Topic locked

Re: Dafabet World Championship (Friday April 25th) Last 16 !

Postby Cannonball

Sonny wrote:It's been a day of anxiety at the Crucible. Selby, Ronnie, Carter, Hawkins all looking anxious. Apparently Selby was happy in his press conference, just knew he had to share the frames in sessions 2 and 3 to get over the line. I mean whenever Carter got to within a couple he pulled away again but I remain to be convinced. I think he lacks a ruthless instinct that Robertson has in abundance.

Robbo is just more of a competitor. He's Australian and it helps. The mindset is different. I can see English anxiety, self-doubt and less than ruthless eyes on the face of Ronnie, Selby, Carter, Hawkins. We see a toughness in the Scottish players, Higgins and Hendry, even Angles. Robbo is focused only on the balls, he doesn't appear to give two hoots about anything else. Single-mindedness combined with Australian grit. I could be wrong, but that's how I see it. I see this in all their sportsmen and it's bloody annoying!

Postby Cannonball

Holden Chinaski wrote:I just noticed Selby hasn't made a century yet.

Yeah, he's relying on tenacious match play. You make a good point. Will his scoring be enough to beat Robbo?

Postby Roland

Cannonball wrote:
Sonny wrote:It's been a day of anxiety at the Crucible. Selby, Ronnie, Carter, Hawkins all looking anxious. Apparently Selby was happy in his press conference, just knew he had to share the frames in sessions 2 and 3 to get over the line. I mean whenever Carter got to within a couple he pulled away again but I remain to be convinced. I think he lacks a ruthless instinct that Robertson has in abundance.

Robbo is just more of a competitor. He's Australian and it helps. The mindset is different. I can see English anxiety, self-doubt and less than ruthless eyes on the face of Ronnie, Selby, Carter, Hawkins. We see a toughness in the Scottish players, Higgins and Hendry, even Angles. Robbo is focused only on the balls, he doesn't appear to give two hoots about anything else. Single-mindedness combined with Australian grit. I could be wrong, but that's how I see it. I see this in all their sportsmen and it's bloody annoying!

Spot on

Postby Roland

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Wasley looked pretty ruthless against Ding in that third session.

Wasley was brilliant. I've seen him play many times so know what he's capable of but to do it at the Crucible against the player of the season and to do it when the pressure was on at the end as well, it was pretty phenomenal. I think he'll beat Dale.

If he does beat Dale it will be another Crucible debutant from the Pink Army reaching the quarter-finals after Jamie Jones and Michael White. All down to Paul Mount and his passion for the game. :bowdown:

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Sonny wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Wasley looked pretty ruthless against Ding in that third session.

Wasley was brilliant. I've seen him play many times so know what he's capable of but to do it at the Crucible against the player of the season and to do it when the pressure was on at the end as well, it was pretty phenomenal. I think he'll beat Dale.

If he does beat Dale it will be another Crucible debutant from the Pink Army after Jamie Jones and Michael White. All down to Paul Mount and his passion for the game. :bowdown:

Since Trump made his breakthrough in 2011 we haven't seen another young player to really push on and get into the top 16. Could he be the next? I would love that.

Postby Roland

What I liked about Wasley is that he kept a positive attitude, he's very quick once he's decided on the shot, one feather and hits the ball, no nonsense. The main thing is that he scored very well, didn't miss anything easy and won the safety battles against Ding which is no mean feat in itself. As I mentioned elsewhere, Ding compared the match to his 2011 semi against Judd so how high praise is that for Wazza?

Postby Roland

Yeah he's a bright lad and appears to have a decent future in the game. Not forgetting of course the black he slammed in to beat Milkins 10-9 in the qualifiers on a re-spotted black. I was right behind the shot and couldn't help but let out a cheer when it went in. What a shot to get to the Crucible.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:But make no mistake, I'm just as nervous as you are.

For the first time Ronnie has a realistic chance of leveling Davis's and Hendry's World Title record and time is running out. He's in his late 30s and he has to make every chance count now. So Ronnie to lose to Joe Perry would be a real hammer blow...

I know, but in a way I wont be that bothered if he loses, ok getting to 6 World Titles this year would be great, but he's already on 5, a number I never thought possible until 2011 and especially where he was mentally, so in a way everything he gets from here is a bonus really. He has nothing left to prove anymore, like he says he definately wont put too much pressure on himself.

