Post a reply

Re: World Seniors Championship 2017

Postby SnookerEd25

The Herminator wrote:Hmmm. Industrial Garden Town. Is that a thing?

Used to be called a Cannabis factory in my day...

Postby Dan-cat

The World Seniors Championship – King Hendry the Eighth?

Filed under: Snooker News — snookerbacker @ 9:04 am

The King is back
There is a new improved look to this year’s World Seniors Snooker Championship and thanks to Jason Francis, the creator of the hugely successful Snooker Legends Tour it has now got back to what it always should really have been, a nod to nostalgia with some real competitive edge thrown in for good measure.

The headline of course is that the winner of the event at Baths Hall, Scunthorpe, will be lining up at Ponds Forge for the World Championship qualifiers and that a certain seven times world champion could quite possibly be that player. Stephen Hendry starts his journey on Thursday taking on, probably given that Willie Thorne can’t see the end of the table, Aiden Owens, a qualifier from the German leg of the four events held so far.

Hendry doesn’t start as the bookies favourite however as this honour goes to Peter Lines, quite understandably given that he is unquestionably the most active player in the field in terms of real match competitiveness and for me it is his to lose.

But wouldn’t it be nice if Hendry could do it? If he does, he’ll have a few weeks to really get his game in shape for the World Championship qualifiers and if that happens, who would want to draw him first round? It would also be quite a story to big up the qualifiers.

The road starts here anyway and the match schedule is detailed below. The matches are priced up at sponsors Bet Stars, with all four regional qualifiers favourite against their more recognisable opponents and it is hard to make a case for Willie, Patsy or Joe, though Tony Knowles may have a squeak against his opponent Jonathan Bagley you’d think. For me though Lines and Patrick Wallace are probably the two to beat, but like everyone else, I’ll be rooting for the Bairn.

You can watch the Seniors on your phone or connected device by searching for and downloading the Bet Stars app. It may also be possible to watch it on this site.

http://www.snookerbacker.com/2017/03/21 ... he-eighth/

Postby davisfan

Dan-cat wrote:Hendry doesn’t start as the bookies favourite however as this honour goes to Peter Lines, quite understandably given that he is unquestionably the most active player in the field in terms of real match competitiveness and for me it is his to lose.

buck that. Cliff Thorburn all the way. :mosh2:

Postby PoolBoy

It seems that John Virgo is commentating 'out loud'! As in, he's in the arena with a microphone and the players can hear him! Please don't let this become the norm!

Postby SnookerEd25

PoolBoy wrote:It seems that John Virgo is commentating 'out loud'! As in, he's in the arena with a microphone and the players can hear him! Please don't let this become the norm!

This happens on the legends Tour, so as this is an extension of that, I suppose it is not surprising (though not to be encouraged - the earpieces are bad enough)

Postby PoolBoy

SnookerEd25 wrote:
PoolBoy wrote:It seems that John Virgo is commentating 'out loud'! As in, he's in the arena with a microphone and the players can hear him! Please don't let this become the norm!

This happens on the legends Tour, so as this is an extension of that, I suppose it is not surprising (though not to be encouraged - the earpieces are bad enough)

I didn't realise that! I'm finding it very off putting! <laugh>

Postby PoolBoy

Joe Johnson 3-0 Patrick Wallace

That's a real surprise! Well played, Joe.

Patrick Wallace now has to 'lick his wounds' and prepare for Crucible qualifying. His defeat means that only the winner of this tournament will make the qualifiers.
(If Wallace had won the whole thing, then the runner-up would have been given the qualifying slot).

Postby PoolBoy

Patsy Fagan 0-3 Peter Lines

So, no Dennis Taylor versus Patsy Fagan match! :sad:
Lines, as expected, brushed aside the now 66-year-old Irishman.

Quarter-finals:

Stephen Hendry v Willie Thorne or Aiden Owens
Dennis Taylor v Peter Lines
John Parrott v Joe Johnson
Cliff Thorburn v Tony Knowles or Jonathan Bagley

Postby kolompar

rofl
I wanted to jokingly ask if he's doing it, because he usually is at these Snooker Legends exhibitions. Pathetic from World Snooker letting the winner of this play in the world qualifiers.

