Topic locked

Re: Dafabet World Championship (Tue April 29th) Quarter Fina

Postby Andre147

Have you seen Hawkins match stats after the 2nd session?

94% pot sucess, 76% long pot sucess, 84% safety sucess and highest break is 134, think he's had two tons. :hatoff:

Very impressive stuff after 16 frames played.

He will be a true test for Ronnie should both come through, like he was at last year's Final.

Postby Cannonball

edwards2000 wrote:Ali Carter is usually derided around these parts as a useless bunny, so why has that suddenly changed haha?

Anyway, I wasn't talking about Carter, I happen to rate him very highly,. But a QF against Mcmanus is the stuff of dreams. My problem is the double standards. If Ronnie wins this title, I hope we don't have to suffer the same nonsense as the 2 years previous.

:spot on:

Imagine taking a whole season off, coming to the Worlds and winning it. Has to be down to a lucky draw. Nothing to do with having more talent than anyone in history and putting in 6 solid weeks of practice eh?

Postby Skullman

edwards2000 wrote:Ali Carter is usually derided around these parts as a useless bunny, so why has that suddenly changed haha?

Anyway, I wasn't talking about Carter, I happen to rate him very highly,. But a QF against Mcmanus is the stuff of dreams. My problem is the double standards. If Ronnie wins this title, I hope we don't have to suffer the same nonsense as the 2 years previous.

Bunny means they're only easy for a certain player. So the likes of Carter and MJW, while being good players, is an easy draw for Ronnie (and no one else).

Another example would be Trump, who is a tough draw for anyone except John Higgins who (almost) always seems to beat, no matter what their respective forms were like prior to their match.

BTW Typically more than one player is needed for it to be an easy draw.

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:That was the most one sided first quarter final day at the Crucible I have ever seen. Disappointing.

Skullman Fun Fact: The 'easiest' quarters of the Worlds (easiest being defined as the total frames conceded by the winner being the lowest) was in 2004, which only 23 frames dropped by the winners.

Postby Cannonball

Andre147 PGC wrote:Have you seen Hawkins match stats after the 2nd session?

94% pot sucess, 76% long pot sucess, 84% safety sucess and highest break is 134, think he's had two tons. :hatoff:

He will be a true test for Ronnie should both come through, like he was at last year's Final.

He's frightening IMO. He's playing better than Selby, as good as Judd/Robbo. Maybe he doesn't make the same tons but he is so solid mentally, dogged and he can play. So improved over the last few years, his work has been justly rewarded. Folk talking about easy draws; I think Ronnie has the harder draw, he's got to play Murphy and Hawkins in form.

Postby edwards2000

Ah, how convenient.. it only counts for certain players. Ronnie beats nearly every player by a large margin, and it's because he is far better. Nothing to do with "bunnies".

@andre

Hawkins had those kind of stats last year and was a handful. Ronnie has got a very hard task from SF onwards, should he beat Murph.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Indeed. Hawkins has become a real powerhouse. It's unbelievable really how much he has improved these last couple of years.

Postby Skullman

edwards2000 wrote:Ah, how convenient.. it only counts for certain players. Ronnie beats nearly every player by a large margin, and it's because he is far better. Nothing to do with "bunnies".

@andrea

Hawkins had those kind of stats last year and was a handful. Ronnie has got a very hard task from SF onwards, should he beat Murph.

More to do with prior H2H. If a player hasn't beaten you before or hasn't in over ten years, it's unlikely they'll beat you again, due to the mental barrier. MJW definitely doesn't seem like he has the belief in himself to beat Ronnie.

Postby Cannonball

Snooker Overdrive wrote:

Indeed. Hawkins has become a real powerhouse. It's unbelievable really how much he has improved these last couple of years.

We've seen a late career spurt with Bingo and Mark Davis as well. Hard work, the right coaching, sports psycho, it can change a player a lot.
Last edited by Cannonball on 29 Apr 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Roland

I enjoyed that session, a nice 8-1 win for Mark and pretty much into the semis. An easy match on paper but it's good that he's blown McManus away instead of made hard work of it.

Murphy doing what I thought, out of his depth and taking on silly shots leaving Ronnie right in amongst them. He's not nearly in the same class. Hawkins is though, should be a repeat of last years final in the semi and I suspect Hawks will fancy the job.

