Post a reply

Jojobet.com Gibralter Open !!!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Wednesday 1st ~ Sunday 5th of March at the Victoria Stadium, Gibralta

For the second time this year the Gibralter Open will be taking part this time as a stand alone Ranking Tournament and not part of the now defunk European Tour.

Last time it was played in December 2015 and won by Marco Fu beating Michael White 4-1 in the final. Marco Fu will not be there defending the title but Michael White will be playig compatriot Matthew Stevens in the last 128.

Other players thats not entered includes Stuart Bingham, Ali Carter and Ronnie O'Sullivan.

But World and K Champion Mark Selby will be there hoping to get back on winning form after a disapointing time after his UK Win.

Who will be crowned Champion?

DRAW

Selected Last 128 Matches

Matthew Stevens v Michael White
Ken Doherty v Shaun Murphy
Zhou Yuelong v James Cahill
Liang Wenbo v Ricky Walden
Adam Duffy v Mark Selby
Sydney Wilson v Igor Figueiedo
Nigel Bond v Aditya Mehta
Daniel Wells v Kyren Wilson
Ross Muir v Mark Allen
Dominic Dale v John Higgins
Hossein Vafaei Ayouri v David Gilbert
Ding Junhui v Jason Weston
Jamie Barrett v Judd Trump
Scott Donaldson v Tom Ford
Fergal O'Brien v Ben Woollaston
Jimmy White v Kurt Dunham

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: Jojobet.com Gibralter Open !!!

Postby SnookerFan

sas6789 wrote:Stuart Bingham hasn't entered a tournament?? Wow that's a first

There was a rumour that he didn't enter the 1984 World Championship.

Postby Andre147

sas6789 wrote:Stuart Bingham hasn't entered a tournament?? Wow that's a first

No.

He didn't enter the NI Open this season.

Postby SnookerFan

LC wrote:The old European tour!

Oh I see.

Yes, it is really. You still have the Paul Hunter Classic, and erm... this. Have I forgotten any?

Also, there is the Players Tour Championship Finals coming up at the end of the season. I won't lie, I'm not sure exactly how that works. <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

The Rock of Gibraltar (Spanish and Llanito: El Peñón de Gibraltar, sometimes called by its original Latin name, Calpe[2]) is a monolithic limestone promontory located in the British overseas territory of Gibraltar, near the southwestern tip of Europe on the Iberian Peninsula.[3] It is 426 m (1,398 ft) high. The Rock is Crown property of the United Kingdom, and borders Spain. Most of the Rock's upper area is covered by a nature reserve, which is home to around 300 Barbary macaques. These macaques, as well as a labyrinthine network of tunnels, attract a large number of tourists each year.

The Rock of Gibraltar was one of the Pillars of Hercules and was known to the Romans as Mons Calpe, the other pillar being Mons Abyla or Jebel Musa on the African side of the Strait. In ancient times, the two points marked the limit to the known world, a myth originally fostered by the Greeks and the Phoenicians.[3][4]

Gibraltar is surrounded by the Mediterranean Sea and has no contact with the Atlantic Ocean.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_of_Gibraltar

Postby PoolBoy

SnookerFan wrote:
LC wrote:The old European tour!

Oh I see.

Yes, it is really. You still have the Paul Hunter Classic, and erm... this. Have I forgotten any?

Also, there is the Players Tour Championship Finals coming up at the end of the season. I won't lie, I'm not sure exactly how that works. <laugh>

Apparently. this year, it's the top 16 players on the 1-year-list.
Big prize money for the winner of £125k, bettered only by the Worlds and the UK!

Postby PoolBoy

SnookerFan wrote:Oh right. Still on ITV 4, I take it?

Better than this garbage they are showing now.

I don't know, SnookerFan, which channel is showing the Gibraltar Open.... :shrug:

Postby Andre147

PoolBoy wrote:

I don't know, SnookerFan, which channel is showing the Gibraltar Open.... :shrug:

I think he was asking which channel shows the Players Finals, and that's ITV.