Postby PLtheRef

Not as surprising as it's meant to be a bit of fun but even still, it might well be a bit of a distraction - remember there is something relatively big on the line for this one a chance to enter the World Championship qualifiers.

I wonder if anyone who wins this might actually turn down the World Championship spot - possibly Hendry? He had such a good run in what proved to be his final World Championships. Would he want to run the risk of losing to a 17-32 player in the qualifiers (as he would probably be bound to face if the 17-144, 18-143 fixed draw eventuates?)

Postby SnookerFan

I always got the impression that Snooker Legends took themselves a bit too seriously as an organisation.

Remember that time they got an event on Eurosport?

Postby PoolBoy

Glad Willie got a frame!
Willie Thorne 1-3 Aiden Owens

And as CueView mentioned in his summary, Tony Knowles was really unlucky to lose in the manner he did!
But, seemingly he's feeling like another crack at Q-School! :dizzy:
Tony Knowles 2-3 Jonathan Bagley

Quarter-finals:

Stephen Hendry v Aiden Owens
Dennis Taylor v Peter Lines
John Parrott v Joe Johnson
Cliff Thorburn v Jonathan Bagley

Postby PoolBoy

John Parrott 3-0 Joe Johnson

Parrott disposes of Joe Johnson, with minimal fuss, it would appear.
Haven't really considered JP, until now, as a 'live' contender for winning this! I wonder if he'd take-up the option of playing in the Crucible Qualifiers, if he were to take the title?

Postby SnookerFan

PoolBoy wrote:Glad Willie got a frame!

Surprised by that scoreline. Apparently Willie Thorne made a couple of dozen maximums in practice.

Postby PoolBoy

SnookerFan wrote:
PoolBoy wrote:Glad Willie got a frame!

Surprised by that scoreline. Apparently Willie Thorne made a couple of dozen maximums in practice.

<laugh>

Postby PoolBoy

Dennis Taylor 0-3 Peter Lines

No surprise there! Peter Lines will take some stopping in this competition!

Semi-finals:

Stephen Hendry or Aiden Owens v Peter Lines
John Parrott v Cliff Thorburn or Jonathan Bagley

Postby Andre147

Hendry v Parrot would be a nice Final, brings back some of their matches from the past, especially the 3 Masters finals Parrot lost against him.

But Hendry v Thorburn would be nice too. Imagine Cliff winning the whole thing and competing in the World Qualifiers! that would be some story.

Postby PoolBoy

Just looked to see how old Thorburn is, and he's now 69!

Got me thinking of a bizarre 'stat'....what's the oldest known age a player has ever made a break of their actual age?!
Skullman needs to come out of 'retirement' and answer this question!

I could see a 70-year-old making a 70 break. But a 90-year-old making a 90 break - I really couldn't see that happening!!!

What do other posters think?

Postby Andre147

Haven't a clue to that question PoolBoy, but if I had to make a guess, Fred Davis would be my choice.

The man made a televised century break in the World Champs when he was in his 60s, and played until the early 90s, Ronnie even played against him back then, and I bet even then Fred could string a 70 or 80 break.

Postby PoolBoy

SnookerFan wrote:Could a three year old make a break of three?

Oh, definitely!
A 'break' doesn't have to be consecutive balls - just tap-in a green that's sitting in the jaws of the pocket.
Line them up - give them unlimited chances to hit the cue ball in that direction - bingo!
And they've only got to get it once in a whole YEAR!

And even a one-year-old, could tap-in a red over the pocket, from an inch away. given unlimited chances - even though they had no idea what they were trying to accomplish!

Fred Davis is a great shout, Andre!

Postby hendry_fan

Good evening Gentlemen and ladies,

I thought i,d come outta my hole again,i hope Stephen does,nt send me back in it. :roll:

Although i,m really lookin forward to seein Stephen play again,i,m at the same time a bit nervous,i at least hope he plays well,of course,i,ll be verrrry disappointed if he loses,it,s gonna be verrrry intrestin to see what he serves up.

COME ON STEPHEN!!!!,it,s time for a change,it,s time to stop waffling around,it,s time to get away from all that drink n booze you,ve been shovelin down of late,it,s time to cut down on the golf,it,s time to drain the swamp,it,s time,..........

,.....to get back playin snooker again,competin in tournaments again.

:happy: :-D COME ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN STEPHEN,THE TIME HAS COME!. :happy: :-D