Topic locked

Re: Dafabet World Championship (Sat April 19th) Last 32 !!

Postby Cloud Strife

Muppet147 wrote:O'Sullivan looked pretty sharp today against an opponent who looked good when in the balls.

He will get better as the tournament goes on and will win his sixth title.<ok>

Ronnie's nailed on, as far I'm concerned. Give him the winner's cheque now.

If I was Hearn I'd consider organising a plate competition for the other 31 players. <ok>

Postby TheRocket

kolompar wrote:
masterdoctorgenius wrote:One direction in da house hahahaha

World snooker tweeted that boy has 16 million followers on twitter

World Snooker has 41744
:shrug:

Well, most of them probably 13 or 14 year old girls so the numbers don't surprise me.

Postby Cannonball

TheRocket wrote:
GJ wrote:The pockets seem abit generous

Yeah, noticed that as well today. A lot of balls went in which probably wouldn't on some other tables.
The pockets at the UK at example seemed to be tighter I think.

Star template is different for the Worlds. I know a fitter, can't mention his name but he's worked on the tables at the Crucible. It's meant to be a show and if having a generous cut produces one, so be it...

Postby Harrison101

Holden Chinaski wrote:What's with these young players and their flashy shoes? Don't know who has the ugliest pair, Xiao, Judd or Luca?

Also, am I the only one who loves those Silver shoes?

:shrug:

...I'll get my coat.

Postby Cloud Strife

Cannonball wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

Yeah, noticed that as well today. A lot of balls went in which probably wouldn't on some other tables.

Star template is different for the Worlds. I know a fitter, can't mention his name but he's worked on the tables at the Crucible. It's meant to be a show and if having a generous cut produces one, so be it...

Pathetic if that's true.

Postby SlowJoe

AC or LT? wrote:Can any of the stats-mad knowitalls on here help me out with these questions?

How many matches have been pulled off for overrunning at the crucible?

What are the longest session and longest match at the crucible?

The longest single session was between Thorburn and Griffiths in 1983. It was the final session of a second round match. It did not start to 8.55pm and finished at 3.51am, recorded as a total of 6 hours 25 minutes.
The second longest session at 6 hours 11 minutes also included Thorburn.

The longest 35 frames match was the 1985 final between Davis and Taylor at 890 minutes

The longest 25 frames match was a 2nd round encounter between Griffiths and Taylor in 1993 with a time of 799 minutes 40 seconds.

The longest 19 frame match was between Thorburn and Charlton at 624 minutes.

Funny how the same names keep coming up!

Postby AC or LT?

Cannonball wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

If this is true then it's ridiculous.

It's meant to be the toughest test in snooker not a bucketfest.

Postby Cannonball

kolompar wrote:arent the pockets always bigger at the BBC tourneys? :roll:
probably thats why World Snooker keeps the pocket templates secret
the IBSF templates however can be bought from Shender

Good point. Last year (WC 2013), balls were contacting the rail six inches away (allbeit at very slender angles) from the pocket and going in off the far knuckle. You couldn't do that at Gloucester or the Academy, they definitely wouldn't drop and these venues use 'true' Star templates. Alex Higgins was famous for complaining that the pockets had been opened to maximise centuries and maxis and he was right. Alex was a stickler for details like that. An ISBF table is far more 'honest'. At the end of the day, the players will practice to the 'true' Star template and become more accurate than necessary for each shot. But open pockets definitely help the less accurate and those that like to get on the power but can't help but nudge a knuckle occasionally. When the commentators say, that's incredible that he was able to screw that ball into the middle pocket, that is so tight on these WC tables, they are basically lying. They know full well the tables are generous and they go along with the lie, to try and impress the audience with some added wow factor creamed on top. They're there to build audience so they add to the baloney. The BBC cheese factor is very high.

Postby Cannonball

TheRocket wrote:Carter Xiao definitely a contender for the first decider match.

What's with the dyed red hair, is he trying to outspace the Spaceman?

Postby Roland

Good first day. Really really pleased to see Jamie Cope back at the Crucible and playing well.

Tonight was very amusing watching the body language of Ali Carter. He's such a grumpy sod!

Postby TheRocket

Cannonball wrote:

Maybe but there is only one Spaceman. And btw, speaking of the Spaceman. I'm happy for him that he doesn't play against Judd Trump this time. Dominic's got the best opponent he could.

Postby TheRocket

Cannonball wrote:

Maybe but there is only one Spaceman. And btw, speaking of the Spaceman. I'm happy for him that he doesn't play against Judd Trump this time. Dominic's got the best opponent he could.