Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters Final Ronnie O'Sullivan v Joe Perry

Postby Andre147

LC wrote:Didn't play well, but that was an important victory because of recent losses in finals, no matter how it was achieved starting this year with a title willl make last years disappointments easier to forget

Agreed.

Postby Erza Scarlet

So happy he won today even though he wasn't at his peak but he definitely needed this and one of the most important victories in his career.

It's been a long time coming to see Ronnie hold a major title record and the wait was worth it!

...what a day for me today watching federer then ronnie has drained me out :ppp

Postby eraserhead

Cheshire Cat wrote:Tbqh, the brown that he powered into the middle to get onto the blue was a fantastic shot to see the match out. Not sure that shot got the appreciation it deserved.

Yeah was a cracker given the context if he'd missed and left that who knows what would have happened.

Postby Gridlock

SnookerFan wrote:I stand by my opinions from earlier.

I congratulate Ronnie on winning.

I don't like his personality. I don't like a lot of the Ally Pally Ronnietards.

But he's clearly an amazing player, and will continue to scoff at those who say otherwise. I can acknowledge his skill, despite rarely wanting him to win.

Sorry these opinion bore/ offend some.

I'm going to bed.

Don't sweat it.
sincerely,
gridlock

Postby Andre147

Let's not forget he was 1 ball away from losing in the 1st round 6-4...

He didn't lose, and this win feels very much like the German Masters 2012 when Higginson should also have beaten him 5-0 and was 1 ball away from leaving Ronnie requiring snookers.

Tremendous win for Ronnie, hope he wins at least 1 more title before the Worlds, Welsh or GM who knows...

But even if he doesn't, at least he has won something this season already, and no less than a record breaking win!

Postby TheRocket

its interesting that he thinks he's cueing allright and he's actually confident but just couldnt show it due to his tip problems. well, we'll see. hope it's true. cuz if it's true he might win more this season.

atm im not confident in regard to the world championship. i think hes just making too many mistakes but if he somehow finds his form back and plays regularly at the level he played against selby in the second session of the UK final he has a good chance.

and atm many topplayers are struggling you have to say. could be a low quality world championship with some journeymen having a good time.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

This could be the pinnacle of Ronnie's career.

Not the performance of course but he finally surpassed Hendry in one of the most important stats out there. It also shows that the gap between him and his fiercest rival Higgins is actually quite big. He is miles ahead in terms of triple crown wins.

He had so many great moments, wins and dramas at the Masters over all these years. Let's just enjoy this tremendous victory and marvel at the greatness of today's milestone.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:This could be the pinnacle of Ronnie's career.

Not the performance of course but he finally surpassed Hendry in one of the most important stats out there. It also shows that the gap between him and his fiercest rival Higgins is actually quite big. He is miles ahead in terms of triple crown wins.

He had so many great moments, wins and dramas at the Masters over all these years. Let's just enjoy this tremendous victory and marvel at the greatness of today's milestone.

~Well said. :hatoff:

Ronnie! :D :D :D :happy: :happy: :happy: :win: :win: :win:

Postby Wildey

Cheshire Cat wrote:Hendry a little overcritical of Joe there. I know what he means, but that red he attempted was extremely difficult.

if you reach finals you either pot them or you lose its not over critical at all

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:Wait, who "blames" Steve Peters for Ronnie's last 5 years?

I think "thanks" is the word you're looking for; I haven't seen a bad word said about Steve Peters here or anywhere else.

That's a complete straw man argument.

I said that earlier, but apparently I missed the point.

But that wasn't what people were talking about, stop acting as if you're hard done by.

I actually made the same point as you and Wild after (I think) the CoC final - that Ronnie of old wouldn't have made those finals in the first place so wouldn't have had the opprtunity to play poorly in them.

You seem to think that means that fans aren't allowed to be concerned that he played badly in 3 finals in a row, and I just don't understand why you think that.

He didn't play badly in all of them. For example, he only lost by the odd frame to Trump, who had to play well to beat him.

fans have selected memory players has won plenty where the opponent hasent performed but because its a drubbing its seen as a unbelievable performance from Ronnie, Hendry or Davis.

Ive seen plenty of Finals where Ronnie or Hendry has played Better and lost than Finals they have won by a big score.

Postby TheSaviour

Well played, Ronnie O´Sullivan. He took foot off the gas pedal just during the right time! Did what he had to, and obviously Joe´s extremely hard to beat. So he had to play up to his very best to even have a realistic prospects to beat Joe. He took foot off the gas pedal. Comparing what he did against Marco. What a 122 break he made there!! I am still amazed with that. That was just as centuries should be. There were absolutely nothing. Nothing too dramatic. Just an effortless ease. With that usual Ronnie-rhythm and pace. Even that split from the black was absolutely perfect. Very well done playing like that. And now people can´t argue that hey, it was then but check out what he did yesterday.. Superb playing.

That´s nice to know he made a new record. That´s nice to know *3. But it won´t make that much difference, or help my addiction with a snooker. So I am still looking something which could solve even something. I got 999 problems with it, and so far those haven´t been solved at all. But that´s nice to know, too.. It was good that the system was many times tested. When there even wasn´t any alarm or a danger.. Now that we have a new record. We have the knowledge that the system works. Ronnie can play. Without that system working people might be in big troubles, sort of getting too excited and carried away.... And then.. Huh. :no:

Postby hendry_fan

Goog morning all,

Well,of course i,m disappointed,but tbh,not that much,bcause even bfore Ronnie won it last night for a record breakin 7th time,for me Ronnie was already the Master of the Masters.

