Post a reply

Re: Snooker Shootout 2014

Postby Blavdes

The old fashioned etiquette is a staple of the game. It would be tragic if shirts were replaced by polo shirts for example with every tournament turned into shootout, beer guzzling, lager lout fest catering for the sky sports news 'feed me entertainment' bull world.

Snooker for me at least represents the last bastion of sanity these days whereby entertainment is created by men in smart suits in a silent atmosphere. In this modern technology world where everything is at a million mph I think snooker will grow in popularity because of its 'old fashioned etiquette'.

I do like an occasional tournament like the shootout because it's different and caters to a different audience but I don't think it should become the norm.

Postby SnookerFan

This may be a minor nit-pick in what you said, so don't take offence. But one thing I've never really cared about is what a player is wearing.

Postby Andre147

Blavdes wrote:The old fashioned etiquette is a staple of the game. It would be tragic if shirts were replaced by polo shirts for example with every tournament turned into shootout, beer guzzling, lager lout fest catering for the sky sports news 'feed me entertainment' bull world.

Snooker for me at least represents the last bastion of sanity these days whereby entertainment is created by men in smart suits in a silent atmosphere. In this modern technology world where everything is at a million mph I think snooker will grow in popularity because of its 'old fashioned etiquette'.

I do like an occasional tournament like the shootout because it's different and caters to a different audience but I don't think it should become the norm.

Good post. Like you said, in a World where everything is done and asked so fast watching players play in smart suits is certainly a rare occasion in sport nowadays and I for one wish the smart suits never disapper in this game. This event is tin-pot no doubt, but it's just 3 days of diferent snooker and for me there's no harm in that as long as like you said there aren't too many of this.

This event though is can still be WAY BETTER than the crappy Power Snooker rofl :wave:

In their main website I think it still says it's coming soon in 2013 <doh> pmsl

Postby Blavdes

SnookerFan wrote:This may be a minor nit-pick in what you said, so don't take offence. But one thing I've never really cared about is what a player is wearing.

No offence taken, it's just our opinions :-)

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Blavdes wrote:
This event though is can still be WAY BETTER than the crappy Power Snooker rofl :wave:

In their main website I think it still says it's coming soon in 2013 <doh> pmsl

Indeed I agree that was the type of tournament I was afraid was going to fill the schedules at one point, but the shootout is a much more legit version of that.
Last edited by Blavdes on 24 Jan 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Muppet147

simplysnooker wrote:Put each way bets on McLeod, Lisowski and Brecel this weekend, game on!

All of them will lose in the next round.

Postby edwards2000

Placing bets on this event is very silly imho. For the laugh, maybe a pound here and there, but serious bets for a first to 1? It's only going to favour the bookie even more than usual.

Postby simplysnooker

Muppet147 wrote:
simplysnooker wrote:Put each way bets on McLeod, Lisowski and Brecel this weekend, game on!

All of them will lose in the next round.

Wish I'd of read your expert opinion before I done it then. Bellennd.

Postby Andre147

So, acording to Andy Goldstein, it's the most exciting snooker event on the calendar rofl

And a Major one too :happy: pmsl rofl

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Who would have thought only a couple of years ago Ronnie wouldn't enter an event like this? Nowadays he's only playing in proper tournaments.

Also a 10 second shot clock is just absurd. It makes the Premier League look like an old grind.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Who would have thought only a couple of years ago Ronnie wouldn't enter an event like this? Nowadays he's only playing in proper tournaments.

Also a 10 second shot clock is just absurd. It makes the Premier League look like an old grind.

Would enter an event like this you should say.

For the lower ranked players though it's a good event because they earn good money.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Goldstein trying to convince the audience Hawkins became a world class players because of the shootout rofl

<doh> rofl rofl

Postby edwards2000

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Who would have thought only a couple of years ago Ronnie wouldn't enter an event like this?

I would. As I said before, true professionals want a proper event with proper money. This is not a proper event. It's a first to 1 joke. That isn't anything to do with the shot clock or audience, it's to do with the frame format and coverage.

Postby Andre147

So is now Lawler fined on conceding the frame while there were still points left on the table for him to win? rofl

Postby Snooker Overdrive

edwards2000 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Who would have thought only a couple of years ago Ronnie wouldn't enter an event like this?

I would. As I said before, true professionals want a proper event with proper money. This is not a proper event. It's a first to 1 joke. That isn't anything to do with the shot clock or audience, it's to do with the frame format and coverage.

Well Ronnie did play in events like Power Snooker.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
edwards2000 wrote:

And in the first edition of this event when he reached the semis to lose to the Milkman, one of the few frames Rob has won against Ronnie. rofl
Last edited by Andre147 on 24 Jan 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby kolompar

the shoot out is one of my favourite events, good fun
thought it starts just now, so missed the first few matches
I see Gouldy and Selby lost, shame
how was Selby? was he playing safety shots all the time? :-D

Postby PLtheRef

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
edwards2000 wrote:

He also received an appearance fee to take part in that as well as his prize money,

I think the Shootout is good fun, its a chance to have fun and also win £32,000. Its not normal snooker and even as someone who enjoys it, knows its never going to threaten the status of the game.

Postby Andre147

PLtheRef wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
edwards2000 wrote:

He also received an appearance fee to take part in that as well as his prize money,

I think the Shootout is good fun, its a chance to have fun and also win £32,000. Its not normal snooker and even as someone who enjoys it, knows its never going to threaten the status of the game.

Fully agree, just 3 days of diferent snooker and good fun, plus as I said earlier for the lower ranked players especially it's a massive opportunity to earn some good money.

Postby Lucky

WTF is going on here.......the all Stoke battle is a shambles lol.