Topic locked

Re: Dafabet World Championship (Thurs April 24th) Last 32 &

Postby Cannonball

Cloud Strife wrote:
Wildey wrote:Theres been talk of the tables being easy but centuries not flowing this year with 16 made so far

Day 1=4
Day 2=2
Day 3=4
Day 4=3
Day 5=3

The lack of centuries is very telling.

The tables are slightly easier, but the standard of play has plummeted, generally speaking.

The tables were snake hiss easy two years ago, the year Hendry made his last maxi. They're a bit tighter this year, but not to the same tolerance level of SWSA and the Academy. Fact. Wildey, what was the century count at the same time in the tourney two years ago mate?

Postby Cannonball

SnookerFan wrote:
Cannonball wrote: Ladies and Gentlemen, it's the Rocket, Ronnie O'Sullivan!

:pompom:

What is? :|

I'm just warming up the MC for later. 4.5 days without snooker at the Worlds, it's felt like an eternity. Hang on...

Postby Wildey

Cannonball wrote: Wildey, what was the century count at the same time in the tourney two years ago mate?

After Round 1

2014 at the moment = 16 in 255 frames
2013 =13 in 243 frames
2012=26 in 245 frames
2011=23 in 250 frames
2010=19 in 251 frames
2009=27 in 250 frames
2008=28 in 257 frames
2007=19 in 251 frames

Postby Andy Spark

More evidence of the poor standard these last two years and more evidence that Barry Hearn doesn't know what he's talking about. Remember he's the one that said that with his changes to snooker the standard would "shoot through the roof". It's not like the pockets are tight this year, they are generously sized.

Postby Wildey

Andy Spark wrote:More evidence of the poor standard these last two years and more evidence that Barry Hearn doesn't know what he's talking about. Remember he's the one that said that with his changes to snooker the standard would "shoot through the roof". It's not like the pockets are tight this year, they are generously sized.

Barry Hearn cant pot balls for the players its up to them to step it up and if they are found wanting its their fault.

Postby Cannonball

Wildey wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:More evidence of the poor standard these last two years and more evidence that Barry Hearn doesn't know what he's talking about. Remember he's the one that said that with his changes to snooker the standard would "shoot through the roof". It's not like the pockets are tight this year, they are generously sized.

Barry Hearn cant pot balls for the players its up to them to step it up and if they are found wanting its their fault.

You're both right.

Postby Andy Spark

Cannonball wrote:
Wildey wrote:

You're both right.

In some ways, I'm not complaining as it's helped Ronnie win back to back world titles. :-)

Postby Cannonball

Andy Spark wrote:
Cannonball wrote:
Wildey wrote:

You're both right.

In some ways, I'm not complaining as it's helped Ronnie win back to back world titles. :-)

Mate, don't give the knockers ammo, you know what they're like! rofl

Postby Cannonball

SnookerFan wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen, it's the Rocket, Ronnie O'Sullivan! :D

C'mon Snookerfan, do it properly:

Ladies and Gentlemen, it's the Rocket, Ronnie O'Sullivan!

:pompom:

ROCKET!

:mex:

ROCKET!

:bex:

ROCKET!

Postby Cannonball

mantorok wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Is Ronnie playing today? :gag:

Today is a good day, Spaceman and Ronnie playing.

SPACEMAN!

I love Dom, love his commentary too and of course I love the

ROCKET!

I mean

ROCKET!
Last edited by Cannonball on 24 Apr 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby mantorok

SnookerFan wrote:Ronnie vs Perry isn't even that exciting a match.

Perry isn't going to win this match. It's going to be one-sided.

Things aren't going to heat up until at least the quarters for Ronnie, and I think Ronnie is right a lot of top players are playing too much and not preparing properly for the WC.

Postby Cannonball

mantorok wrote:

Things aren't going to heat up until at least the quarters for Ronnie, and I think Ronnie is right a lot of top players are playing too much and not preparing properly for the WC.

I see a tough match in Perry, unlike a lot of folk. I don't blame the players for going to China, it's going to become the 2nd biggest event on the calendar as the game continues to grow over there. But Ronnie is wise to put in 4-6 weeks of practice for the Worlds.

Postby Wildey

mantorok wrote:

People prepare differently whats right for Ronnie isnt right for others ...personally i think there's plenty of time to relax and prepare for the WC after China its too easy to blame traveling if players play badly, 5 or 6 years ago it was im a part time player so im not match sharp was the excuse.

there's always excuses

Postby mantorok

Wildey wrote:
mantorok wrote:

People prepare differently whats right for Ronnie isnt right for others ...personally i think there's plenty of time to relax and prepare for the WC after China its too easy to blame traveling if players play badly, 5 or 6 years ago it was im a part time player so im not match sharp was the excuse.

there's always excuses

I don't think it is an excuse, snooker has never had so many events in the calendar, particularly all around the world. Snooker is a very mentally challenging game and is surely going to take it's toll eventually.

We are just now starting to see the effect it's having on the big one.

Postby mantorok

Cannonball wrote:
mantorok wrote:

I see a tough match in Perry, unlike a lot of folk. I don't blame the players for going to China, it's going to become the 2nd biggest event on the calendar as the game continues to grow over there. But Ronnie is wise to put in 4-6 weeks of practice for the Worlds.

You can't be serious, given the choice of being the winner of the China Open or the World Championship, hmmmm let me think...

Postby Cannonball

mantorok wrote:
Cannonball wrote:
mantorok wrote:

You can't be serious, given the choice of being the winner of the China Open or the World Championship, hmmmm let me think...

I didn't mention any 'choice' and I did say '2nd biggest event'. I also said Ronnie is wise to put in 4-6 weeks practice, which implies that I believe missing China is the right thing for him. So obviously, I'd choose the Worlds over the China Open. Ronnie is waning by his own admission and he can't keep up with the schedule. I have no doubt that if he was 18, he'd cope no bother and win 7-8 tournaments in a year and attend almost every one. But he's 39 and the bones and joints must feel it after 30 years of playing.

The younger players are suffering because they simply don't have the same talent as a Ronnie or Hendry or Williams or Higgins to fall back on when they feel burnt out. It's up to the players to choose wisely. If you know you've not got much chance at the Worlds, do you go to China, anticipating a good run and prize money (and ranking points off that money), then attend the Worlds, especially if you know folk like Ronnie aren't going?
Last edited by Cannonball on 24 Apr 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Wildey

mantorok wrote:
Wildey wrote:
mantorok wrote:

there's always excuses

I don't think it is an excuse, snooker has never had so many events in the calendar, particularly all around the world. Snooker is a very mentally challenging game and is surely going to take it's toll eventually.

We are just now starting to see the effect it's having on the big one.

Selby started the season losing 5-3 to Andrew Pagett was he tired then?

its too easy to blame tournaments and if you cant get up to the Worlds then there's something wrong with the player not the Tour