Post a reply

Which of these following records will Ronnie break before he retires?

first player to make 1000 centuries
10%
first player to make 15 maximum breaks
10%
tie or overtake Steve Davis's 6 UK titles
10%
tie or overtake Steve Davis's 28 ranking titles
11%
tie or overtake Stephen Hendry's 6 Masters titles
11%
tie Steve Davis's 6 World titles
9%
tie Stephen Hendry's 7 World titles
6%
overtake Stephen Hendry's 7 World titles
3%
tie or overtake Stephen Hendry's 18 majors
9%
tie or overtake Stephen Hendry's 36 ranking titles
9%
Oldest ranking event winner in snooker history
6%
Oldest World Champion in snooker history
6%

Total votes : 234

Re: Which records will Ronnie beat?

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:its not a case of being fair its just not what Rankings suppose to represent.

Rankings in every Sport should represent the hard graft of getting out there and playing and not just turning up for some events.

i do think the point allocation is wrong but money takes it to the extreme and against what rankings should be about.

2014 World Championship is worth more points to the Winner than 2013 and over the coming years i could easily see more Money for Chinese Events than the UK Championship.

Yes Wild I fully agree, one player can only turn up to a couple of events, win them for instance and be placed high in the rankings as opposed to a player who competed in everything, reached far in some events but didn't win them, or at least didn't win one where the prize money was higher than other events.

The money system though I'm all for it, but there should be a better balance between for instance a winner and a runner-up. Hearn says the sport is for the winners and they should be rewarded, but when there are such massive differences in prize money things need some sorting out. But despite all this money rankings is the way forward for me.

Postby NNear

So, today I learned that Edwards loves his records.

Now then... let's see. What records can he take that may stand for a very long time?

I'm not convinced Ronnie's century record will be beaten so easily after he attains it under the assumption that he remains motivated to play on the tour for another 7/8 years.

Will he win 37 ranking titles? Doubtful.

How about 8 World Championships? Doubtful.

How about 19 Triple Crown events? Actually, I think he may have a shot at this and it would be a mighty record.

His maximum break record? Providing he plays on, he could add handsomely to it. Only Ding from the current top players looks like he could threaten it in the long run.

Many of these things depends on how willing Ronnie is to work at being a top pro well into his 40's. Doing so will require dedication to his game and taking care of his health by continuing to be fit and strong. He has the talent to play on for many more years, I'm convinced of it.

Other records:

7 or more centuries in one match? Possible at the WC but unlikely to equal Hendry's record in a best of 19 match?

He does currently hold the record for the most unanswered points right? He achieved it against Ricky Walden at the Masters 2014 if I'm not mistaken.

I think the realistic big big records that Ronnie can either take or improve and keep for a long time would be his 147 record and reaching 19 Majors.

Postby NNear

Ronnie may already hold some important longevity records. Has anyone else won Majors over the span of 20/21 years?

Postby edwards2000

The question is, which records are not going to be beaten ever?

1. 5 centuries in a best of 9 (Ronnie). Can't be beaten, only equalled. And he had a 147 in there.
2. 5 min 20 sec 147 (Ronnie) Likely never beaten.
3. Three 147s at Crucible (Hendo and Ronnie). Only Ronnie in with a chance of beating 3 for forseeable future.
4. Most Centuries at crucible (Ronnie). Maybe one day... but not for a long while.
5. Most centuries at Masters (Ronnie). A long time.

All the rest are doable and will be broken at some point. Hendry's 7 centuries may hold out a long while though. Hendry's UK century total may hold out a while too... although more matches now.

Postby NNear

Nice list, I couldn't recall some of those at the time though obviously I remember them now that you've brought them up again.

If Ronnie can get to 19 Triple Crown Event wins, the record could stand at least for a very long time.

147's at the crucible is a good shout for something that Ronnie could have the sole record for. I'd like to think he can add a couple more before he packs up his cue.

Am I right regarding Ronnie's longevity record? I think that is very significant because it shows that his talent and snooker transcends eras.

Postby Andre147

edwards2000 wrote:And let's not forget that only Ding and Kirk Stevens have made a 147 at the Masters.

That is a strange one indeed, you would expect a few more 147s there but no... I think Hendry once bottled one when he missed the pink for position on the final black.

Postby vodkadiet

O'Sullivan will break every record there is worth breaking. I think he will be the first player to make 200 centuries in a season next season(100 left handed, and 100 right handed). He might even make a few centuries with the cue placed between his butt cheeks. He might need some lubricant though, and he might need Dennis Taylor to chalk his cue for him.

Postby edwards2000

vodkadiet wrote:O'Sullivan will break every record there is worth breaking. I think he will be the first player to make 200 centuries in a season next season(100 left handed, and 100 right handed). He might even make a few centuries with the cue placed between his butt cheeks. He might need some lubricant though, and he might need Dennis Taylor to chalk his cue for him.

Yeah, how about you leave this discussion for the adults. There's a good boy. :spot on: I'm going to have no-one left to view soon. Already 5 on ignore list. <laugh>

NNear wrote:And then flung his cue somewhat along the table.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM_eEZrP9wc 3:15

Thanks for that! Amazing that Hendry and Ronnie never bottled a black ball, but both messed up the pink. I guess blue to pink is not as easy under pressure.

Postby Lucky

Ronnie has declined. Its his attitude which has altered and made him seem to play at a greater level. If he'd of appliied himself better in his true prime he would of won a great deal more tournaments. Unfortunately he was mentaly questionable and basically let himself down. Whether or not he is happy with this.......only he knows.