Gibraltar Open is once again covered by Eurosport.

Postby PoolBoy

Andre147 wrote:
PoolBoy wrote:

Cheers, Andre.
P.S. Enjoy the Gibraltar tournament....! :-) :-)

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:
PoolBoy wrote:

Yes that's what I asking, and that's what I thought...

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:The Rock of Gibraltar (Spanish and Llanito: El Peñón de Gibraltar, sometimes called by its original Latin name, Calpe[2]) is a monolithic limestone promontory located in the British overseas territory of Gibraltar, near the southwestern tip of Europe on the Iberian Peninsula.[3] It is 426 m (1,398 ft) high. The Rock is Crown property of the United Kingdom, and borders Spain. Most of the Rock's upper area is covered by a nature reserve, which is home to around 300 Barbary macaques. These macaques, as well as a labyrinthine network of tunnels, attract a large number of tourists each year.

The Rock of Gibraltar was one of the Pillars of Hercules and was known to the Romans as Mons Calpe, the other pillar being Mons Abyla or Jebel Musa on the African side of the Strait. In ancient times, the two points marked the limit to the known world, a myth originally fostered by the Greeks and the Phoenicians.[3][4]

Gibraltar is surrounded by the Mediterranean Sea and has no contact with the Atlantic Ocean.

Interesting little history lesson there. i particularly like the last line.

Atlantic Ocean : "What's up bro'? You never ring or text anymore"
Gibraltar : "Up yours, Arsewipe"

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:

rofl

Postby SnookerFan

The Government recognises the benefits derived from the Gibraltarians' participation in sports and other recreational activities. Therefore, particular importance is given to the availability of facilities for the practice of these sports as well as making these available to anyone for booking allocations free of charge.

There is a large number of sport facilities in Gibraltar, of varying standards. These provide opportunities for locals and visitors alike to enjoy sport recreationally as well as professionally for the serious sport enthusiasts, where they can improve standards and have the opportunity to participate in local and international events.

The main sport facilities in Gibraltar are the multi-purpose Victoria Stadium and the Tercentenary Sports Centre. These include facilities such as artificial turf football pitches, water-based hockey fields, tennis and padel tennis courts, athletics fields, archery practice range, cricket fields, squash courts, golf practice range, climbing wall and multi-purpose sports halls for basketball, badminton, volleyball, netball, handball, five-a-side football, and martial arts among many others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_in_Gibraltar

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerEd25 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:The Rock of Gibraltar (Spanish and Llanito: El Peñón de Gibraltar, sometimes called by its original Latin name, Calpe[2]) is a monolithic limestone promontory located in the British overseas territory of Gibraltar, near the southwestern tip of Europe on the Iberian Peninsula.[3] It is 426 m (1,398 ft) high. The Rock is Crown property of the United Kingdom, and borders Spain. Most of the Rock's upper area is covered by a nature reserve, which is home to around 300 Barbary macaques. These macaques, as well as a labyrinthine network of tunnels, attract a large number of tourists each year.

Mega lolz!!!

Postby PoolBoy

I se that Spain's 9-ball pool supremo has entered this!

David Alcaide won the prestigious 9-ball pool masters tournament just last week - a competition that's only 2nd to the World Championships. (Pool's version of the snooker UK Championship!)

That was also in Gibraltar!!
http://www.skysports.com/more-sports/ot ... -gibraltar

He's got two preliminary rounds to win before reaching the main 128 draw. But, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was another case like Corey Deuel - just not good enough!

Postby kolompar

Yes, him and also Francisco Sanchez Ruiz entered, will be interesting.

On the other hand, Fu once again not defending a title :td:

Postby mantorok

davisfan wrote:That event poster is all kinds of wrong.

Which aspect?

The fact that 2 of the players aren't even showing up? The creepy look from Murphy? Or the fact that Judd is bent over with 5 ready-for-action men behind him?