertson (Australia)
Joe Perry (England)
Jimmy White (England) (Previous Winner)
Darren Morgan (Wales)
Amir Sarkhosh (Iran)
Dechawat Poojaeng (Thailand)

Group D
Judd Trump (England)
Robert Milkins (England)
Robert Murphy (Ireland)
Hossein Vafei Ayouri (Iran)
Laxman Rawat (India)
Passakorn Suwannawat (Thailand)

Group E
Shaun Murphy (England)
Mark Williams (Wales)
Robin Hull (Finland)
Vinnie Calabrese (Australia)
Omar Al Kojah (Syria)
Thepchaiya Un-Nooh (Thailand)

Group F
Stephen Maguire (Scotland)
Matthew Stevens (Wales)
Ken Doherty (Ireland)
Alex Borg (Malta)
Muhammad Majid Ali (Pakistan)
Ratchayothin Yotharak (Thailand)

Group G
Stuart Bingham (England)
John Higgins (Scotland)
John Whitty (England)
Mohammad Rais Senzahi (Afghanistan)
Mohammed Al Joaker (United Arab Emirates)
Thanawat Thirapongpaiboon (Thailand)

Group H
Ricky Walden (England) (Previous Winner)
Barry Hawkins (England)
Steve Davis (England)
Muhammad Asif (Pakistan)
Saleh Mohammad (Afghanistan)
James Wattana (Thailand)

Re: SangSom 6-red World Championship 2-7 Sep

Postby Alpha

Anyone know why it's the World 6 reds again this year and not the World Cup? If there are no plans to hold the World Cup in Thailand again maybe ITV4 can revive the Nations Cup instead.

Postby hadi1258

In spite of this tournament isn't ranking competition , I express Mr WILDY appreciation that tell me about the prize of this tournament and importance of this tournament .
Thank you.

Postby bluelagoon

Alpha wrote:Anyone know why it's the World 6 reds again this year and not the World Cup? If there are no plans to hold the World Cup in Thailand again maybe ITV4 can revive the Nations Cup instead.

I'd also prefer the World Cup. But they need a better venue than last time. Why not ask the two highest ranked players of each nation if they wanna participate. If they've got better things to do, they could ask the third, the fourth highest ranked player and so on. Additionally they could ask every IBSF-member-nation, which don't have (enough) players on the maintour, to send two players they choose. Even if the topplayers chose not to enter, there will always be some of them lower down the rankings, which would be proud to represent their nation. So, revive the world Cup please. For me it's more entertaining than 6-Reds or power snooker.

Postby SnookerFan

hadi1258 wrote:In spite of this tournament isn't ranking competition , I express Mr WILDY appreciation that tell me about the prize of this tournament and importance of this tournament .
Thank you.

It's nice to have somebody so polite on this website, aint it? <laugh>

Postby roy142857

Alpha wrote:Anyone know why it's the World 6 reds again this year and not the World Cup? If there are no plans to hold the World Cup in Thailand again maybe ITV4 can revive the Nations Cup instead.

Not sure, but I understood it's what SangSom wanted to sponsor.

It also allowed World Snooker to increase their links with the Continental governing bodies by offering places.They're keen to work together to try to increase the size of field in the World Games which will require more countries having players competing, with the longer term aim of impressing sufficiently that they get snooker and other cue sports in to the Olympics.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Wasn't the World Cup only supposed to be every two years?

Who cares, anyway? It was crap.

i enjoyed the World Cup yes it needed a few tweeks here and there but there should be a tournament a little bit different that requires team work

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:i enjoyed the World Cup yes it needed a few tweeks here and there but there should be a tournament a little bit different that requires team work

Now you mention it, I vaguely remember that I was in a minority of one on that issue. But I really, really hated the World Cup. I think I was the only one on the forum who didn't enjoy it.

But, am I right in saying it wasn't an annual event? I could've sworn it was at least bi-annually?

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wildey wrote:i enjoyed the World Cup yes it needed a few tweeks here and there but there should be a tournament a little bit different that requires team work

Now you mention it, I vaguely remember that I was in a minority of one on that issue. But I really, really hated the World Cup. I think I was the only one on the forum who didn't enjoy it.

