Topic locked

Dafabet World Championship (Mon April 21st) Last 32 !!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Saturday 19th of April~Monday 5th of May at The Crucible Theatre, Sheffield

Today Mark Selby, John Higgins will be starting out and Kyren Wilson will be making his Debut.

John Higgins is playing his good friend and practice partner Alan McManus. On Debut at the Crucible in 1995 John Higgins met McManus as Winner of 3 World Ranking events that season and Runner up in the Masters and Welsh Open so he was on a crest of a Wave but Alan McManus beat him 10-3 they meet this season 19 years on and John Higgins is nowhere near the player he was then so can McManus repeat that win?

And Ding Junhui will be looking to book his last 16 spot holding a 6-3 lead over Michael Wasley

DRAW

ORDER OF PLAY

Monday 21st of April

10am

**Joe Perry 3-6 Jamie Burnett Perry leads 3-1
Mark Selby v Michael White Selby leads 1-0

2.30pm

**Ding Junhui 6-3 Michael Wasley Ding Junhui leads 1-0
John Higgins v Alan McManus Higgins leads 12-7

7pm

Ricky Walden v Kyren Wilson Never Played Before
**Mark Selby v Michael White Selby leads 1-0

** Denotes Final Session of a Match

Re: Dafabet World Championship (Mon April 21st) Last 32 !!

Postby AC or LT?

Really looking forward to Selby v White. White is one of the most underrated players around and could actually give Selby a run for his money if he turns up. Being a Selby fan that's my morning and evening sorted out so attention then turns to the afternoon tough choice but Higgins and McManus are both past there best and that'll probably be reminscent of Dott and Ebdon's meeting at the last world championship (two old blokes in your local club who forgot their specs standard).

Postby Andre147

AC or LT? wrote:Really looking forward to Selby v White. White is one of the most underrated players around and could actually give Selby a run for his money if he turns up. Being a Selby fan that's my morning and evening sorted out so attention then turns to the afternoon tough choice but Higgins and McManus are both past there best and that'll probably be reminscent of Dott and Ebdon's meeting at the last world championship (two old blokes in your local club who forgot their specs standard).

Why you think White is underrated? He is considered an amazing talent by many and a future ranking winner.

Postby AC or LT?

Andre147 PGC wrote:
AC or LT? wrote:Really looking forward to Selby v White. White is one of the most underrated players around and could actually give Selby a run for his money if he turns up. Being a Selby fan that's my morning and evening sorted out so attention then turns to the afternoon tough choice but Higgins and McManus are both past there best and that'll probably be reminscent of Dott and Ebdon's meeting at the last world championship (two old blokes in your local club who forgot their specs standard).

Why you think White is underrated? He is considered an amazing talent by many and a future ranking winner.

He just doesn't get the same exposure Judd and Robertson got when he's got as much if not more potential than those two, if we're looking for Ronnie's successor so to speak (and it's with a mass of gritted teeth I use that phrase but it's as close as I'm going to get to what I'm trying to express) it's going to be one of White, Brecel, Lisowski, Wilson etc, Trump and Robertson are still young enough to be plausible.

I suppose people will only take White really seriously if he matches or goes beyond his performance last year, it's a massive credit to the lad to be he this year when so many of last years supposed new stars of snooker that were hyped up haven't made it.

Postby Cannonball

Yes, if you're attending, please don't forget your blow up pillows. Those with denture problems should definitely attend, there will be two dentists at the table ready to pull teeth.

Postby Cannonball

Walden v. Wilson has the potential for some excitement. An unknown match-up. There's a chance of some snooker breaking out if you know what I mean.

Postby Andre147

Cannonball wrote:Walden v. Wilson has the potential for some excitement. An unknown match-up. There's a chance of some snooker breaking out if you know what I mean.

No I don't know what you mean, please explain <laugh> :chin:

Postby Paddpotter

Looking forward to seeing how Wilson does as he seems to be someone who will thrive on the big stage and not let the occasion or reputations get to him.

Enjoyed things so far and snooker is far more enjoyable as a longer format. In today's world everything has to be quicker and faster because people are growing up with shorter and shorter attention spans. Hope they don't mess with this in the future but I don't hold much hope.

Postby Cannonball

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Cannonball wrote:Walden v. Wilson has the potential for some excitement. An unknown match-up. There's a chance of some snooker breaking out if you know what I mean.

:snooker: :snooker: :snooker:

:chuckle:

Postby Andre147

Cannonball wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:

:snooker: :snooker: :snooker:

:chuckle:

Oh now I get it rofl

Postby Andre147

Paddpotter wrote:Looking forward to seeing how Wilson does as he seems to be someone who will thrive on the big stage and not let the occasion or reputations get to him.

Enjoyed things so far and snooker is far more enjoyable as a longer format. In today's world everything has to be quicker and faster because people are growing up with shorter and shorter attention spans. Hope they don't mess with this in the future but I don't hold much hope.

Me neither, but I don't think they will mess with the amount of frames format for next year, will be something along the lines of flat 128 draw or something like that.

Postby Andre147

Sonny wrote:Kyren won't be one of these debutants who can't handle it first time. Can't wait to see him play.

I know you have faith in him, but I'll just wait and see.

I too hope though he wins this match but Walden despite his poor season won't make it easy for him.

Postby WoodK67

Jamie Burnett has been a solid competitor for a number of years. Surprised some thought he would be a walkover for all of the seeds. Perry might have enjoyed the best season of his career but he never has been and never will never be consistent enough to be a very top player. Of course Perry was favourite but Burnett is a decent break builder when he gets going and has a solid safety game. Always fancied him for the upset and if he keeps it tight and avoids making too many errors tomorrow I fancy him to earn his first Crucible victory.

