Post a reply

Would you like to see the Masters being played in a multi session format?

yes
64%
no
36%

Total votes : 14

The Masters - Multi session format?

Postby TheRocket

Given the fact that the World Championship is the only tournament these days played in multi session format from first round on until the end I'd like to see the Masters being the second one

I'd like to see the bo17 format in the last 16,quarters and semis and as it is now, bo19 in the final.

Hearn shortened UK, that can be justified with that flat 128 system. But what about the Masters. Only 16 players , the top elite, and the multi session format would truly make the Masters the second most important tournament in Snooker imo.

Despite all the good reputation that bo11 system and the fact, you "just" have to win 4 matches to win it has always made the Masters look relatively weak in comparison to the World Championship and the (former) UK Championship.

Discuss (and vote).

Re: The Masters - Multi session format?

Postby Cheshire Cat

Best of 19s for the last-16 and QF, best of 33s for the SF, then a best of 35 final. Bazza, make it happen.

Jk. Realistically i'd like a best of 17 for the SF and keep everything else as it is now.

Postby PLtheRef

As much as it would be truly fantastic to see a second event alongside the World Championship have a format of two session matches it will remain seemingly very unlikely.

The only way the Masters is likely to get matches of Best of 17 from the early stages is if the Masters went to a two table scenario. Given that the Masters has always been played on the one-table set up - and has had a reputation as such it seems unlikely to happen, given a single table Best of 17 frame event would see it lasting a fortnight (not that many of us here would be opposed to that. - An alternative two session format may well be Best of 13 frames, with sessions of 6 and 7 (allowing for two matches per actual session) - but alas it does seem remote

Extending the play to nine days to allow for Best of 17 Frames seems like a good idea to me. It worked very well at the China Championship - where the logical step of making it a ranking event was taken :innocent:

Postby Andre147

Best of 17 for the Semis like the China Champs would be perfect, but it's not going to happen sadly.

As long as Hearn doesn't touch this to make it worse, I'm fine as it is.

Postby Wildey

i voted no.

if it aint broke dont fix it.

they been bucking about with the UK since 1993 and its a shaddow of what it was now.

the Masters Format is now perfect leave it alone

Postby SnookerEd25

TheRocket wrote: ...would truly make the Masters the second most important tournament in Snooker imo.

Despite all the good reputation that bo11 system and the fact, you "just" have to win 4 matches to win it has always made the Masters look relatively weak in comparison to the World Championship and the (former) UK Championship.

Discuss (and vote).

I enjoy watching any Snooker because, well, it's Snooker, but the Masters is the most over-rated tournament on the circuit, IMO, given the 'prestige' it has basically because the back-slapping old-boys club of the BBC fawn all over it. It looks relatively weak alongside the WC because it is. I'd rather steps were taken to restoring the UK to it's former glory.

Postby TheRocket

SnookerEd25 wrote:
I enjoy watching any Snooker because, well, it's Snooker, but the Masters is the most over-rated tournament on the circuit, IMO, given the 'prestige' it has basically because the back-slapping old-boys club of the BBC fawn all over it. It looks relatively weak alongside the WC because it is. I'd rather steps were taken to restoring the UK to it's former glory.

It looks weak compared to the World Championship, no doubt but its still a big tournament. And I suppose, we could say any tournament looks weak compared to the World.

But the Masters has some special prestige.

Its not everymans thing to play out there. Even Steve Davis and John Higgins often struggled out there and have noticeable weaker success in the Masters than they had in the World or UK. Peter Ebdon and John Parrott, two very solid players, have won the World and UK but not the Masters.

It's a different kind of pressure you have in the Masters. Only Top 16, The big crowd, one table set up, it just doesnt feel like your average snooker tournament.

Postby PLtheRef

TheRocket wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:

It looks weak compared to the World Championship, no doubt but its still a big tournament. And I suppose, we could say any tournament looks weak compared to the World.

But the Masters has some special prestige.

Its not everymans thing to play out there. Even Steve Davis and John Higgins often struggled out there and have noticeable weaker success in the Masters than they had in the World or UK. Peter Ebdon and John Parrott, two very solid players, have won the World and UK but not the Masters.

It's a different kind of pressure you have in the Masters. Only Top 16, The big crowd, one table set up, it just doesnt feel like your average snooker tournament.

The World Championship is always going to be bigger than the Masters because of purely what it is. The World Championship, the biggest event in the sport. An invitational will remain second fiddle to the Crucible even if dare I suggest it sees matches longer than best of 35.

That doesn't take any prestige away from the Masters though. It is and will always be a big event with the games leading players all in attendance. There are no easy games, a livelier crowd and no place to blend in.

Postby Andre147

I do agree with Wild though.

As long as Hearn doesn't touch this to make it worse, I'm fine as it is at the moment. Best of 17 semis would be perfect, but it«'s no big ideal if it doesn't happen.

The UK Champs is the one that needs major fixing.