Topic locked

Re: Dafabet World Championship (Saturday April 26th) Last 16

Postby Cannonball

Skullman wrote:
GJ wrote:Its hard to pin point a weakness in dales game

So im amazed he's only won 2rankers .....

Lack of mental strength? Consistency?

Very impressed by his Beeb interview. He's having a laugh, enjoying it and knows time isn't on his side, so he's going for it. Very dangerous, are relaxed players in the zone.

Postby Cannonball

Snooker Overdrive wrote:It's the year 2014 and Alan McManus is the only Scottish player in the quarter finals of the World Championship.

Hendry, Dott, Maguire and Higgins must be thinking: what is going here?!

Add MJW, Stevens and Ebdon to that list. This year has been carnage in qualifiers, first round matches, and I think it may continue. It's hard for me to call any matches now, after the Ronnie/Perry debacle. Who knows, Trousers v. Dom in the final?

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:It's the year 2014 and Alan McManus is the only Scottish player in the quarter finals of the World Championship.

Plus out of all the Welsh players, only Dom and Day are left, and by Monday's end, could just be Dominic Dale.

Stevens, Jamie Jones and MJW not even made it to Sheffield and Mike White out first round.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:

Plus out of all the Welsh players, only Dom and Day are left, and by Monday's end, could just be Dominic Dale.

Stevens, Jamie Jones and MJW not even made it to Sheffield and Mike White out first round.

Interesting. <laugh>

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Cannonball wrote:

Add MJW, Stevens and Ebdon to that list. This year has been carnage in qualifiers, first round matches, and I think it may continue. It's hard for me to call any matches now, after the Ronnie/Perry debacle. Who knows, Trousers v. Dom in the final?

There have always been shocks at the Crucible. But since 2007 only 3 players have won the title: Ronnie, Higgins and Robbo. And it's likely that it's again either Ronnie or Robbo this year.

Postby PLtheRef

Been a rather strange championships in that in the case of both Scotland and Wales, its the first time that either player has been the last remaining player from each others respective countries to be standing in the championships,

It's the stranger championships that do stick out in the memory, compared to the ones where 14 or 15 seeds go to the second round.

Postby Cannonball

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Cannonball wrote:

There have always been shocks at the Crucible. But since 2007 only 3 players have won the title: Ronnie, Higgins and Robbo. And it's likely that it's again either Ronnie or Robbo this year.

I agree with you, it would be strange if Ronnie or Robbo wasn't there. In theory, Ronnie should be there, but it looks hazardous already. And then we have Robbo who skully has pointed out tends to fail if he does well early, and who also crumbles against really good players. I just don't know!

Postby Cannonball

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:

Interesting. <laugh>

Yeah,all the grumpy Celts are out!

Postby Snooker Overdrive

A final word on the Ronnie v Perry match.

Ronnie played exceptional after the interval and this was the break that gave him the lead for the first time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhtpcEH_YWk&t=3m10s

That long red was just so beautifully cued, straight into the heart of the pocket.

When he needed his long potting the most he knocked them, over 90% long pot success in the final session. I remember the match against Allen 5 years ago, his long game deserted him there in the final stages of the match. Nowadays he can just turn it on under the pressure.

Ronnie struggled with his positional play on Thursday and Friday but it was sublime in these last 2 frames. Never looked like missing. Unbelievable after what happened earlier. All the way through the first two sessions and especially at 11-9, it just felt like a match Ronnie couldn't win. And he wouldn't have just a couple of years ago.

What a win that was for Ronnie and his fans! I never saw him react so emotional before, not even after winning titles. His Crucible winning streak, now 12 matches in a row, remains intact.
And the hat-trick dream is still alive!

Postby Andre147

Good analysis there SO, and excelent comparison with the Allen match in 2009... Ronnie though was 9-7 up then, but yeah like you say when he nedeed his long potting the most it deserted him, and that was something back then it was torture as a Ronnie fan because we knew he couldnt handle close matches well, especially against top players like Allen, Selby and Higgins.

Now it's just the opposite isn't it... Definately playing his best snooker, so therefore needs to make the most out of it while he still can because even though he doesnt have anything else to prove, he should really take advantage of this moment in his career and win a few more titles, because he like all players will eventually start an inevitable decline, his though it appears wont be coming for at least 1 or 2 years more :-)