Up until then,yes,he was tied on 6 with Hendry,but Ronnie was ahead on the final,semi-final + 1/4 final appearences,just look at his record,....

Ronnie:

Wins= 7

Final appearences= 12

Semi-Final appearences= 13

1/4 Final appearences= 19

Hendry:

Wins= 6

Final appearences= 9

Semi-Final appearences= 11

1/4 Final appearences= 16

Says it all does,nt it.

I did watch all of the final yesterday.

Even when Joe went 4-1 in front,i knew that he,d start to crack at some point,if he had of went 5-1 in front,i then would of had a glimmer of hope that he could,ve actually pull it off and cause one of the BIGGEST upsets the sport has ever seen and boy,he had a good chance to go 5-1 up but he missed a very gettable red which swinged the match around.

After it went to 5-2,he still had numerous chances,he could of gone 6-2 up or at least go 5-3 up.after the 1st session,who knows,he might have even gone 7-1 up,sepecially the way Ron was playin,<laugh> but,were back to the COULD,VES n SHOULD,VES,IF,S,BUT,S N MAYBE,S are,nt we,at the end of the day,he did neither,it ended up 4-4.

When it got to 4-4 i then knew that Joe,s missed the boat,Ronnie was,nt half there for the takin,but Joe just could,nt capatalise,let him off the hook,i thought that Ronnie would at some point at least go up a gear,at least for 2,3 frames and that Perry would start to miss more.

Even in the final session,Ronnie did play better than he did in the 1st session,he still did,nt play that great though and just as i thought,Joe started to miss one too many.

Joe suddenly did actually go back up a gear towards the end and won 2 on the spin,but i still knew Ronnie would,nt blow it,he still had a comfortable lead and there was no way he was gonna lose bein 8-6/9-6 up.

I have to say,even though Ronnie won,it,s the worst i,ve seen him play in a good long while,he really was there for the taking,especially if Joe had made the upmost of the numerous chances he had to do so,but as i say,instead of going 5-3,or 6-2 up in that 1st session,he blew key balls and the boat was then well n truly missed.

At the end of the day,it does,nt really matter how a player plays,it,s about winning,of course it,s great,especially for the players if they can knock in BIG breaks,even knock in a few tons and hardly miss a pot and play top in all other departments of the game,especially in the final of a tourney,but it just does,nt always work that way.

Ronnie won this RECORD BREAKIN MASTERS title,miles off his best,but who buckin cares!.

When one googles it,looks it up,whatever,it will show that he won it 7 TIMES,it,s now they,re,cemented in his CV,the record books,who knows,he might even go on and topple that.

There,s no young guns good enough coming through to be any real kind of danger to him,Ronnie even said that himself,so it,s up to the rest of the crop to take care of him,otherwise if he can produce and maintain a good bit of form,then he,s got every chance that he could keep on winning a good few more tourneys.

It really is time though that the current crop start steppin up and bcome more consistent though and get rid of fearing Ronnie and stop bottling,chockein,missing chances,cause many a time certain players get a good share of them.

I,d like to thank Joe on gettin as far as the final,he won,t forget that in a hurry,he played well throughout the tourney,in the final he played well in patches,but missed 1 too many i,m afraid,he obviously lacked the experience of being in such a tournament final,absolute new land for him,even though as we all know,he,s been a pro for donkeys years.

His win against his pal,(or maybe now,old pal Hawkins),i,m sure he won,t forget in a hurry neither. :-D

Hard luck joe,but well done all the same!. <ok>

And last but not least for the mom,

Verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry well done to Ronnie!.

The absolute MASTER OF THE MASTERS!. X7!.

:bowdown: <ok> :win: :clap:

Postby Dan-cat

Pink Ball wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:Both times O'Dullivan reached the final as defending champion he lost 10-9.

Kojak tells me you're not too keen on Ronald.

I think Alex0paul was having a bad day yesterday, after reading this thread through. Hope you feeling better today mate. Or... find another sport? :)

The soap opera that is snooker couldn't be more exciting at the moment if you ask me. Thrills and spills and story-lines, patches of genius play from different players. If Fu hadn't come up against an inspired Ronnie, we'd be talking about his revelatory recent play.

Interesting how many of you slam people for shouting 'come on' or whatever at matches. I wonder what percentage of those naysayers have actually been to a snooker match where their favourite player is playing? You should try it. Add two pints, and you'd be 'coming on!!!' with the rest of us.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:Both times O'Dullivan reached the final as defending champion he lost 10-9.

Kojak tells me you're not too keen on Ronald.

I think Alex0paul was having a bad day yesterday, after reading this thread through. Hope you feeling better today mate. Or... find another sport? :)

The soap opera that is snooker couldn't be more exciting at the moment if you ask me. Thrills and spills and story-lines, patches of genius play from different players. If Fu hadn't come up against an inspired Ronnie, we'd be talking about his revelatory recent play.

Interesting how many of you slam people for shouting 'come on' or whatever at matches. I wonder what percentage of those naysayers have actually been to a snooker match where their favourite player is playing? You should try it. Add two pints, and you'd be 'coming on!!!' with the rest of us.

I was probably being a bit of a idiot myself yesterday, too. Felt a bit bad about moaning so much.

Postby Incident on 57th street 20

It's the safety game that saved Ronnie yesterday.
He really progressed in this compartment of the game and it's really a good thing for the rest of the season.

Maybe a top player in place of Perry would have beaten yesterday but who knows?
Maybe also that Ronnie would have increased his level of play. is not that a great champion?
But we will never know.

In any case this victory I appreciate just as much.

New record of victories at the Masters.

One more record for the guy.