Elsewhere Robbo significantly off the boil. I think he'll come back but if he doesn't then all the better for Selby.

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Indeed. Hawkins has become a real powerhouse. It's unbelievable really how much he has improved these last couple of years.

Really this last year. Australia almost felt like a one off with so many top players either not turning up or playing badly/being beaten by Ebdon, and he didn't really replicate form like that until the World final where he played the best I had ever seen him play. Seems to be finding that form again now.

Postby Cannonball

Sonny wrote:I enjoyed that session, a nice 8-1 win for Mark and pretty much into the semis. An easy match on paper but it's good that he's blown McManus away instead of made hard work of it.

Murphy doing what I thought, out of his depth and taking on silly shots leaving Ronnie right in amongst them. He's not nearly in the same class. Hawkins is though, should be a repeat of last years final in the semi and I suspect Hawks will fancy the job.

Elsewhere Robbo significantly off the boil. I think he'll come back but if he doesn't then all the better for Selby.

I thought Hawkins missed some key shots last year and gave it to Ronnie in a way. Sure, Ronnie still had the balls to pot, but Barry had chances to win last year, or at least develop a sizeable lead.

Postby Cannonball

Sonny wrote:I enjoyed that session, a nice 8-1 win for Mark and pretty much into the semis. An easy match on paper but it's good that he's blown McManus away instead of made hard work of it.

Judd likes being the underdog, have you heard? rofl

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Cannonball wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

We've seen a late career spurt with Bingo and Mark Davis as well. Hard work, the right coaching, sports psycho, it can change a player a lot.

But he's even more successful than these two. 2 ranking titles + a World Final + at least another World semi in 2 seasons is just incredible. Also he's the world number 4 at the moment and could even top the rankings should he win this.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Cannonball wrote:

Judd likes being the underdog, have you heard? rofl

We won't be against Selby should he get the job done tomorrow.

Postby edwards2000

He might not be in Ronnie's class, but he is in Selby's

http://www.cuetracker.net/pages/h2h.php?ID1=2&ID2=4

He took Selby to 16-17, and he can't be that bad to do that, or to be a former champ. So no push over, and Ronnie will have to keep his foot on the peddle.
Last edited by edwards2000 on 29 Apr 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Really? You would prefer Ronnie losing in the semis to Ronnie losing in the final against Selby? <laugh>

I'm perfectly happy to have players I don't like to lose early. The earlier the better.

Postby Skullman

boris_the_butcher wrote:What's with all these Selby fans wanting Ronnie to lose before the final? Only a few months ago someone senior on this site believed Selby was too strong to lose to Ronnie in 2014 and that Mark was close to playing perfect snooker.

Was it Sonny? He's not exactly the most objective when it comes to Selby...

PS When 'all these Selby fans'? Think it's just me.
Last edited by Skullman on 29 Apr 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby edwards2000

boris_the_butcher wrote:What's with all these Selby fans wanting Ronnie to lose before the final? Only a few months ago someone senior on this site believed Selby was too strong to lose to Ronnie in 2014 and that Mark was close to playing perfect snooker.

I also remember this. I remember all the talk about how Ronnie feared Selby, how Selby had Ron's number, and in the Masters final, how Ronnie would finally crack. Didn't happen.

Postby Andre147

Reading that I understand you consider Judd an easier draw for Selby than Robbo, right?

If I were you I wouldn't be too sure about that, Judd too is well capable of beating Selby, he's done it before and would also fancy being the underdog in that match.

Postby Skullman

edwards2000 wrote:I also remember this. I remember all the talk about how Ronnie feared Selby, how Selby had Ron's number, and in the Masters final, how Ronnie would finally crack. Didn't happen.

In my opinion, Ronnie did look a bit more vulnerable than he normal that match (incidentally I feel the same about his match against John Higgins in the Welsh), and Selby playing much better than he did might have taken advantage.

Still Ronnie will need much more pressure than Selby can administer with his typical standard of play these days.

Postby Roland

I'd sooner Selby get to the final and face Ronnie than Hawkins.

Actually scratch that remembering back to the UK :redneck:

Seriously though if Judd wins tomorrow then that's a massive shock as far as I'm concerned and I might actually start to believe it could be Mark's year at last.