2%
Ray Reardon
No votes
Joe Davis
4%
other (please specify)
4%

Total votes : 50

Re: Who is the Greatest Player of all Time?

Postby vodkadiet

'Achievements outweigh opinion every time' - Clive Everton

Hendry's 7 world titles won't be equalled now.

Hendry G.O.A.T.

O'Sullivan FAKE G.O.A.T.

Postby Holden Chinaski

vodkadiet wrote:'Achievements outweigh opinion every time' - Clive Everton

Hendry's 7 world titles won't be equalled now.

Hendry G.O.A.T.

O'Sullivan FAKE G.O.A.T.

Reardon, Davis, Hendry, J. Higgins, O'Sullivan: G.O.A.T's

Vodkadiet: Frustrated Idiot

Postby Roland

GOAT debate = bull

Every GOAT contender has a nemesis during their career or a what would have been their nemesis prior to or post their glory days if they were in the same era

Hendry gave up as the competitive beast once he set the records and started a family, he took his foot off the gas. Ronnie was never mentally stable enough to win as much as his talent could have. Higgins went walkabout in what should have been his prime years and enjoyed his life too much. But as it stands they are the best three snooker players ever to have lived in my opinion and I hold them all in equal standing.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Sonny wrote:GOAT debate = bull

Every GOAT contender has a nemesis during their career or a what would have been their nemesis prior to or post their glory days if they were in the same era

Hendry gave up as the competitive beast once he set the records and started a family, he took his foot off the gas. Ronnie was never mentally stable enough to win as much as his talent could have. Higgins went walkabout in what should have been his prime years and enjoyed his life too much. But as it stands they are the best three snooker players ever to have lived in my opinion and I hold them all in equal standing.

Good post.

Postby GJ

Sonny

I know you have been a big critic of Stevens but do you think him never being WC is done to lack of work ethic or just his lack of bottle ?

Postby sahgalvishesh

I would also like to highlight that I believe it is not only Ronnie or Stephen Hendry, players like Steve Davis, Alex Higgins and Mark Selby should also be considered in this poll in order to make it more interesting and these giants are simply god of all time snooker.

Postby Roland

GJ wrote:Sonny

I know you have been a big critic of Stevens but do you think him never being WC is done to lack of work ethic or just his lack of bottle ?

Too lazy (use of the rest, not practicing enough) and yes, not enough bottle. He was 13-7 up in the 2000 final remember. Mark Williams played like god from that point but Stevens didn't stamp his authority. Williams won the last 14 frames 11-3 and it was one of the best performances I've ever seen in a world final.

Postby Roland

sahgalvishesh wrote:I would also like to highlight that I believe it is not only Ronnie or Stephen Hendry, players like Steve Davis, Alex Higgins and Mark Selby should also be considered in this poll in order to make it more interesting and these giants are simply god of all time snooker.

It's generally accepted that O'Sullivan and Hendry are the best two because they are such prolific scorers, and when Hendry came along he was quite clearly a level above Steve Davis at his best. As I said before the name missing for me in that list is Higgins.

Postby vodkadiet

Sonny wrote:

Too lazy (use of the rest, not practicing enough) and yes, not enough bottle. He was 13-7 up in the 2000 final remember. Mark Williams played like god from that point but Stevens didn't stamp his authority. Williams won the last 14 frames 11-3 and it was one of the best performances I've ever seen in a world final.

O'Sullivan's collapse from 10-5 up was the 3rd biggest collapse after White in 1992, and Stevens in 2000.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Sonny wrote:
sahgalvishesh wrote:I would also like to highlight that I believe it is not only Ronnie or Stephen Hendry, players like Steve Davis, Alex Higgins and Mark Selby should also be considered in this poll in order to make it more interesting and these giants are simply god of all time snooker.

It's generally accepted that O'Sullivan and Hendry are the best two because they are such prolific scorers, and when Hendry came along he was quite clearly a level above Steve Davis at his best. As I said before the name missing for me in that list is Higgins.

I agree. Ronnie, Hendry and Higgins are the best players to ever pick up a cue. The goat question is impossible to answer, but it's obvious for me those three are the best.

Postby vodkadiet

And they say O'Sullivan is the best front runner in the game!