But, am I right in saying it wasn't an annual event? I could've sworn it was at least bi-annually?

was suppose to be bi-annually probably it would be better every 4 years.

Postby fridge46

The World Cup was meant to alternate each year with the 6-red... I was really upset when I saw it wasnt on the calendar for this season :'(

I really like the idea, but I saw very little on TV. The only time I saw was like 5-10 mins before leaving the house in the morning and from what I saw, the players were playing very defensive shots or talking to their partner about the next shot. I think that is the problem with the 1 frame wins the point/rubber, whatever you want to call it, players are playing not to lose, not to win. So a few tweeks are needed.

I would like to see a 16 team competition (4 groups of 4 teams, QF, SF, F) and maybe a second tier with a similar format and promotion/relegation, akin to Davis Cup (yes, I know, comparing snooker with tennis again!!!). Each match should be composed as such:

Player 1 v Player 2 - best-of-3
Player 2 v Player 1 - best-of-3
Doubles - best-of-3
Player 1 v Player 2 - best-of-3
Player 2 v Player 2 - best-of-3

10-15 frames in 4-5 hours.... could work (remember the PTC schedule leaves 2 hours for a best-of-7 match).

Postby Skullman

SnookerFan wrote:

I disliked it as well. I'm not entirely sure snooker works well as a team thing.

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

I disliked it as well. I'm not entirely sure snooker works well as a team thing.

i think it works well done right maybe they could play it like a doubles contest a 2 man team but play all the frames as a doubles pairing.

so you get time to settle in. One frame matches and its your time to shine is pressure like no other.

Postby Wildey

its not a gimmick Snooker is the only sport where playing for a country or playing in a team is non existent..

Tennis, Golf Even Pool and Darts has team Events.

But i do understand why Snooker players are notoriously selfish and me me me.

Postby roy142857

I like team events with plenty of doubles play, otherwise it's just a series of short individual encounters. But generally I wouldn't have a problem with both a team competition and six reds each year.

Also (bit of an aside), I like the thought that has to go into doubles when it's alternating shot rather than alternating breaks - players have to think about the next shot being suitable for their partner to play rather than themselves (especially so if left hander and right hander). And alternating shot requires both players playing well, alternating breaks can leave a team riding high simply because one of the players is scoring heavily.

Postby SnookerFan

simplysnooker wrote:Love the idea of a snooker World Cup, but if it is to come back then the format needs changing definitely and a venue with a bit of atmosphere so that it feels like an important event.

Yeah, that was another problem. The venue.

The hall they booked looked awful, and about 8 people bothered to turn up to watch. Every time somebody pulled off a decent pot, nobody bothered to clap. And when a player won a frame, or a team won a match, there wasn't any kind of applause or cheering. It'd barely even got noticed. Two blokes might go; "Yup!" in acknowledgement, but that was about it.
Last edited by SnookerFan on 02 Sep 2013, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Wildey

Group A

no real upsets with Dominic Dale beating Cao Yupeng 5-2

Group B

Wins for Selby, Higginson and Ahmed Galal leaving Selby toping the Group conceding just 1 frame

Group C

Dechawat Poomjaeng Leading the group thanks to a 5-1 win over Jimmy White.

Group D

The missing pro Iran's Hossein Vafaei Ayouri is in this group and he scored a 5-4 win over thailand's Passakorn Suwannawat. but Rob Milkins leads the way after a 5-0 win over Laxman Rawat of India

Group E

No real upsets here as Robin Hull, Thepchaiya Un-Nooh and twice world champion in the real game Mark Williams all had wins.

Group F

Matthew Stevens beats Ken Doherty 5-1 and Lost 5-4 to Stephen Maguire but at this early stage tops the Group.

Group G

After 2 wins John Whitty leads the group but this is the Group that features 4 times World Champion John Higgins

Group H

And Wins for Steve Davis, Barry Hawkins and James Wattana.

Barry Hawkins whitewashed Ricky Walden 5-0.