Topic locked

Re: Baic Motor China Open Semi Finals Discussion

Postby Vallomas

Top class performance by Mark Selby. Maflin was very good, as well, but on the 7th frame he threw away the opportunities he had (most of them because of luck) and Selby made the decisive step for the victory.

Postby PoolBoy

I've also just seen the frame scores - appears to have been a very high quality match.
Looking ahead to the second semi, I admit I don't know a great deal about Gary Wilson. I've only just discovered he's been on the main tour before but dropped off. I can't say I remember anything about him from then - did he do anything noteworthy, like even reach a venue?
He's a good example though, that dropping off the tour need not necessarily being the end of one's pro ambitions.

Postby Clara8633

PoolBoy wrote:I can't say I remember anything about him from then - did he do anything noteworthy, like even reach a venue?

He reached the QFs of the Welsh Open this season.

Postby Wildey

PoolBoy wrote:Yeah, I'm aware of that, but did he have any significant results in his first spell on tour?

in his first season on Tour 2004/2005 he played Mark Selby in the last 64 of the China Open which was won by Ding Junhui and Selby beat him 5-3 could he play Selby in the Final 10 years on?

Postby Wildey

Gary Wilson started this tournament ranked 56 and he is now guaranteed to be no 40 and if he wins the tournament he would be ranked 22nd.

thats how fast you can get up the rankings these days