Topic locked

Re: World Championship S F 1 : Ronnie O'Sullivan v Barry Haw

Postby Paddpotter

Sonny wrote:Yeah well we'll see won't we? Ding circa 2014 is a different beast to what's gone before. He is so frighteningly good I think he's about to take over from Ronnie as the dominant force in the game.

Skullman is right to highlight the International final against Fu. If that doesn't show mental resilience then nothing does.

He has got better(fu example noted) and I hope he proves me wrong but I don't think so. I think the younger generation of Chinese players will have a lot more to them and I just hope that the British young guns have something to them also. We should just savour the last days of the Rocket because after him it could be a difficult watch

Postby Paddpotter

Sonny wrote:Yeah just like it was a difficult watch when he took a year out. I mean the game just died didn't it and there was nearly no snooker on tv?

I never even said the game would die and we would't see snooker on the TV? or about difficulty to watch? If you are happy with the current cream of snooker then good luck to you. But my argument had nothing to do with that.

Postby Roland

You said it would be a difficult watch without Ronnie. Anyway, it's pointless arguing because no one is bigger than the game. The game won't die when Ronnie retires or slips down the rankings, it's in fine hands with the likes of Ding, Selby, Robbo and Trump at the top and then the next generation which includes Brecel, Xintong, Haotian, Ursenbacher, Walker and others will safeguard the future. If you want to switch off because Ronnie retires then that's up to you, but you'd be a fool.

I've been watching Ronnie for over 20 years now, I'm bored of him to be honest. He doesn't do anything any different now to how he's always played, he's always been a brilliant player but it's all been seen before, he's not doing anything new, just playing as he always does. You know when he gets in he's going to win the frame and make it look easy, playing the right shots in the right way and not losing position and making it look ridiculously easy, left handed, right handed, whatever. Seen it, it's all on youtube in a million trillion hours worth of footage so his legacy will never die. I just wish someone would stand up to him and beat him for a change. Ronnie winning matches by huge margins is a turn off for me and countless others just like it was when Hendry was doing the same.

Postby Andre147

Sonny wrote:You said it would be a difficult watch without Ronnie. Anyway, it's pointless arguing because no one is bigger than the game. The game won't die when Ronnie retires or slips down the rankings, it's in fine hands with the likes of Ding, Selby, Robbo and Trump at the top and then the next generation which includes Brecel, Xintong, Haotian, Ursenbacher, Walker and others will safeguard the future. If you want to switch off because Ronnie retires then that's up to you, but you'd be a fool.

I've been watching Ronnie for over 20 years now, I'm bored of him to be honest. He doesn't do anything any different now to how he's always played, he's always been a brilliant player but it's all been seen before, he's not doing anything new, just playing as he always does. You know when he gets in he's going to win the frame and make it look easy, playing the right shots in the right way and not losing position and making it look ridiculously easy, left handed, right handed, whatever. Seen it, it's all on youtube in a million trillion hours worth of footage so his legacy will never die. I just wish someone would stand up to him and beat him for a change. Ronnie winning matches by huge margins is a turn off for me and countless others just like it was when Hendry was doing the same.

Well then deal with it :wave: that's what great Champs do like Ronnie and Hendry-

Postby Alex0paul

Sonny wrote:You said it would be a difficult watch without Ronnie. Anyway, it's pointless arguing because no one is bigger than the game. The game won't die when Ronnie retires or slips down the rankings, it's in fine hands with the likes of Ding, Selby, Robbo and Trump at the top and then the next generation which includes Brecel, Xintong, Haotian, Ursenbacher, Walker and others will safeguard the future. If you want to switch off because Ronnie retires then that's up to you, but you'd be a fool.

Couldn't agree more

Postby Paddpotter

'I just wish someone would stand up to him and beat him for a change.' < This is the only thing I noted in that long post tbh.

Your bored because the next generation is non existent. There is nothing to replace the hours and hours of O'sullivan footage on youtube. Money talks and they are all happy to just earn a decent living rather than put their balls on the line and be anything. end of thread

Postby Andy Spark

I disagree with Sonny. Snooker needs players who are the best in the world to show they are the best. This is what gives snooker its credibility as a sport. It needs this particular credibility because it's an unusual sport in the sense that the balls have a lot of lucky rolls and then one player sits down and can't influence the outcome for a long while.

The influence of luck is uncomfortably difficult to judge. Players like Hendry or Ronnie winning loads is, believe it or not, very comforting for those with justifiable concerns and irritations over the influence of luck in snooker.

Postby edwards2000

Paddpotter wrote:
Sonny wrote:Ding didn't collapse. Didn't you see the match?

He didn't collapse within the context of the game because wasley played very well but you could see from early on he had collapsed mentally again. Look at his body language early on it was clear. The venue and the atmosphere affected him

Spot on. Roland loves Ding, but fact is, he has fallen short time and again. To lose R1 like that...

