Topic locked

Dafabet World Championship (Friday April 25th) Last 16 !!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Saturday 19th of April~Monday 5th of May at The Crucible Theatre, Sheffield

The Last 16 gets in to full swing today with a repeat of the Semi Final of 12 months ago as Barry Hawkins takes on Ricky Walden and the Battle of the veterans Ken Doherty the 1997 World Champion playing Alan McManus who made the Semi Finals in 1992 and 1993.

And the other two matches well placed with Mark Selby letting slip a 5-1 lead as Ali Carter closed the session out with the final 2 frames making it 5-3 over night and Ronnie O'Sullivan finding his breakbuilding to close the first session 5-3 behind.

With only the Selby v Carter match played to a finish today but can Joe Perry move a step closer in sending the champion packing?

DRAW

ORDER OF PLAY

Friday 25th of April

10am

Barry Hawkins v Ricky Walden Walden leads 8-7
Mark Selby 5-3 Ali Carter Selby leads 16-9

2.30pm

Ronnie O'Sullivan 3-5 Joe Perry O'Sullivan leads 10-2
Alan McManus v Ken Doherty McManus leads 16-8

7pm

Barry Hawkins v Ricky Walden Walden leads 8-7
**Mark Selby 5-3 Ali Carter Selby leads 16-9

** Denotes Final Session of a Match

Re: Dafabet World Championship (Friday April 25th) Last 16 !

Postby Skullman

Results are in. From beginning of modern era (1969)

John Spencer, (Reardon 1970, 1977)
Dennis Taylor (Reardon 1979, S. Davis 1985)
Stephen Hendry (O'Sullivan 2002, J. Higgins 2012)
Ebdon (O'Sullivan 2005, Murphy 2006)
Davis (Griffiths 1980, Thorburn 1981, A. Higgins 1983, Johnson 1987, J. Higgins 2010)

Take a bow, Steve :bowdown:

Postby Andre147

Perry cracks under pressure, so his best chance will be as Skull said get 3 or more frames ahead of Ronnie.

He had a golden chance to beat Ronnie in that 2009 Masters and was only a pink ball away from doing and he still couldnt do it, Ronnie duly won 6-5.

Ronnie will start well tomorrow I think, and Perry wont play any better than he did in the first session. If Ronnie wins the 2nd 5-3 it will be 8 all. 6-2 would be a bonus really.

Postby TheRocket

But Ronnie surely needs a good start tomorrow. If he starts tomorrow like he did today, Perry will gain confidence out of it. Ronnie's got to intimidate him, preferably equalling the match very quickly like he did against Robertson two years ago and then I think, he will ran away.

Postby Andy Spark

Skullman wrote:Steve Davis has done it at least thrice, beating Higgins in 1983, Johnson in 1987 and the other Higgins in 2010.

I can look up others shortly.

BTW Well done Skull for using the word "thrice". An underused and quality word in the English language.

It's like when people who have English as a first language use the word "less" rather than "fewer", when there is a particular need for integer and quantitative emphasis. That really winds me up, but a good use of "thrice" is like the antidote to such annoyance. :D

Postby vodkadiet

O'Sullivan has twice before trailed 5-3 at the end of the first session of a World Championship 2nd round match, and both times he has gone on to........................................................................

Lose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D :-D :-D

Postby Snooker Overdrive

TheRocket wrote:But Ronnie surely needs a good start tomorrow. If he starts tomorrow like he did today, Perry will gain confidence out of it. Ronnie's got to intimidate him, preferably equalling the match very quickly like he did against Robertson two years ago and then I think, he will ran away.

Of course he can't afford to start like he did today. But if he does it might get very uncomfortable.

Ronnie will hit him with everything he got right from the start. The key are the long pots, once those start going in it will put Perry bang under pressure and he will reel off frames quickly. I can easily see him winning this session 6-2.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

vodkadiet wrote:O'Sullivan has twice before trailed 5-3 at the end of the first session of a World Championship 2nd round match, and both times he has gone on to........................................................................

Are you sure? I can't believe Ronnie has only twice trailed 5-3 in the last 16 in his 20 appearances there.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:O'Sullivan has twice before trailed 5-3 at the end of the first session of a World Championship 2nd round match, and both times he has gone on to........................................................................

Are you sure? I can't believe Ronnie has only twice trailed 5-3 in the last 16 in his 20 appearances there.

Nah maybe he's right, he dug up everything he could to see which patterns would fit in there so that Ronnie loses, so I believe him. <laugh>

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Concerning the other matches tomorrow:

Carter and Selby have been playing very well today, let's see if they can keep up this standard. Strangely I think Mark Selby's standard is more likely to drop than Carter's. Ali will try to close the gap as soon as possible but if Selby is too strong to do that, he just has to hang on like against Trump in 2012. Should be very interesting tomorrow.

In last year's semi final rematch Barry will be favourite, not just because he won 12 months ago but also because he played much better than Walden in his opening round. But Walden showed in the Masters that he can beat Hawkins. Unfortunately they play during the Selby match, so I won't see much of this.

McManus and Doherty both pulled off stunning upsets and now meet in the last 16. They're tactically evenly matched but Alan is the better scorer. An intriguing match for the purists.
Last edited by Snooker Overdrive on 24 Apr 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

Nah maybe he's right, he dug up everything he could to see which patterns would fit in there so that Ronnie loses, so I believe him. <laugh>

Next thing he'll tell us is that Ronnie was never able to win 3 World Titles in a row <laugh>

Postby vodkadiet

Snooker Overdrive wrote:

He trailed Parrott 3-5 in 1994 (lost 3-13);and he was 3-5 in 1997 against D. Morgan (lost 12-13).

He has lost in the 1st round 3 times(1993,2000,2003).

In the 16 other second round matches he has played he has never trailed at the end of the first session.

Postby Andre147

That match against Morgan must have been a good one, as it was the one I mentioned yesterday between Ronnie and David Gray. Even though he lost both, would like to watch them on Youtube, but don't think anyone has it. :shrug:

Postby vodkadiet

Andre147 PGC wrote:That match against Morgan must have been a good one, as it was the one I mentioned yesterday between Ronnie and David Gray. Even though he lost both, would like to watch them on Youtube, but don't think anyone has it. :shrug:

I have the matches on VHS tapes, but I no longer have a recorder!!!!!!! :-D