No votes
Ali Carter
No votes
Matthew Stevens
10%

Total votes : 21

Next 1st Time World Champ?

Postby Lou147

Who do people think will be the next 1st time World Champion? Personally, I think it'll be Trump, but I'd also love to see Ding or Walden do it.

Re: Next 1st Time World Champ?

Postby Lou147

TheRocket wrote:It would be better if you did a poll imo.

Judd will be the next first time World Champ I suppose.

Excuse me mate I'm new to this!

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Jimmy White

He already won the World Seniors.

Yes I was just waiting until someone mentioned that <laugh>

Anyway, Trump should be the next, and then maybe Ding after him, I hope.

Still can't believe though players like Stevens and Maguire never won it, and they won't now.

Postby TheRocket

Andre147 wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Jimmy White

He already won the World Seniors.

Yes I was just waiting until someone mentioned that <laugh>

Anyway, Trump should be the next, and then maybe Ding after him, I hope.

Still can't believe though players like Stevens and Maguire never won it, and they won't now.

Mags still has some sort of outside chance. He has the game to do it but not the temper.

But on the other side Ronnie is the only player he fears I'd say and if he avoids Ronnie I can see him winning it if he's really on fire.

For Matthew obviously it's over. It's a pity that he never won it. He was like 5 or 6 frames ahead in 2000 against MJW but unfortunately he's always been one of the biggest chokers among the very topplayers when it comes to closing the matches out. Similar to Jimmy White.

Postby PoolBoy

Mark Allen could be another decent shout.
Everybody ends up with egg-on-their-face when it comes to tipping future world champions!
Remember Kacper Filipiak?! He's still young, at 19, but hasn't developed as many (not just Ronnie) expected.

Postby armchair de critique

Ding.

2 things would help:

- decent draw, with tough R1 match. Too often he has weak R1 opposition then folds R2 vs hendo

- come into WC fresh and in form......he should be fresh as he has lost a lot recently, so just needs to hit some form

Postby Wildey

Dont think being fresh will help Ding he thrives on being in form and the same thing when hes out of form it snowballs with him.

He needs to go to Sheffield confident to stand any sort of chance

Postby SnookerFan

Ding certainly won't win it this year, he's playing like a flid.

I wonder if he'll ever when in Sheffield at all. He doesn't seem like he likes the venue that much.

Postby gcjdavid

SnookerFan wrote:Ding certainly won't win it this year, he's playing like a flid.

I wonder if he'll ever when in Sheffield at all. He doesn't seem like he likes the venue that much.

IKR. I'm betting that he can't progress to the QFs.

Postby armchair de critique

Wildey wrote:Dont think being fresh will help Ding he thrives on being in form and the same thing when hes out of form it snowballs with him.

I think the China Open and its expectation on Ding has not ever helped for him especially. All player who qualify have to travel there and back but he has 10 billion eyes on him - sometimes I think he comes to Sheffield mentally jaded.

If he can get a win in the last few tournies leading up to Sheffield then I would consider his form acceptable for a title push. Perhaps he will be fresher this year due to a lean few months prior to April.....showtime :D

Postby gcjdavid

armchair de critique wrote:
Wildey wrote:Dont think being fresh will help Ding he thrives on being in form and the same thing when hes out of form it snowballs with him.

I think the China Open and its expectation on Ding has not ever helped for him especially. All player who qualify have to travel there and back but he has 10 billion eyes on him - sometimes I think he comes to Sheffield mentally jaded.

If he can get a win in the last few tournies leading up to Sheffield then I would consider his form acceptable for a title push. Perhaps he will be fresher this year due to a lean few months prior to April.....showtime :D

Good point. However, the world's population is only about 7 billion.

Postby GJ

Michael White :hatoff:

Next 1st Time World Champ?

Postby Lou147

Posted a thread for this recently not thinking a poll would actually be a better idea. So, who do we reckon?

Postby sundaygirl

Aw bless you Lou for including Mathew Stevens as an option that's so sweet.
On a more serious note is Judd the youngest on the list?

Postby Lou147

sundaygirl wrote:Aw bless you Lou for including Mathew Stevens as an option that's so sweet.
On a more serious note is Judd the youngest on the list?

Included him and Carter purely because they've been losing finalists in the past. Personally don't see Carter winning it, and Stevens definitely not.

Postby davisfan

Just had a random vision of Michael White winning it, as per GJ suggestion above.

And why not? The modern game has a history of young players suddenly emerging from the pack and becoming The Man overnight. He's got some momentum - unlike large sections of the draw - and 23 is a good age to win your first world championship. :-D

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

The one positive for Ding is that he has a legitimatley terrible record at the Crucuble, only one semi and one other quarter final. He's not a nearly man like White and Stevens, the only other players to have UK & Masters titles and no World. The reason this is a good thing is because it means he has no mental scars in the later stages of the event, his only appearance at the one table stage was that brilliant match with Trump in 2011. Given how good a player Ding is he'll inevitably make it back there again at some point and at least he wont have the experience of bottling it previously. I still wouldn't be too confident of him winning it.

Postby Lou147

No one voted for Bingham then eh!