Postby Alyt

Well Ronnie is the most unachieved player ever, with Jimmy White. I hope he can play a few years more because i enjoy watch him play more than i ever did.

I remember him conceding matches, acting like an idiot in press conference his nostrils filled with cocaine, sad times.

Now young people can see him as a model, not only as a "gifted" player.

Postby rocketronnie147

Ding taking the game from Ronnie? Ding is in his prime, and Ronnie spanked him in the Welsh Open final (and I mean spanked). The thing about Ronnie is that even when he beats his opponents and they are torn up inside, even they become fans by just watching his genius! You see it time and time again, as they often smile and just shake their head.......It's like losing to Tiger Woods in golf....there's no shame in losing to either of these ridiculous talents!

No one will ever take the game of Snooker from Ronnie.....time and age are the only things that will hinder him going forward, but I don't see either doing any harm for the foreseeable future. Unlike others before him, he seems to be playing in a way to negate burnout. He's not playing as much, and this may, in some way, extend his career in a way it did not for others (at least I hope so).

Like him or not, it is going to SUCK when this talented man puts down his cue......it's a form of talent you will NEVER see again.....

Postby Wildey

I Think this World Championship has been a Good tournament however it would have been Much better had Ronnie lost.

its a myth that he ads something to the enjoyment of snooker yes hes a talented guy but he is so dominant that as a neutral unless he gets beaten you hope the right players gets through to make a final great well this week we have the right players. THANK GOD.

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

Wildey wrote:I Think this World Championship has been a Good tournament however it would have been Much better had Ronnie lost.

its a myth that he ads something to the enjoyment of snooker yes hes a talented guy but he is so dominant that as a neutral unless he gets beaten you hope the right players gets through to make a final great well this week we have the right players. THANK GOD.

We thought we had the right player at the masters and that didn't work out too well.

Postby Wildey

Ayrshirebhoy wrote:
Wildey wrote:I Think this World Championship has been a Good tournament however it would have been Much better had Ronnie lost.

We thought we had the right player at the masters and that didn't work out too well.

Selby was strugling during the masters i never gave him a shout he couldnt pot a long ball for toffee during the Masters final and Selby played to his limit to get 4 frames.

this week im much more positive in the form of Selby and the best hes looked for 2 or 3 years

Postby Holden Chinaski

It's a bit silly how heated these discussions gan get sometimes. Snooker is just a game and every player is out there to win. None of the players care what we say. Strange how fans can feel offended sometimes, myself included, when someone talks about their favorite player. I think we should be enjoying the snooker a bit more sometimes, instead of trying to prove who's the best player and who's not etc...
May the best man win.

Postby Wildey

Vallomas wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Hendry and Doherty playing an exhibition this afternoon.

I would also like to see an exhibition from Dennis Taylor and Steve Davis, as a rematch of the 1985 final.

unless your in the venue im not sure if it will be on tv anyway

Postby Roland

Holden Chinaski wrote:It's a bit silly how heated these discussions gan get sometimes. Snooker is just a game and every player is out there to win. None of the players care what we say. Strange how fans can feel offended sometimes, myself included, when someone talks about their favorite player. I think we should be enjoying the snooker a bit more sometimes, instead of trying to prove who's the best player and who's not etc...
May the best man win.

Agreed

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 PGC wrote:

Well then deal with it :wave: that's what great Champs do like Ronnie and Hendry-

Exactly.

Somewhere down the road another brilliant player is going to come along and he too will win matches by big margins and dominate the game. We need to embrace it and not see it as something that turns us off.

Hopefully, when that player does arrive he will bring with him a pack of players that can truly challenge him.

Postby Cannonball

Vallomas wrote:Ronnie is so gifted that can make people fall in love with snooker. Who else of this generation can do that?

No-one. No-one can make a 147 look easy. No-one can compile centuries with their wrong hand at pro level. No-one else has the talent and no-one else is loved as much. The bitter losers on here hate him, because they're here for psychological reasons anyway, saddoes with no life. They think it's some form of inverted snobbery or summat, it's just stupidity to not admire the greatest of all time. If you claim to be a snooker fan and you can't enjoy Ronnie, there's something seriously wrong with you.

Postby mantorok

My issue with this is who is going to carry the torch when Ronnie does pack up? Think about it, there were always top class popular players around, Hurricaine, White, Davis (!), Hendry, Williams, and currently Ronnie.

And if you think Ding is the one then that's laughable, zero personality and isn't even a WC yet, and sorry, but he's not that enjoyable to watch, too robot-like <- where's the appeal?

Ronnie is proving that when there's a champion in the room the current crop just can't hacki it under pressure, and it's embarrassing, for the game and for the players.

We need another popular winner, it should've been Trump, but it isn't because he's another JW without the personality, so who is it going to be? Because until that happens all eyes will still be on Ronnie, I'm afraid.