Postby NNear

vodkadiet wrote:O'Sullivan will break every record there is worth breaking. I think he will be the first player to make 200 centuries in a season next season(100 left handed, and 100 right handed). He might even make a few centuries with the cue placed between his butt cheeks. He might need some lubricant though, and he might need Dennis Taylor to chalk his cue for him.

It's a decent prediction but I just have to disagree with the last part. I don't think Ronnie needs the aid of Dennis to complete the achievement; he's better than that.

Yeah, apart from that I think you're spot on, but don't underestimate Ronnie's talent..........

(Also perhaps you're being a bit cautious with the overall number)

Postby edwards2000

Lucky wrote:Ronnie has declined. Its his attitude which has altered and made him seem to play at a greater level. .

That is complete hokum. When a player declines, they miss easy balls and no matter how good they are, they cannot consistently make 90% pot success. O'Sullivan's long game is now better than it was 1 decade ago. Far from decline, he has improved. But sooner or later, he will decline, and the stats will bear it out.

Postby Andre147

edwards2000 wrote:
Lucky wrote:Ronnie has declined. Its his attitude which has altered and made him seem to play at a greater level. .

That is complete hokum. When a player declines, they miss easy balls and no matter how good they are, they cannot consistently make 90% pot success. O'Sullivan's long game is now better than it was 1 decade ago. Far from decline, he has improved. But sooner or later, he will decline, and the stats will bear it out.

He's better now than he's ever been.

Simple to say if this kind of Ronnie were around 10 or 15 years ago he would have broken all major records by now.

But we can't dwel on the past and like he himself says if he retired today he already doesn't have anything else to prove.

Of course while he's still on top he should make the most of it, because like any other player he will decline, but I'm glad at the moment that isn't happening.

Steve Peters :bowdown:

Postby edwards2000

It's Ronnie's crazy fitness that is the key to his survival in terms of not declining. Jimmy White was so unfit, he fell off the radar way too fast, despite all that talent. Had he really wanted that world title, he would have gone down the gym and practised his bottom off. But he didn't have that mentality. Ronnie and the other select few do.

Postby Souvent

edwards2000 wrote:It's Ronnie's crazy fitness that is the key to his survival in terms of not declining. Jimmy White was so unfit, he fell off the radar way too fast, despite all that talent. Had he really wanted that world title, he would have gone down the gym and practised his bottom off. But he didn't have that mentality. Ronnie and the other select few do.

That's true. People often forget Ronnie is one of the most stoic of snooker professionals. You won't see him boozing up, that's for sure.

Postby NNear

Exactly. It takes it toll over the years you know, living the high life style or whatever. Ronnie has kept himself in shape and just generally takes care of his body. It's his mind that has been in question and now both are in sync.

Postby Cloud Strife

I have to disagree with Seifer and Andre on this one. Ronnie has declined, I've seen him play better, more consistently than he is at this moment in time.

What has improved is his mentality, he is more up for the fight than previously. He is also fit as a fiddle which helps.

Postby Cloud Strife

To put things into perspective, Ronnie played better in the 1999 World Championship than he has in this one, yet he didn't even reach the final in 99.

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:To put things into perspective, Ronnie played better in the 1999 World Championship than he has in this one, yet he didn't even reach the final in 99.

But no one is saying in this tournament we've seen the best Ronnie ever, because we havent, far from it.

In 2012 then yeah he was better then in 1999 for instance.

Postby edwards2000

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:To put things into perspective, Ronnie played better in the 1999 World Championship than he has in this one, yet he didn't even reach the final in 99.

But no one is saying in this tournament we've seen the best Ronnie ever, because we havent, far from it.

In 2012 then yeah he was better then in 1999 for instance.

75% long pot success, 93% pot success, 80% safety success.

Come on. That doesn't happen often.

Postby Andy Spark

Ronnie should become the first for 1000 centuries now that he's mentioned it as a goal. Personally I don't think he should bother, at best it's a geeky objective, I'd even suggest slightly autistic. I mean, play loads more frames and you'll get more centuries, what does it prove!

28 or more ranking titles is probably now only a matter of time. As for the others goals, then if he can avoid decline for 2 or 3 more years then he'll have a good chance; even 36 ranking titles is not out of reach if Ronnie chooses to set it as a goal.

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 wrote:Sory SO I said there that Ronnie would break Davi's 6 Worlds but hadn't got in mind that you put "break" and not "tie" so for that matter I think he can reach 6 Worlds and tie Davis, but not reach 7 and break that record.

I also selected the 11 maximums becasue I think it's only a matter of time before he makes his 12th and also the centuries total which Ronnie is pretty close to.

I'd like to think he could break Davi's record of 28 rankers, but unfortunately and due to him not participating in all tournaments don't think he will.

So for the record I only ticked the first 2 boxes, the Davis one I made a mistake.

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Sory SO I said there that Ronnie would break Davi's 6 Worlds but hadn't got in mind that you put "break" and not "tie" so for that matter I think he can reach 6 Worlds and tie Davis, but not reach 7 and break that record.

I also selected the 11 maximums becasue I think it's only a matter of time before he makes his 12th and also the centuries total which Ronnie is pretty close to.

I'd like to think he could break Davi's record of 28 rankers, but unfortunately and due to him not participating in all tournaments don't think he will.

So for the record I only ticked the first 2 boxes, the Davis one I made a mistake.

I do admit I deserve an egg on my face on this one lol... it was more down to him playing few events but there was no excuse for it still.

He'll certainly end his career with 40+ ranking events won and smash Hendry's 36 to pieces.