Post a reply

Dafabet to Sponsor The World Championship

Postby Wildey

World Snooker is a delighted to announce that the sport's biggest tournament, the World Championship, will be sponsored by Dafabet for the first time this season.

The Dafabet World Championship will run from April 19 to May 5 at the Crucible Theatre in Sheffield. The top 16 seeds plus 16 qualifiers will be competing for one of the most famous trophies in sport, as well as a record top prize of £300,000.

The 17-day tournament will be televised in over 70 countries worldwide to a global audience of over 300 million.

Ronnie O'Sullivan will be defending the title he won for a fifth time last year, with the likes world number one Neil Robertson, Chinese ace Ding Junhui, Judd Trump, Mark Selby and Shaun Murphy among the other leading contenders for the prestigious crown.

World Snooker Chairman Barry Hearn said: "We are thrilled to bring Dafabet on board for our Blue Riband tournament. This is truly one of the great events on the sporting calendar and there are hundreds of millions of fans across the planet eagerly awaiting the moment when the defending champion steps out on the first morning.

More Here

Re: Dafabet to Sponsor The World Championship

Postby SnookerFan

Just saw about this. I didn't realise they were based in The Philippines. (No reason that I would, I don't gamble often.)

I wonder if that means there'll be no gambling booth at The Crucible. That'll snake hiss a few people off.

At The Masters there was just some guy with a whiteboard with a few odds written on them. He was literally sat on a plastic chair waiting for people to walk up to him and make a bet. <laugh>

Postby Andre147

Yet another betting sponsor :zzz: Yeah BIG NEWS :wave:

Of course way better than having no sponsor, especially in a tourney such as the Worlds.

Postby Lucky

Cloud Strife wrote:Is this one year only deal?

If so, I predict next years event will be sponsored by my local pie and mash shop.

Why do they take bets too.

Postby Cloud Strife

Lucky wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:Is this one year only deal?

If so, I predict next years event will be sponsored by my local pie and mash shop.

Why do they take bets too.

No, you make a good point.

I don't suppose Barry Hearn would give anyone a second look unless they're a bookie. Shame.

Postby Wildey

Do you think Barry Hearn doesent try to get sponsors? do you think he wants nothing but bookies?

are you naive?

its a competitive business trying to get sponsors...the biggest advantage Snooker has is Barry Hearn because he gets stop gap sponsors and if he cant get the sponsors then nobody can.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:Do you think Barry Hearn doesent try to get sponsors? do you think he wants nothing but bookies?

are you naive?

its a competitive business trying to get sponsors...the biggest advantage Snooker has is Barry Hearn because he gets stop gap sponsors and if he cant get the sponsors then nobody can.

Also what you've got to remember is how bad it was a few years back. We were struggling for sponsors for a while. The were times where events like the Masters didn't have any at all.

I agree an over reliance on one industry isn't neccessarily a good thing. It went a bit Pete Tong after we lost all the tobacco sponsorship. But having sponsors for every event, even if they're all from the same industry, is better than some events having none.

And you could argue that Betting Companies are at least closely connected to sports. Unlike Royal London Watches or Saga Insurance. <laugh>

Postby Wildey

Snooker's Biggest Mistake was When Snooker was as Big as Football in this country. nothing new having every national newspaper having front page story about snooker Good and Bad in the 80s and im sure sponsors was cuing up to sponsor events But the decided to stay with Embassy, Rothmans, Benson and hedges etc instead of thinking ahead, snooker administration has been self indulgent over the years with players running the game without much business sense.

Had the decision been made in the mid 80s of ditching Embassy for the World Championship we wouldn't be having this conversation today.

Theres a big problem getting Sponsors in to Snooker in Britain these days.

Postby Roland

The biggest problem is the perception abroad where gambling advertising is banned because all of the tournaments in the UK have these sponsors so it doesn't help to bring in the blue chip sponsors who do all the golf tournaments and things like that.

In an ideal world we'd have the Fed Ex World Open, Volvo Masters, Fosters Australian Open, Santander German Masters etc etc. but it's a long way off at the moment.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:The biggest problem is the perception abroad where gambling advertising is banned because all of the tournaments in the UK have these sponsors so it doesn't help to bring in the blue chip sponsors who do all the golf tournaments and things like that.

In an ideal world we'd have the Fed Ex World Open, Volvo Masters, Fosters Australian Open, Santander German Masters etc etc. but it's a long way off at the moment.

Agree But the only people sponsoring events in the UK on mass is Betting Firms.

Would it be Better having no sponsors for say a 3 to 5 year Period waiting for overseas sponsors to get involved when the perception has changed.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:It is what it is. These are better than no sponsors, but I'm not a fan of bookies.

neither am i

Postby Roland

Wildey wrote:
Sonny wrote:It is what it is. These are better than no sponsors, but I'm not a fan of bookies.

neither am i

me too

Postby Andy Spark

First they stop smoking adverts, then they stop indoor smoking, they'll stop you drinking next, they're working on stopping all fun! :mood: The problem with lack of decent sponsors is with the British governments being too bossy, telling us to do this, do that, don't put that cat into the cement mixer, blah, blah...Basically they want us to all die at 127 years old having lived a boring, monastic existence for the last 125 years. Personally, I'd rather die a bright yellow alcoholic at 45.

Postby Andy Spark

SnookerFan wrote:Though I agree with Andy, I would like to say that putting the cat in a cement mixer probably isn't a good idea.

hmm...I suppose you're right SF. To be honest a bit late news for my cat (a bit squashed :| ) . But I'm happy with the new knowledge, I love new knowledge. :party:

Postby The Cueist

Not a fan of bookies myself , That said , Dafabet must see the potential avter sponsoring the masters this year.

Personally I would like to see snooker associated
With a sponsor a bit more respectable for a decent amount of time that would bring more identity to the yearly 17 day spectacle .

You know like when it was the embassy for 30 odd years or so.

Stiil as you all say, Better than no sponsor st all.

Postby AC or LT?

The real problem here is that were still in a downturn and only three industries continue to do well in a dowturn alcohol, gambling and games/sports i.e the recreational industry. And unfortunately we're unlikely to get the Sony Masters, Microsoft World Cup and Nintendo UK Championship any time soon so gambling is the only avenue, the problem is we could end up in a rut where others won't touch us until we clear out the bookies as sponsors.