Topic locked

Re: Dafabet World Championship (Wed April 30th) Quarter Fina

Postby Andre147

GJ wrote:I posted this morning how it would be ironic if trump lost from 6-2 having won from 2-6 in last years quarters

The magic of sport

It really is <ok>

Cant imagine how happy you must be GJ, I know i would be buzzing if Ronnie had just won that match after the ton of tons :-D

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:
A shame TR you can't be around to watch.

All the best on our business <ok>

And hopefully when you arrive Title Number 6 is what we're discussing here :-D

Robbo has more than six ranking titles :?

rofl I wasn't direct on purpose because I knew someone would come up with something like that <laugh>

Postby edwards2000

TheRocket wrote:Judd Trump just has lost the ease he once had, especially in 2011. He was a heavier scorer and stronger potter back then. Everything was just so fluent. Someone wrote it here. I think, had he won the World in 2011, he would have had won far more now.

It was me. And yes, there's no doubt for me that that was a major knock for him, that has offset his entire career. He may win the world championship, and he will win more majors, but nowhere near as soon as he should have, or as many in total. Wounds like that wreck most players over time, but Judd's had massive disappointments in so many now that it's hardly surprising that it's affected him. People take these things for granted.

The seed of doubt is in Trump's mind. And he really should have beaten Higgins that time. Go back and watch it, he was by far the better player. Better attacker, better breakbuilder, more fluent. Higgins just kept pinching the left overs and worming his way into frames he had no right to win.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

edwards2000 wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Judd Trump just has lost the ease he once had, especially in 2011. He was a heavier scorer and stronger potter back then. Everything was just so fluent. Someone wrote it here. I think, had he won the World in 2011, he would have had won far more now.

It was me. And yes, there's no doubt for me that that was a major knock for him, that has offset his entire career. He may win the world championship, and he will win more majors, but nowhere near as soon as he should have, or as many in total. Wounds like that wreck most players over time, but Judd's had massive disappointments in so many now that it's hardly surprising that it's affected him. People take these things for granted.

The seed of doubt is in Trump's mind. And he really should have beaten Higgins that time. Go back and watch it, he was by far the better player. Better attacker, better breakbuilder, more fluent. Higgins just kept pinching the left overs and worming his way into frames he had no right to win.

Ronnie, Ding, Selby, Robertson also suffered plenty of setbacks and failures at Trump's age. Judd is extremely talented and still young, it's far too early to write him off. Also with so few new young talents breaking through it will be only a matter of time before he starts picking up the big titles.

Postby Andre147

GJ wrote:What a semis line up

Top seed
WN1
3rd seed
WN4

Doesnt get any better than that does it...

I suppose one could say if Ding was there it would be the icing on the cake, but I actually think Barry will prove a tougher test for Ronnie than Ding would.

I don't think we could have asked for a better line up this year. :hatoff:

Postby Skullman

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Doesnt get any better than that does it...

I suppose one could say if Ding was there it would be the icing on the cake, but I actually think Barry will prove a tougher test for Ronnie than Ding would.

I don't think we could have asked for a better line up this year. :hatoff:

Fun fact: All four top four seeds have only been in the semi finals of a major thrice, and only once at the Worlds (the instance being the 1990 Worlds, with Davis, Parrott, Hendry and White being the seeds).

Postby Skullman

TBH I was curious about that one a few months ago and looked it up. I have a Word file with all these stats that interest me (and my graphs!).

That said, all three majors with all four top four seeds is something I memorised.

Postby Roland

What a day at the Crucible with Hawkins showing his balls at the death and then that brilliant match between Robbo and Trump. What an atmosphere when he got the 100th ton. Brilliant celebration from Neil which shows how much the achievement meant to him.

There's absolutely no needle between those two no matter what people want to believe, there's only mutual respect as there is between Neil and Selby. Can't wait for that match, should be a cracker and may the best man go on to lift the title.

As for any criticism of the 100 centuries milestone, well pity on you. Robbo has cemented his legend with the achievement.

Postby mantorok

Sonny wrote:What a day at the Crucible with Hawkins showing his balls at the death and then that brilliant match between Robbo and Trump. What an atmosphere when he got the 100th ton. Brilliant celebration from Neil which shows how much the achievement meant to him.

There's absolutely no needle between those two no matter what people want to believe, there's only mutual respect as there is between Neil and Selby. Can't wait for that match, should be a cracker and may the best man go on to lift the title.

As for any criticism of the 100 centuries milestone, well pity on you. Robbo has cemented his legend with the achievement.

Just out of interest, who held the record before and what year was it?

Postby GJ

Shows how great snooker is with twists and turns.

Plenty said yesterday morning it would be 4 one sided matches

In the end we had 2 nail biters.

Postby mantorok

Sonny wrote:As for any criticism of the 100 centuries milestone, well pity on you. Robbo has cemented his legend with the achievement.

Not really, centuries don't win you titles, the only way to cement your legend in this game is to become WC at least once.

Postby Roland

Well he's done that hasn't he?

The previous record was 61 I believe by Judd so he's smashed it.

Robertson said he's made 147s and this was much more of an achievement and it's clearly something he's very proud of.

Postby mantorok

Sonny wrote:Well he's done that hasn't he?

The previous record was 61 I believe by Judd so he's smashed it.

Robertson said he's made 147s and this was much more of an achievement and it's clearly something he's very proud of.

I'm not doubting it's impressive, I just don't think it's something that players will be remembered for, winning big titles is what really counts, and yes he's done that I'm not disputing it, I just think he will be a legend without that particular stat :chuckle:

Postby mantorok

Sonny wrote:See what you think in 10 years time when people are still talking about it

My only problem with the stat is that it's compared across seasons, we now have the PTC events so there are many many more opportunities to play in events these days.

Postby Wildey

mantorok wrote:
Sonny wrote:See what you think in 10 years time when people are still talking about it

My only problem with the stat is that it's compared across seasons, we now have the PTC events so there are many many more opportunities to play in events these days.

So if its that easy in todays snooker never mind what happened during the Hendry era lets see someone else do it next season the Tournaments are there for players lets see just how close they get Christ Ding winning 5 events as one of the Greatest breakbuilders in the game is 40 off Robertson.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:You could have an event every week of the year and anyone would be hard pushed to get near it.

thats the challenge

but i hope players dont set out on a season trying to achieve that.

Postby NNear

Robertson has got his centuries at a clip that equals the best rates in history but has maintained it over many more frames. The combination of his prolificacy and efficiency is difficult to deny. In short, his achievement is superb.

Postby mantorok

Sonny wrote:You could have an event every week of the year and anyone would be hard pushed to get near it.

I'm not doubting the impressiveness of this achievement, but I would like to see the stat compared on a percentage basis of tons to number of frames, then compare that down the years.

Take these as stats then you get an idea for quality of play:

2007/08 = Highest century count = 50, tournaments (exc. qualifiers) = 13 = 3.8 centuries per tournament
2013/14 = Highest century count = 100, tournaments (exc. qualifiers) = 30 = 3.3 centuries per tournament

So although a record has been broken I still stand by what I say, more tournaments = more centuries, which is bl00dy obvious when you think about it!