Topic locked

Re: Dafabet World Championship (Tue April 22nd) Last 32 !!

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:Allen's turn to steal a frame, on the pink this time, to level again.

4-4.

That's 3 frames on the spin that have finished on the last colours isn't it... the previous 2 won by Holty, now Allen manages to steal that one.

Postby vodkadiet

Skullman wrote:Allen takes a slim 5-4 lead over Holt. Wasn't expecting it to be that close.

A nice way of fitting the word 'slim' in to a sentence featuring Allen.

I am convinced his weight will stop him winning this title.

Postby Cannonball

mantorok wrote:
Wildey wrote:
mantorok wrote:Just like most sports it's all about the players, the characters, changing the game won't do jack if people don't bond with the players. I think to be fair to the BBC they do try to focus on the players and get up and personal and try to build excitement around the encounters, but with snooker you can only do so much before a match starts dragging and people lose interest.

This is where Eurosport falls completely flat, just showing live matches isn't enough to boost popularity.

Matches dragging is where interest is created in snooker.

the sheer popularity of snooker in the 80s was built around matches dragging.

Nothing to do with there being many, many more characters in the game? Higgins, Davis, White to name a few were major household names, the were legends who impacted in a major way.

Dragging matches were popular because everyone was backing the players, it was nothing to do with enjoyment of watching a 6-10 hour marathon and if you actually believe that then I would class that opinion as purely subjective.

Spot on, no-one in my snooker club back then liked boring slugfests or folk like Thorburn and Griffiths and Rex Williams. It was all about Davis, White with some Stevens and Knowles thrown in. The only reason for Taylor being celebrated was the temporary cessation of Steve's monopoly. Characters helped make the game then but folk certainly supported the quality players in overwhelming numbers.

Folk worldwide love the improving standards, though they haven't been on show much yet this week.

Postby Cannonball

vodkadiet wrote:
Skullman wrote:Allen takes a slim 5-4 lead over Holt. Wasn't expecting it to be that close.

You are convinced of many things, like most people in asylums. :fishslap:

Postby Andre147

Cannonball wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:

<laugh> :spot on: <ok>

Postby vodkadiet

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Cannonball wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:

<laugh> :spot on: <ok>

You 2 should just get a hotel room and lose your virginity to each other. :-D

Postby Wildey

mantorok wrote:
Wildey wrote:
mantorok wrote:Just like most sports it's all about the players, the characters, changing the game won't do jack if people don't bond with the players. I think to be fair to the BBC they do try to focus on the players and get up and personal and try to build excitement around the encounters, but with snooker you can only do so much before a match starts dragging and people lose interest.

This is where Eurosport falls completely flat, just showing live matches isn't enough to boost popularity.

Nothing to do with there being many, many more characters in the game? Higgins, Davis, White to name a few were major household names, the were legends who impacted in a major way.

Dragging matches were popular because everyone was backing the players, it was nothing to do with enjoyment of watching a 6-10 hour marathon and if you actually believe that then I would class that opinion as purely subjective.

Davis was not a character he was the blueprint of a Robotic Snooker player many are looking at things through rose tinted glasses....

i fell in love with snooker back in the 80s because of Alex Higgins but i absolutely love grind fests and find them more compelling than perfect snooker

Postby Andy Spark

The dregs of the Wilson/Walden match...they really should learn to take maximum care with each shot, disappointing! With maximum care it's easy to judge everything to the nearest hundredth of a millimeter. :no:

Postby Cannonball

Wildey wrote:
mantorok wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Davis was not a character he was the blueprint of a Robotic Snooker player many are looking at things through rose tinted glasses....

i fell in love with snooker back in the 80s because of Alex Higgins but i absolutely love grind fests and find them more compelling than perfect snooker

I can watch a higher standard on the county circuit. This is meant to be the pinnacle. Long matches or short, the quality should be there, so it's a disappointment so far.