Topic locked

Re: World Championship S F 1 : Ronnie O'Sullivan v Barry Haw

Postby Blavdes

Wildey wrote:I Think this World Championship has been a Good tournament however it would have been Much better had Ronnie lost.

its a myth that he ads something to the enjoyment of snooker

A statement so ridiculous if you wrote this with a straight face then it's a bigger achievement than Robbo's CoC.

Postby vodkadiet

Sonny made a good point. Whatever sport you are watching, it can get boring if you are just seeing the same players year in year out. I used to like watching Federer, but it just got boring after seeing him in finals year in, year out. It is even more tedious watching Nadal playing on clay year in, year out. In addition, snooker is much more limited than tennis. Snooker is played on the same surface all the time. I also think that snooker players are mentally weaker than tennis players and only a few are mentally tough enough to threaten O'Sullivan in a big match. As he says, O'Sullivan isn't doing anything new, he just has a better mental attitude, which is actually making him more boring.

For those who are new to the game or only watch the game seldomly, O'Sullivan is attractive to watch, but that will wear off after a while. Of course there will always be fanboys, and will watch their hero day in, day out, year in, year out.

Snooker has another problem. O'Sullivan was 6-2 up on Hawkins after the first session and the match was over as a contest with 3 sessions left. Maybe it is time just to start all matches at 10am until there is a winner on the same day, and forget about all this sessions nonsense. All matches should be 25 frames and played to a finish on the day, with a few short breaks during the match. Maybe an hour for lunch?
Last edited by vodkadiet on 03 May 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby vodkadiet

Skullman wrote:The best thing about sessions is the element of psychology behind them and how the wait affects each player. I think something would be lost without them.

Yes, but the viewing figures must be taken into account. Imagine having best of 19 set matches at Wimbledon, and Djokovic coming out to play a final session 8-1 up in sets?

No matches should be more than 2 sessions, with the possible exception of the final.
Last edited by vodkadiet on 03 May 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Blavdes

vodkadiet wrote:Sonny made a good point. Whatever sport you are watching, it can get boring if you are just seeing the same players year in year out. I used to like watching Federer, but it just got boring after seeing him in finals year in, year out.

Personally I just don't understand this logic though it is fairly common. Invariably whoever wins a tournament whether it's snooker, tennis, golf, football whatever the best person/team wins. Most often that's been Tiger Woods, Federer, Barcelona and Ronnie. The world loves to watch them play because they are (or were) the best in their field so I don't understand when other people say they're 'bored' of watching them perform at the absolute peak in their chosen sport. Surely if you really love a sport even if you have favourites you can appreciate others winning, particularly when it's at such a high standard of performance.

I just don't get it. Watching sport played at such a high-level, almost perfect at times and people get bored of that? Maybe time to choose different sports to watch because if you don't like it at it's peak then what's the point.

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

In all sports a player will step up and raise the standard and it's up to the rest if the sport to catch up. Youngsters will emulate their heroes and usually surpass them. It's how we evolve. It's worrying that no one can touch ronnie. Current crop just not good enough.

Postby Skullman

Ayrshirebhoy wrote:In all sports a player will step up and raise the standard and it's up to the rest if the sport to catch up. Youngsters will emulate their heroes and usually surpass them. It's how we evolve. It's worrying that no one can touch ronnie. Current crop just not good enough.

My thoughts exactly.

Postby NNear

Blavdes wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Sonny made a good point. Whatever sport you are watching, it can get boring if you are just seeing the same players year in year out. I used to like watching Federer, but it just got boring after seeing him in finals year in, year out.

Personally I just don't understand this logic though it is fairly common. Invariably whoever wins a tournament whether it's snooker, tennis, golf, football whatever the best person/team wins. Most often that's been Tiger Woods, Federer, Barcelona and Ronnie. The world loves to watch them play because they are (or were) the best in their field so I don't understand when other people say they're 'bored' of watching them perform at the absolute peak in their chosen sport. Surely if you really love a sport even if you have favourites you can appreciate others winning, particularly when it's at such a high standard of performance.

I just don't get it. Watching sport played at such a high-level, almost perfect at times and people get bored of that? Maybe time to choose different sports to watch because if you don't like it at it's peak then what's the point.

Much stranger in the case of Ronnie though because he's never been that dominant. Look at this season: Robbo has won a Triple Crown event and has had his amazing centuries season, Ding has won 5 rankers, Ronnie has won a Triple Crown event among others. It's balanced and nobody is dominating like a Woods, Federer, Hendry or even Barcelona ever did. The other players on the tour are winning a lot of events and getting a lot of looks in. Ronnie hasn't even entered many of the events over the last 2 or 3 years.

Postby Andre147

The Cueist wrote:Wasley, He will develop .
I am sure of it.

Not too sure to be honest...

Jones reached the quarters here 2 years ago and since then we haven't heard of him, so I wouldn't be too sure about Wasley.

But he's a great talent so I hope you're right.

Postby The Cueist

Gj said Hawkins is so toygh these days, Lol!!!!!
Ron smashed him up with a session to spare.

I hve not posted on here much as it has got a bit sameyof late and there are a few know it alks who just spiut the same old crack.they know who they are.

At the same time I have enjoyed watching Ronnie play.
I was gutted hawkins beat dominic dale as he is a lovely fella and was very unluvky to lose that match.

Wasley was good in the first round.
Robertson I find painful to watch, I have never seen a player get down 3 to 4 times on a shot and then making eye contact with people in the drowd that have paid to see tbe match because they have daredvto breathe.

If he makes the final then he will need to get a grip against ronnie.

I am rooting for selby to win as afteral he is zn englishman and I am not a robbo fan.

The final could be very iinteresting .

Postby NNear

Writing off Judd Trump so soon? Trump and Ding may not even be halfway through their best years. It seems unlikely that an entire quartet would usurp them completely.

Ding especially was a prodigy as was Ronnie. Brecel threatened to be an equally impressive prodigy but it hasn't transpired. I don't think he's as impressive as the other two with regards to displaying immense talent at a very young age.
Last edited by NNear on 03 May 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby NNear

I wish there was a clearer understanding on how the tables have changed. I mean, does anybody know specifically when the tables got harder to play on whether that be cloth or pocket size/cuts? Was there just one main shift? Has it been a gradual thing over time? Are the tables in 2014 harder to play on than the tables of 2004? I know about the new cloths towards, was it the end of the 1980's?

Any more detailed information would be greatly appreciated. I know there are some real experts here and I'm really interested to know more.

Postby edwards2000

I'm surprised by this scoreline for sure. Ronnie just got on a roll, and perhaps lingering thoughts about last year cost Barry. I feel so sorry for the dude... he is so close to being world champion and Ronnie has road blocked him.