Session 2 Friday 2nd of May @ 10am
Session 3 Friday 2nd of May @ 7pm
Session 4 Saturday 3rd of May @ 2.30pm

Ronnie O'Sullivan v Barry Hawkins

Click for Head to Heads

Overall O'Sullivan Leads 6-1
Main Tournaments O'Sullivan leads 6-1
World Championship O'Sullivan leads 1-0

1st semi final is a repeat of the final 12 months ago with Barry Hawkins once again challanging the reigning World Champion Ronnie O'Sullivan

The Last time they played each other was in the Welsh Open this year when Ronnie beat Barry 6-2 in the semi finals with 3 centuries.

DRAW

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: World Championship S F 1 : Ronnie O'Sullivan v Barry Haw

Postby jojo

i can honestly see hawkins troubling ronnie the match will go the full four sessions it will be really close

hawkins has nothing to lose and he will draw on last years experience when he gave a good account of himself

he will let his cue arm flow expect some big breaks from him especially if ronnies long potting is suspect i can see hawkins giving him a big fright

i think ronnie is 60 40 favourite and no more

stephen hendry said after the first session against murphy what i been saying for the last few years basically most players are petrified of ronnie and the match is lost in the head

perry and murphy prove that but i have a feeling hawkins could upset ronnie

Postby TheRocket

Ronnie still hasn't found his best game so far. Apart from the last 2 or 3 frames against Perry he never played his A-Game. On the one side it worries me because he played a far higher standard last year during the second round and the quarters but on the other side it's possible that he will peak in the semis and in the final.

He will definitely need it. I don't think, he can win this tournament with his B-Game.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:Ronnie still hasn't found his best game so far. Apart from the last 2 or 3 frames against Perry he never played his A-Game. On the one side it worries me because he played a far higher standard last year during the second round and the quarters but on the other side it's possible that he will peak in the semis and in the final.

He will definitely need it. I don't think, he can win this tournament with his B-Game.

Me neither, but not to worry, he has proved in this past 2 years that when he truly needs to he ups his game when asked, so he'll do the same if he feels the pressure from Barry because Barry will want a fast start against Ronnie, he certainly doesnt want Ronnie to just run away with the match as thats the worst case scenario for Hawkins.

Postby Skullman

Just realised we have the top three seeds in the semi finals event. Having three or more top four seeds in the semi final of a major is quite uncommon, especially since the days of the big four ended.

Last time it happened was the 2009 UK Championship (Higgins, O'Sullivan and Maguire being the top four seeds) and the last time it happened in the Worlds was way back in 1999 (Higgins, Hendry and O'Sullivan being the top four seeds, Williams was No5 seed, with Doherty as No4 seed).

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:Just realised we have the top three seeds in the semi finals event. Having three or more top four seeds in the semi final of a major is quite uncommon, especially since the days of the big four ended.

Last time it happened was the 2009 UK Championship (Higgins, O'Sullivan and Maguire being the top four seeds) and the last time it happened in the Worlds was way back in 1999 (Higgins, Hendry and O'Sullivan being the top four seeds, Williams was No5 seed, with Doherty as No4 seed).

1999 huh... long time ago, but yeah no surrpise as the Big 4 were basically playing against each other every event.

Postby Andre147

AC or LT? wrote:Big four???

(way before my time by the sounds of it)

I was too young in 1999 but I know full well who they are...

One clue, your favourite player Hendry is one of them <laugh>

EDIT: Was this meant as a joke?

Postby SnookerFan

Over the past couple of seasons I've developed a respect for Barry Hawkins. (I say that not because of who his opponent is, I'd say that if he was in the other semi against Robbo or Selby.) He's not a fashionable player, but he's worked hard, improved himself and has got up to WN4.

Last year him and Walden had a great semi-final, and they both showed great sportsmanship to each other. Then when he was playing against a strong favourite in the final, amidst commentator speculation that there might not be a fourth session, Barry acquitted himself well and gave it his all. Despite it being extremely unlikely he'd win, he gave it is all and can hold his head up high and be proud of his contribution.

I'd absolutely love it if Barry got to the final. I'd love it even more if he won. Unfortunately, I can't see him doing either. Ronnie should win this by five or six frames.

And in the extremely unlikely event that he does beat Ronnie, he'll not get the World Title.

Postby mantorok

SnookerFan wrote:Over the past couple of seasons I've developed a respect for Barry Hawkins. (I say that not because of who his opponent is, I'd say that if he was in the other semi against Robbo or Selby.) He's not a fashionable player, but he's worked hard, improved himself and has got up to WN4.

Last year him and Walden had a great semi-final, and they both showed great sportsmanship to each other. Then when he was playing against a strong favourite in the final, amidst commentator speculation that there might not be a fourth session, Barry acquitted himself well and gave it his all. Despite it being extremely unlikely he'd win, he gave it is all and can hold his head up high and be proud of his contribution.

I'd absolutely love it if Barry got to the final. I'd love it even more if he won. Unfortunately, I can't see him doing either. Ronnie should win this by five or six frames.

And in the extremely unlikely event that he does beat Ronnie, he'll not get the World Title.

Agreed. Good post.

Postby Lucky

What we don't want (for the sake of the tournament) is Ronnie wrapping this up early saturday afternoon, say 1-2 frames, then the other semi going 17-16 sometime around midnight Saturday night!

Postby Lucky

I don't doubt it. But that Dale comeback must of took something out of Hawkins (not to mention giving the table a good thrashing) he will have to be ready from frame one. A bad first session and its over imo.