Welsh Open Final 2008: lost 8-9 from 8-5 up against Selby

Masters Final 2010: Lost 9-10 from 9-6 up against Selby

World Champs Quarter 2010: Lost 11-13 from 9-5 up against Selby

World Champs Final 2014: Lost 14-18 from 10-5 against Selby

World Champs 2000: Lost 9-10 from 5-1 up against Gray

World Champs 2005: Lost 11-13 from 8-2 up against Ebdon

World Champs 2011: Lost 10-13 from 8-5 up against Higgins

Postby Jester82

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Sonny wrote:

I agree. Ronnie, Hendry and Higgins are the best players to ever pick up a cue. The goat question is impossible to answer, but it's obvious for me those three are the best.

Add Reardon and Joe Davis.

Postby GJ

Sonny

2005 finished Stevens , I thought he was a cert v Murphy and he some how lost.

To give Matthew credit getting to 6semis is a good effort and shows he had talent.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Jester82 wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Sonny wrote:

Well, if you're going to add them you surely must add Steve Davis as well?

Postby sahgalvishesh

Sonny wrote:

Point well accepted Sonny. I simply thought adding one or more names above to the poll would simply make it more exciting and more interesting to read as to after putting names like Higgins and others the votes would splitt up even more and we would get to hear about more people's views. CHEERS

Postby Jester82

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Jester82 wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Sonny wrote:

Well, if you're going to add them you surely must add Steve Davis as well?

Of course, and besides J Higgins, I'll also put Alex Higgins for e.g.. his famous break. He 'only' won two trophies, but will be remembered for his unique contributions to Snooker Gameplay.

Postby Roland

vodkadiet wrote:And they say O'Sullivan is the best front runner in the game!

:D

I want to frame that. The best front runner meets the best player coming from behind. Mind you there's plenty of matches he dicked Selby with a gap. Wasn't there a PTC final in Europe where Ronnie was 3-0 up and lost 4-3?

Postby Roland

2005 finished Stevens , I thought he was a cert v Murphy and he some how lost.

To give Matthew credit getting to 6semis is a good effort and shows he had talent.

Meeting Stevens in the final is the only reason Murphy is a World Champion

Postby GJ

True Murphy is just a potter and even after years on the circuit he has little tactical nouse.

Postby Roland

The draw opened up for him and he got lucky. Fair play to him, he took his chance and potted some brilliant balls. It's fair to say he doesn't enter into any GOAT debates 9 years later despite winning it at such a young age.

Postby vodkadiet

Sonny wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:And they say O'Sullivan is the best front runner in the game!

:D

I want to frame that. The best front runner meets the best player coming from behind. Mind you there's plenty of matches he dicked Selby with a gap. Wasn't there a PTC final in Europe where Ronnie was 3-0 up and lost 4-3?

I think there were 2 PTCS where he was 3-1 down and won 4-3. One was in Germany, and there was one just before the Champion Of Champions a few months ago.

Postby Wildey

Ive been on forums for about 8 years and one debate that has been constant is this one Nobody else gets much of a mention apart from Ronnie and Hendry in all that time.

Lets look at their Head to heads in a 10 year Period Between 1993 and 2004 that way you will get a more Accurate Picture of Prime Head to Heads no point looking at them post 2004 Hendry was clearly Past it

overall
Ronnie O'Sullivan 21-19 Stephen Hendry
Ranking Events
Ronnie O'Sullivan 9-9 Stephen Hendry
Finals
Ronnie O'Sullivan 7-4 Stephen Hendry
Ranking Finals
Ronnie O'Sullivan 3-2 Stephen Hendry
Majors
Ronnie O'Sullivan 4-5 Stephen Hendry
World Championship
Ronnie O'Sullivan 1-3 Stephen Hendry

As you can see there's nothing much between them so for everyone's sanity lets call it a draw

Postby Holden Chinaski

Wildey wrote:Ive been on forums for about 8 years and one debate that has been constant is this one Nobody else gets much of a mention apart from Ronnie and Hendry in all that time.

Lets look at their Head to heads in a 10 year Period Between 1993 and 2004 that way you will get a more Accurate Picture of Prime Head to Heads no point looking at them post 2004 Hendry was clearly Past it

overall
Ronnie O'Sullivan 21-19 Stephen Hendry
Ranking Events
Ronnie O'Sullivan 9-9 Stephen Hendry
Finals
Ronnie O'Sullivan 7-4 Stephen Hendry
Ranking Finals
Ronnie O'Sullivan 3-2 Stephen Hendry
Majors
Ronnie O'Sullivan 4-5 Stephen Hendry
World Championship
Ronnie O'Sullivan 1-3 Stephen Hendry

As you can see there's nothing much between them so for everyone's sanity lets call it a draw

Fair enough.