Postby Paddpotter

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Paddpotter wrote:Looking forward to seeing how Wilson does as he seems to be someone who will thrive on the big stage and not let the occasion or reputations get to him.

Me neither, but I don't think they will mess with the amount of frames format for next year, will be something along the lines of flat 128 draw or something like that.

I hope you're right but Barry will lean towards the majority eventually who will want a shorter format with a shot clock timer. It's inevitable even for the worlds but I hope it doesn't happen until I'm six feet under

Postby Andre147

WoodK67 wrote:Jamie Burnett has been a solid competitor for a number of years. Surprised some thought he would be a walkover for all of the seeds. Perry might have enjoyed the best season of his career but he never has been and never will never be consistent enough to be a very top player. Of course Perry was favourite but Burnett is a decent break builder when he gets going and has a solid safety game. Always fancied him for the upset and if he keeps it tight and avoids making too many errors tomorrow I fancy him to earn his first Crucible victory.

And earn his dream match agaisnt Ronnie, if you read his recent comments about Ronnie you know what I'm talking about <laugh>

Postby Paddpotter

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Sonny wrote:Kyren won't be one of these debutants who can't handle it first time. Can't wait to see him play.

I know you have faith in him, but I'll just wait and see.

I too hope though he wins this match but Walden despite his poor season won't make it easy for him.

I still think Walden will win but it won't be easy for him. I loved how Wilson wanted O'Sullivan straight away and that's the attitude you should have.

Postby Roland

Yeah of course I have faith in Kyren. I also witnessed Ricky against Luca in York and Hawkins last year. You've seen Bingham today. The seeds feel the heat in round 1 and Kyren is hungry. If he can pressure Walden then he will win.

Postby Cannonball

Andre147 PGC wrote:
WoodK67 wrote:Jamie Burnett has been a solid competitor for a number of years. Surprised some thought he would be a walkover for all of the seeds. Perry might have enjoyed the best season of his career but he never has been and never will never be consistent enough to be a very top player. Of course Perry was favourite but Burnett is a decent break builder when he gets going and has a solid safety game. Always fancied him for the upset and if he keeps it tight and avoids making too many errors tomorrow I fancy him to earn his first Crucible victory.

And earn his dream match agaisnt Ronnie, if you read his recent comments about Ronnie you know what I'm talking about <laugh>

I have no idea what you're talking about, please explain. :chin:

Postby Paddpotter

Sonny wrote:Yeah of course I have faith in Kyren. I also witnessed Ricky against Luca in York and Hawkins last year. You've seen Bingham today. The seeds feel the heat in round 1 and Kyren is hungry. If he can pressure Walden then he will win.

I'd love it if he did but I'm backing Walden and his experience.

Postby AC or LT?

Paddpotter wrote:
Sonny wrote:Yeah of course I have faith in Kyren. I also witnessed Ricky against Luca in York and Hawkins last year. You've seen Bingham today. The seeds feel the heat in round 1 and Kyren is hungry. If he can pressure Walden then he will win.

http://www.inside-snooker.com/snooker/2 ... unbeatable

Postby Paddpotter

AC or LT? wrote:
Paddpotter wrote:

Absolute joke. Why is he even playing the game if he is analysing potential future opponents and basically saying he has no chance? Then you have Wilson who is hungry and saying bring on anybody. One is a winner.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Paddpotter wrote:
AC or LT? wrote:
Paddpotter wrote:

Absolute joke. Why is he even playing the game if he is analysing potential future opponents and basically saying he has no chance? Then you have Wilson who is hungry and saying bring on anybody. One is a winner.

Let me guess, the right answer is Burnett?

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:

Unfortunately I won't see much of him in his first session, Selby and White are playing to a conclusion at the same time.

I too will pay more attention to the conclusion of Selby match as I think could be a cracker, but will wanna keep an eye and see how well Kyren copes with this all.

I think he'll do well, he's not the sort of player to fall apart at the sight of the Crucible.

Postby Paddpotter

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Paddpotter wrote:
AC or LT? wrote:
Paddpotter wrote:

Let me guess, the right answer is Burnett?

LOL yeah a winner at knowing his place. Look at Liverpool and the mentality Rodgers has instilled in his squad. People thought they would be doing amazing just to get top 4 but he has got them thinking about what they can do rather than what their rivals can. No coincidence that peters is working with them. Hendry and davis never looked at who they were facing they just went out there with the attitude of what they could do and it would be better than anybody else. If I was coaching any young player the first thing I would teach is reputations mean nothing. Don't be beaten before you even pot a ball

Postby Paddpotter

Andre147 PGC wrote:Well I'm off to bed, don't want to miss the start of morning session and on paper what has the potencial to be a cracker in Selby v White.

What has happened to Selby though? I predicted he would be a world champion 10 years ago but he just seems to have lost something? Belief?

Postby Andre147

Paddpotter wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:Well I'm off to bed, don't want to miss the start of morning session and on paper what has the potencial to be a cracker in Selby v White.

What has happened to Selby though? I predicted he would be a world champion 10 years ago but he just seems to have lost something? Belief?

10 years ago? well that was something <laugh>

He's lost his breakbuilding game, and in particular his cue ball control, he runs out of position often these days and against top players he isn't winning frames in one visit, plus he tends to spend too much mental energy on matches and when he reaches the latter stages of events he is often drained.

In a long marathon such as this he may win 1 or 2 matches playing grinding stuff, but that won't be eeven close to see him lift the World Title, unless he improves his breakbuilding game, because safety is always top notch, he won't be World Champ and he's kinda running out of time to do it so...