But of course I too will be nervous tomorrow and want him to win, also I'd much rather see Ronnie losing to a Murphy or Fu for instance than a Perry, no disrespect whatsoever to Joe but thats a bad way to lose.

Well Ding lost to Wasley but he hasnt got a good record here whereas Ronnie has.

Postby Cannonball

For the first time Ronnie has a realistic chance of leveling Davis's and Hendry's World Title record and time is running out. He's in his late 30s and he has to make every chance count now. So Ronnie to lose to Joe Perry would be a real hammer blow...

Mate, if I could crap my pants to feel better I would. It's horrible. I resisted whisky, but I have had some pear cider and now some shiraz. If he doesn't get on it soon, the time will be lost and he'll be stuck on 5. Even if he beats him, the doubts will persist in my mind. He'll always be the greatest for me, until someone more talented comes along, the records don't mean a thing. I can watch that 92 break against Carter in awe for all my days and smile. Thank god for youtube! <ok>

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Wild, you should give Carter more credit. His achievements demand respect. Ali made more World Finals than Selby and won just as many ranking titles. He performed well at the Crucible for years now.

I remember his last 16 match in 2007 against Stephen Hendry who made the UK final that season. Ali hammered him, Stephen looked devastated after Carter lead him after the second session 12-4.

Lets Analise the Ranking finals Carter Won compare to selby 1 was against Jamie Burnett the other was against Joe Swail and as soon as he was drawn Ronnie in the World Final only his mam gave him a chance.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wildey wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Wild, you should give Carter more credit. His achievements demand respect. Ali made more World Finals than Selby and won just as many ranking titles. He performed well at the Crucible for years now.

I remember his last 16 match in 2007 against Stephen Hendry who made the UK final that season. Ali hammered him, Stephen looked devastated after Carter lead him after the second session 12-4.

Lets Analise the Ranking finals Carter Won compare to selby 1 was against Jamie Burnett the other was against Joe Swail and as soon as he was drawn Ronnie in the World Final only his mam gave him a chance.

Yes he was fortunate to play inexperienced players in these finals but a win is win. Also you forgot to mention his win over Fu in Germany. He's a fine player, not some kind of joke.

Postby Wildey

yea i know Ali Carter is a fine player and you can only respect what hes done in the sport a lot of players thats considered great players hasent been in even 1 World final and he has done it with a illness as well.

but ive never been a fan of his and my least favorite player in the the sport most probably

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Yes he was fortunate to play inexperienced players in these finals but a win is win. Also you forgot to mention his win over Fu in Germany. He's a fine player, not some kind of joke.

He is, Wild just doesnt like him because Ali whinnes too much about everything <laugh>

Bue he is indeed a good player, his main problem has always been his temperament, especially against players he has a bad record, he beats himself up too much, a bit like Mags I suppose but Stephen is more talented than he is, but yeah Ali is a good player nevertheless.

Postby AC or LT?

Sonny wrote:

If he does beat Dale it will be another Crucible debutant from the Pink Army reaching the quarter-finals after Jamie Jones and Michael White. All down to Paul Mount and his passion for the game. :bowdown:

Yeah, I managed to see that match with it being bank holiday monday (was that really only four days ago) I was very impressed with Wasley's game and wouldn't be all to surprised to see him in the final a few years down the line.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 PGC wrote:

I know, but in a way I wont be that bothered if he loses, ok getting to 6 World Titles this year would be great, but he's already on 5, a number I never thought possible until 2011 and especially where he was mentally, so in a way everything he gets from here is a bonus really. He has nothing left to prove anymore, like he says he definately wont put too much pressure on himself.

But of course I too will be nervous tomorrow and want him to win, also I'd much rather see Ronnie losing to a Murphy or Fu for instance than a Perry, no disrespect whatsoever to Joe but thats a bad way to lose.

Well Ding lost to Wasley but he hasnt got a good record here whereas Ronnie has.

Yeah after he successfully defended that World Title, his greatest ever achievement I think, everything is a bonus now. That was the only thing missing and he also overtook his greatest rival Higgins for good it seems. That's all we could have ever asked for. And especially after this magnificent season he's had I surely wouldn't feel disappointed for long.

But like you said it just wouldn't feel right should his incredible Crucible winning streak come to an end against someone like Joe Perry. Only losing to Selby in the final would be worse.